$20 New York, New York

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. james_james383

james_james383 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NYNY and Golden Nugget are the only resorts at which I have never had success with the tip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. fuzzyduck88

fuzzyduck88 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried it hear a few years back, the receptionist was was very friendly and was asking about our honeymoon, we got an upgrade but don’t know was it as a result of the tip or the honeymoon!

3. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What room am I aiming for with the $20 trick? I'm staying at NYNY May 27th - 31st in a "Park Premier King Room". My basic requests are these:
    • Non-smoking room
    • Bath Tub
    • And one King bed, not two doubles.
    • Fridge
    I obviously want to shoot for more than a standard room, which I believe the Park Premier is. Any suggestions on what type of room I should ask for? Thanks in advance!

July 19th - July 24th
  4. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been able to get an upgrade at NYNY with the $20 sandwich, but, it's always worth a shot. Maybe ask for a Madison Ave. King (larger but less outlets) or spa suite w/ a fridge? I feel like asking for an upgraded room with a fridge gives you a better chance of getting a free fridge for the stay if they can't give you a room. On a side note, if you want a free fridge you can say you have medications that require refrigeration and they will accommodate you. I really do need a refrigerator for my meds and never been asked to verify (ex. show them the medication) at check in anytime I have stayed there.

5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Park premier rooms look to be the second tier, with Park Avenue rooms being the basic. Not sure about the fridge, but the one you have should check all the other boxes.

An easy upgrade would be to a view room, but I'd shoot for a Spa suite or Marquis suite. Another more than that and you'd be lucky.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can try for Spa Suite, or Marquis Suite. Both have jetted tub. Marquis suite is a bit bigger with a divider between the tub and room. Next up would be one bedroom luxury suite. All of them have jetted tubs and king beds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, all! I am going for a Spa room. The set-up of the Jacuzzi in the main room is hilarious and fun!

July 19th - July 24th
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @EastCoastVegasFan! - if you don’t have a fridge in your room, order one for your “medication” They won’t charge or ask. Tell them you need a big one. Player Suites come with unstocked fridges.

• Love Love x 1
  9. james_james383

james_james383 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you are going for a suite, there really isn't much difference between the other rooms.
    Even being given a room with a strip view isn't really an upgrade to me. NYNY doesn't have many, if any, fantastic strip views.

10. james_james383

james_james383 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried the trick on 2/25 on a comped room. Was told they were booked for the week (I find difficult to believe) so no upgrades possible.

...but if I wanted to PAY for the upgrade, rooms were available. Hard pass.
    FYI, being MLife Platinum didn't help at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. PapaNPearl

PapaNPearl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just tried this for a 4 night stay starting on 10/25 and was told the same thing (booked up) by the girl behind the counter. I asked how could I give her the $20 then? She shrugged. I asked if there was a fridge in the room, she said no but could send one for $25 a night. I said that was too much and could not pay that. She asked if it was for medication, which I said yes. She said she would comp it then, and I gave her the $20. Not really an upgrade, but it saved me $$$.

It was not a lie about the medication. I am told if I don't have a cold diet coke in the morning, I am very irritable and difficult to live with.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chill26

Chill26 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went December 2021 and No Luck with the $20 sandwich.

13. FutureLocal

FutureLocal Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a MyVEGAS Comp. Did $50 in an attempt to upgrade to the spa suite, did not tell him we wanted the suite, if we had asked we MAYBE would have gotten it but instead they moved us to a room that was so recently renovated it wasn’t available when we first looked at booking. We straight up found some drywall in a corner they didn’t get that’s how new it was. Rest of the room was ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS. Strip view, newly renovated, super comfortable beds, great bed covers, for two nights it was 100% worth it.

• Informative Informative x 3
Tags: