$20 The Cromwell

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by VegasDave, May 28, 2014.

1. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wondering if it works at the new hotel and there are lots of affluent individuals on this board that may have/be staying there soon. I know there is a forum but I can't figure out how to post a new thread to that one.

2. fishyducky

fishyducky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I decided to add a night to my 4th of July trip and booked The Cromwell. Been hearing nothing but good things. Wondering the same thing.

3. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are there June 13th - 16th.
    Luxury King strip view.
    We shall see how it is.

4. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone here had any success with a good ol' $20 sammich? I have a comped room from Sun-Wed in late June, so I'm curious if staying midweek may help bump up to a suite (since they seem to go straight from basic room to suite...no "go room" equivalent or anything). With it being a comped room, I'm not sure if that helps or hurts my chances, but does free up a little more money to add some meat to that sandwich if needed.

5. ksenn

ksenn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive actually had the same question but didnt ask yet. My guess is that you'd get the Luxury room that has the "view". That is what is between the deluxe and the lowest suite. From what Ive read the comped rooms are normally the ones without any kind of decent view.

6. gamblersruin

gamblersruin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed there Sun-Wed in a comped Luxury King booked through my CET marketing person. Tried $20 sandwich with a dream of a suite but Christine politely explained I had the nicest room. I doubt they were booked so I'm guessing suites are reserved for host use or anthology purchase.

7. TimWhalen

TimWhalen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good try. I stayed there in the fall and chickened out on the attempt. I feel like this is the first time I have read a $20 attempt at the Cromwell.

8. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to give it the ol college try on Sunday...will report back.

9. Xtian

Xtian Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried a $50 sandwich in November 2014. The guy politely said that they had no available suites for us(booked a Deluxe Queen) because Chris Brown was playing at Drai's and that the auto show was starting some days after. Got my note back though and we were comped entry to the Chris Brown concert (not sure if that was for all guests of the hotel though..). Still, very much bang for the buck and very nice hotel, definitely a favorite!

10. Danny1970

Danny1970 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Old.jpg
    New.jpg

The old and new situation. Memories go back.

11. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone tried the $20 trick at Cromwell in the last couple years? I assume with the limited rooms in the hotel, it is harder to get upgrades?

12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  13. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a $20 tip, you might get a slightly better view, as they do have rooms on the website that they refer to as "strip view"....won't be that impressive as the highest floor is the 7th.

Given the undoubtedly small number of suites, I would think that your chances of $20 getting you an actual room upgrade are basically zero.

14. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of Cromwell's 188 rooms, only 19 are suites.

We had 2 "Luxury"(strip view)King rooms comp'd.

The strip "view" isn't much.

I will say they did a great job making those small rooms feel comfortable and not cramped.

15. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's fair and, honestly, what I assumed after reading up on the hotel. I really don't want a room facing that inside wall though.

16. Slogos

Slogos Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No luck with $20.

Stayed there for 3 nights (Tues-Fri). Slipped the front desk clerk the $20 with my ID. Politely asked whether any upgrades were available. He set the $20 beside my ID and said he would check. He disappeared into a side office, and then came back and returned the $20 to the top of the desk, near me. He told me that he couldn't do a complementary upgrade, but could offer me a suite for $100/night more. I declined.

I told him to keep the $20 for trying. I thought that might result in a nice view, but I was wrong. We ended up on the 8th floor, with a view of a concrete wall belonging to the Flamingo. So, my attempt was a bust.