$20 Plaza

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by SH0CK, May 15, 2013.

1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Discussions on using the $20 trick at the Plaza.

2. myvegas79

myvegas79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't bother

Stayed here last weekend and tried the trick. The nice lady told me they aren't allowed to do that anymore, but you can pay to upgrade for a view of the strip (uh, with binoculars?) for $10. It was fun to try for the upgrade but it sounded like they've tightened down on trying to get a nicer room.

3. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, good info.

4. Earthman

Earthman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The $20 trick worked great for me; at about 1:30 on a Monday afternoon, I was able to get a standard comped room upgraded to a mini-suite in the south tower. The clerk's eyes lit up like a little girl's on Christmas morning when she found the meat in the sandwich. It's a very nice room, and we didn't hear a thing from Fremont Street last night. Nice big rooms (except the bathroom, of course), nice furnishings, nice amenities: K-cup coffee, refrigerator, wet bar, 1 1/2 bath, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion, and vegetable soap (seriously!). Score!

5. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    quick question, Earthman - on that Keurig coffee - did that result in a room charge, or is it complimentary?

Annual Spring Trip!
  6. Earthman

Earthman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure that it's complimentary in this room - there's no sign that says otherwise. Two K-cups of Donut Shop original. I don't know if this is available in all of the rooms - this is the first time I've stayed here since before the remodel.

7. Former Plaza Host

Former Plaza Host Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The room he is referring to is one of our suites. The coffee maker is standard in our suites.

8. binkie

binkie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    4 nights early September-Flat out refusal at desk. But room was Great-Handicapped with large bathroom view of Strat and Smith Center-Our stay was Good!!!!

9. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, I tried the trick checking-in for a several-night stay this summer, and despite holding the $20 out in the open enough that the clerk obviously saw, I was given the option to "upgrade to ________ for $__ per night". No matter how good of a deal that is, it's kind of not the point, right? This is my favourite hotel in Vegas by far, so I will be staying here on my next trip down, and trying the trick again to see if it yields a different result next time.

For whatever it's worth, the first time I stayed here (July of 2014), the room I got was tiny (about 300 square feet, south tower) compared to the room that I got on this summer's trip (about 500 square feet, north tower). So perhaps the clerk gave me one of the better rooms available for at least attempting to take care of him with the $20. As someone who's been in hospitality, that's something I'd have done for a guest, anyway.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  10. dmacw2619

dmacw2619 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does it cost to upgrade to a suite at Plaza?

11. Ninjamom

Ninjamom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HI guys I was going to try to room upgrade at the Plaza but I am arriving kinda late do you guys think I'll have any luck upgrading after 8 pm?

12. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The trick is highly YMMV everywhere. It depends on the occupancy and sometimes just the mood of who you get at the fd. Plaza now has the luxe rooms though, so there is at least more of a category to upgrade to.

• Like Like x 1
  13. truflshufl

truflshufl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $40 sandwich got me an upgrade from a standard king to a 1 BR suite in the south tower

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice! How many nights?

15. truflshufl

truflshufl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    4. We were direct booked under the “Old School Fun is Back” promo

• Like Like x 1
  16. rdunc311

rdunc311 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked in a 2 queen Luxe room coming up in a couple weeks. Does it make any sense to try the $20 trick for an upgrade? I’m not seeing any other rooms above the Luxe that have two beds (aside from the top of the line suite) and we need two beds. Thanks in advance!

17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you need two beds, then whatever's listed as the two-queen room is probably the way to go. The vast majority of Vegas rooms above 2-queen basic rooms are a single king only, though you could potentially get a rollaway.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really, in my opinion. From the two bed Luxe room, about the only choices are going to be suites of some kind, and you're likely not going to get one of those. I would not try the $20 trick unless I was able to name what I wanted when passing the $20. Like at the D I'll say, do you have any available Corner King upgrades? As I passed the $20.

In general downtown can be more difficult for the $20 trick, just due to the fact that most of the hotels have an abundance of "normal rooms" and then a handful of suites which are reserved and may not be available to the front desk.

• Like Like x 2