$20 The D

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by BlackJackLady, Aug 20, 2013.

1. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since The D is not listed under the 20.00 trick section, I'm wondering if any of you have tried, if so what were results and what are the upgraded rooms like?

2. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried last January, I checked in at 3:00am and the clerk was not familiar with the concept? First time ever I have been stiffed on the twenty-dolla-holla?

I have had great success at the Golden Nugget and the Plaza... upgraded to suites every time over the years. They decline the tip at MSS and Cal as the suites always seem reserved for the snooty-patootie Emerald Card holders... but I keep trying?

3. orangehigh

orangehigh Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The D $20 trick

I tried it last December over Nascar awards weekend and got me an upgrade to a corner king room. Was happy with the rooms that had recently been redone. Elevators SLOW.

4. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Upgrades at D with a $20?

Has anyone here been able to get a $20 upgrade at the D while staying on a comp? If yes, can you give some details as to what the upgraded room was.

5. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just one person's experience, but I gave the clerk $20 during my August visit.

In return, he gave me their lowest quality room.

Having said that, I had a great time there! The food outlets were super ( D Grille, American Coney & Andiamo's ).

Really not complaining, but you asked.

• Like Like x 2
  6. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, yes, it was a comp.

7. frodogizmo

frodogizmo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a Corner room (not facing the Fremont), it was ok for us

8. GrtWitHntr

GrtWitHntr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's not really much to "upgrade" at the D. Outside of the very few suites they have (that are 98% of the time reserved for "Invited Guests") the rooms are really all the same layout. The only difference between a corner room and a standard room is that the corner room has wrap around windows that may give you a little better view. If that's important to you then a $20 sandwich might be worth it. I've also gotten corner rooms on many occasions without even asking for it. I usually just ask for a room away from FSE and on the highest floor possible.

9. maineguy

maineguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried last month....the clerk simply handed back the 20 without comment.

10. downtowndonna

downtowndonna Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried last April, and the clerk didn't take the $20, telling me she had nothing available. The room I got was nice though. I was staying on a 3 night comp. Going to try LVH this August.

11. mkcoroner

mkcoroner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...five night stay at the end of July and early August (Tues-Sat). With my comps I paid for only one of the nights. I did the $20 sandwich at check-in and made no verbal requests. I was originally booked in a king room and was given a corner king room on the 33rd floor...included a refrigerator and a great view. Despite the issues with my room key at check in (4 trips down to the front desk), a toilet that flushed properly only on a few occassions and the elevator problems on Saturday night it was a nice stay. $50 for 5 nights in a very nice room...I can overlook some inconveniences; however, I will look at other places/comps before I return to the D. MK

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be there for my next trip, staying three nights (mid-week) on a comp. Hopefully, the $20 "sandwich" at check-in can score me a corner-king.
    I'm curious if others have had more-recent success with this, since mkcoroner's post is over 2 years old.

Annual Spring Trip!
  13. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't give you insight on the $20 trick (I checked in at 4:00 am the one time I did stay at The D and my room was the only one they had left, so they couldn't have upgraded anyway).

What I can give you insight on is the corner king room. It's excellent. Not quite a "suite", but it definitely feels a lot more roomy and full of life than one of the regular rooms. In case you're wondering how I know about the other rooms if I only stayed there once, they put me in a smoking room when I specifically requested non-smoking, and tried to shuffle me around to a few other rooms which all sucked, so I put up with the smoke and kept the nicer room.

Keep this thread fresh and let us know how it goes!

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  14. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will try the $20 & ask for a corner-king to see what happens... I'm mildly hopeful, as I'm staying there mid-week, so one would think that there would be plenty of rooms available... but either way, I'll report back here... if I remember, I'll do that from the room after I unpack.

Annual Spring Trip!
  15. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a classic room with resort fees included booked, through booking,com, and tried this myself.

She said that she could upgrade me to a corner king on the 32nd floor for $10 a night, so I gave her the $20 anyway.

16. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting... if they offer me the same with my comp, and still charge no resort fee or tax, I'll certainly be willing to make it $30 instead of $20 & cover my 3 nights.

Annual Spring Trip!
  17. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worked on a Tuesday when I checked in. Got a corner king on 8th floor, facing east. No trouble sleeping, elevator system works great and check in was fast and easy. Played a lot at their UTH table, so if any of you were there, you may have spotted me.
    Room was nice and bed was comfortable. I'll stay there again!

(edit to fix hang-over based typos)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Annual Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. rmbjm314

rmbjm314 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at 4Q last time and while on the 19th floor I could still hear the Fremont St. music pretty clearly. Any suggestions as far as getting a quiet room at The D? Ideally a room that allows smoking. Do their suites allow for smoking? Thanks in advance for your help.

19. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd ask for an east-facing room (faces Walgreens), on a higher floor. They do have smoking rooms.

Annual Spring Trip!
  20. Military Mike

Military Mike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used the sandwich trick and got a 34th floor corner sweet facing freemont street. Not a bad room.

• Like Like x 2
Tags: