$20 MGM Grand

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread is to discuss the $20 Trick at MGM Grand

2. Xtian

Xtian Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 2010 we had a Grand Queen room booked. Arriving at the airport we realized they had a check in there(only MGM has that, if it hasn't changed recently) and there was almost no one in there to check in. We got a lovely lady that just laughed when I did the whole "somewhat confused and shy European" and asked her "I think I'm supposed to ask you if there are any complementary upgrades".
    Got bumped to a Executive King Suite and got free admission to their nightclub(Then Studio 54?) and free transportation. All three rooms for $20/room.

3. VideoPokerNerd

VideoPokerNerd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most times this has not worked for me at MGM however one time I was offered a West Wing King Room which I thought was not much of an upgrade (I've stayed in one before) so I declined it.

"Maiden Vegas" UP THE IRONS!
    1st time at Luxor
  4. Zaal

Zaal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a trip over the Xmas holidays at this resort. I'll give this a try and report back on the results.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We failed with the "complimentary upgrade" in August. I guess I should have flashed the $20 first...:confused2: We would have paid for the price difference for an upgrade ($10/nt) to go from West Wing to the newer Grand Kings instead. But nope she didn't offer.

6. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I checked in on a Wednesday just before Halloween. Based on past experience, didn't even try the 20 dollar deal, just talked nicely with the gentleman checking me in. He upgraded me from a non-view Grand King to a Strip View Grand King. Had a nice view of NYNY, Excalibur, Luxor, Mandalay Bay, and a partial view of Monte Carlo.

7. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I arrive on 12/20 please update us on how it works. Thanks!

8. Knucklehead69

Knucklehead69 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only thing good about a West Wing room is the short(er) walk to the strip... They are OK for a solo trip but in my opinion too small for 2 people. Although, the last time I stayed in the West Wing I netted 10K (My biggest win ever) at the craps table so I'm sure I'll stay there again...

9. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am arriving tomorrow for a 4 day 3 night stay. All of my rooms are comp'd but I am willing to see if there is anything available with the trick anyway. Just last weekend MGM Detroit comp'd an overnight Saturday stay here so its worth a shot but probably not likely.

Once I check in I will report back here with the result.

10. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in last night. Gave her the $20 and asked if she had anything bigger for me. Went from West Wing king to grand king. Not much but it's an upgrade. She was very polite and it took her no time at all.

11. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just checked in. Slipped thevl desk attendant a $20 and went from a 6 floor room that was already comp'd all the way up to a Grand Tower room on the 18th floor.

12. PrincessaMyron

PrincessaMyron Low-Roller

Any idea if or how this would work during a convention? I'm in the convention block, King room and would love an upgrade. Thoughts? I'm a downtown girl, rarely stay on the strip, so any insider advice would be awesome!

Thanks,
    Lauren in TX

13. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I did my $20 trick in December the guy looked at it, thanked me and said he had nothing. Then I reminded him of the $20 he took and he seemed to remember and put me in my room on the 18th floor. The room was ready at check in at 8:00am when I arrived.

14. Jake&Avery

Jake&Avery Planning my next vacation!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we checked in this past January for 4 nights I'd already booked a King Executive Suite and gotten a pretty good rate from an offer they'd emailed me (a few weeks after I'd booked) so when I checked in I wasn't sure what I'd get when I slipped the $20!

We arrived at like 11am and check in isn't until 4pm but she was able to get us into a higher level King Executive with a good view at that time AND she threw in a fridge that was brought up to the room within 5 minutes of us walking into the room!

We were quite happy!

15. Dearns

Dearns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I have had quite a spontaneous 48 hours. Friday pm our next holiday was Aug 2017 to Spain. Sunday pm our next holiday is Oct 2016 to Vegas!

We're booked in at the MGM Oct 23-27 and this will be our first visit to Vegas since 2013 at the MGM. Obviously 3 years is a long time in Vegas and I'm expecting quite a few changes have taken place in the meantime. What is there that's new since last time that we need to check out?

Also we may try the $20 trick for the first time ever. We're booked into a West Wing room which we're perfectly happy with. We may be easily pleased but we found the room comfortable, furnished acceptably and big enough for what we needed. We also found the 'shortcut' way onto the strip via the West Wing lifts and the gift shop a bonus. If we were to try the $20 trick what would be the best to ask for? Is it a grand king?

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ask for a junior suite. Grand king is just their regular room.

17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta love that shortcut! We stayed in the West Wing on our first trip. My wife refused to take the shortcut the first few times out to the Strip. She didn't believe it was a shortcut. Finally, I told her I'd race her to the front of the Grand Canyon store and I won by a good twenty-five minutes.

It's fun to emerge from that side street and see NYNY across the way and then the Strip come into view.

RICHARD

18. BigWW

BigWW High Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dearns I got a spa suite once. I just told the nice lady we had to stay in west wing last trip so if she had any complimentary upgrades we would be much obliged. I joked and asked for a suite or something up high facing the strip. Best 20 dollar sandwich to date for me.

19. Dearns

Dearns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would definitely be worth throwing $20 at and seeing the response.

20. vegasswimmer

vegasswimmer Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This totally works at both MGM and NY-NY, as recently as this summer. Significant room upgrades at both hotels and a free buffet at MGM, too