$20 Vdara

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread is to discuss the $20 Trick at Vdara.

2. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of success have people had with the trick at Vdara? I just booked a 2 night stay for August 5-7 (Wed-Fri) in a deluxe suite. I'd love an upgrade to a Vdara suite now that I've read somewhere that coffee makers are only in Vdara suites and above. While views would be great, we don't care that much. The difference was about $30ish/night.

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spend the $30, Vdara suite has a guest bath and full size fridge and kitchen, trust me

4. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... It's not much more so I might just do it, but I was curious what kind of upgrades people got. Is there a chance they'd upgrade to anything higher than a Vdara suite when a deluxe was booked?

5. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vdara is kinda small so free upgrades are rare, even with the $20 sando

6. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. I wanted to know what my chances were for an upgrade before I booked a nicer room. We've stayed at the Signature the last 3 years when we've made this trip in August on the way home from Utah and have been very happy with their studio suite. We decided to try Vdara this year also and split our stay to take advantage better deals I found.

7. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you'll love Vdara, much closer to everything

8. tnyqst

tnyqst Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BACKGROUND: I booked a Deluxe Suite at Vdara in mid-April for Saturday May 30 - Monday June 1. We chose the Vdara because this trip was intended to be a surprise birthday gathering for a family member. Her husband was doing most of the research and planning and found a promotion at Vdara for $75 food and beverage credit with a minimum 2 night stay and a rate (average of $204/night) that was better than any other hotel on his list - Aria/Bellagio/Mirage/Caesars Palace/Venetian/Palazzo/Wynn. I also made a reservation for a Pool Cabana. Less than 5 days later, I was sent an offer by e-mail from Vdara to upgrade to a City Corner Suite for $38/night, which I accepted, bringing my cost to $242/night - when I originally booked the Deluxe Suite, I checked the rate for all other room options and the City Corner Suite was $268/night and the Lake View City Corner Suite was $285/night.

With 12 family members at Vdara and another 8 at Bally's, I thought we might need a comfortable and private place to gather at times, and I knew I was going to try the $20 trick at Vdara, so I made the decision to bump it up to $50, and specifically ask for an upgrade to a Two Bedroom Penthouse or Loft. (I had checked the Vdara room virtual tours and floor plans, YouTube, TripAdvisor, etc. and I knew what I would accept for the $50 trick). I arrived at Vdara to check-in at 10:20 AM and slipped the agent at the front desk the $50 sandwich and asked about the availability of the specific rooms I wanted. He laid my credit card, ID and the $50 out above the keyboard and went furiously to work. After a couple of minutes of typing on his computer, he went into the back and returned a few minutes later with a sad look on his face and informed me that there were no Two Bedroom Penthouses or Lofts available. I asked him to check and see if there were any One Bedroom Penthouses or Lofts available, as that would still be more space than my City Corner Suite. Again, he typed on his computer for a couple of minutes and went into the back, returning a few minutes later with the same sad look and informed me that there were no One Bedroom Penthouses or Lofts available. I asked him what other options he might be able to offer me, and he went back to work on his computer, After heading into the back one final time, he came out and informed me that the best he could do was offer me a Two Bedroom Hospitality Suite on the 14th floor for an additional $200/night or a complimentary upgrade to a Lake View City Corner Suite on the 31st floor. I chose the Lake View City Corner Suite - I wanted the extra room, but the extra cost was not reasonable. Had they offered me the Two Bedroom Hospitality Suite without the extra charge, I would have chosen it over the Lake View City Corner Suite.

I spent 20 minutes at the Front Desk checking in. At the end of the transaction, the Front Desk agent held up the $50 and asked "Is this for me?" I answered "Yes, not just for the upgrade to the Lake View, but also because I appreciate your effort in trying to get me into a larger room." And whenever my family did gather in a room, it was ours, because of the extra space and the spectacular view of the Bellagio Fountains (they all had southern facing rooms).

• Like Like x 1
  9. MDogg

MDogg Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at Vdara this past fall and had booked a "Studio Parlor Suite". I had read on another site that some nicer hotels frown on the "$20 sandwich", so instead of just slipping the counter guy a $20, I just simply asked first for an upgrade. He took a look at our reservation, noticed we were MLife members and that we were staying for 5 nights. He said "let me go talk to my manager". He returned a few moments later and we were upgraded to a "Executive Corner Suite"! This was quite the upgrade--full kitchen, 1.5 baths, living room, dining area, washer/dryer--amazing. When he was finished checking us in I gave him $20 and thanked him. I was actually unfamiliar with the Executive Corner Suite, and had I been, I would have given him more than $20!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome news, MDogg! :thumbsup:
    Welcome to the Board! :D

RICHARD

11. rasmus12b

rasmus12b Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have booked the parlour suite as well for the next trip. If we are not as lucky as MDogg and can not get the room upgrade, what view should we ask for? Are there any parlour suites with a view of the Bellagio? Anything else?

12. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello Board,
    We have a trip booked 04/28/17 - 04/30/2017 in a Studio Suite, the least expensive option. I stayed at Vdara numerous times in the past, my first time I splurged and got the Panoramic Suite... My question is ... What are my chances upgrading to the Panoramic Suite from the Studio Suite if I slip a $50? The $20 dollar trick has worked for me in the past but just for a Studio Fountain View... Keep in mind the pin-up convention is that weekend as well so rooms are extra pricey... My only concern is that they won't have anything available but a Studio Fountain View and I'm not really up for paying $50 for a Fountain View. Any insight will be appreciated.

13. rasmus12b

rasmus12b Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually $20 or $50 will have the same effect, so really no reason to make this more expensive than $20. If the clerk can do something for you, he will. Most clerks will also return your tip if they are unable to do anything for you.

14. tommy JC Nguyen

tommy JC Nguyen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i book the panoramic suite..that next to corner
    .and man..i love the room

but jesus.the parking suck

15. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to be staying here during international fight week, and see they have 2 styles of base rooms.

Is it just a case of asking for which you'd prefer at check-in, or are the parlor style ones considered an upgrade?

16. Jidery

Jidery Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The parlor style is an upgrade. Though you should have no problems with a $20.

17. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent. Thanks very much.

18. secretmachines

secretmachines Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Upgrade from City Corner Suite > Panoramic suite

I didn't try the $20 trick as I was checking in a couple of hours early, so just wanted a room. Had a nice chat with the clerk at the desk, no mention of upgrades, etc. But when we checked in to the room, realised it was a panoramic suite!

Checked in on a Monday for a 3 night stay, so i guess they had good availability :)

19. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice upgrade! Sometimes a nice chat is all it takes! Good luck!

Annual Golf Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  20. secretmachines

secretmachines Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I genuinely think that if you're friendly and they have an upgrade they can offer, they'll sort you out.

Plus timing plays a big part I think :)