$20 Excalibur

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the thread to discuss the $20 Trick at Excalibur.

2. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in at Excalibur MLIFE registration desk (even tho I'm lowly Pearl) on July 29 for six nights, two of which were comped. Showed clerk $20 and asked if there was anything she could do for me. She upgraded me to the Contemporary Tower (big deal) with a strip view. Again big deal, 1st floor, apparently only a couple of floors are smoking floors, but could see MGM Grand, New York New York and Monte Carlo. Asked about a mini fridge for the room, and she gave me one for no charge. Saved $25 a night for that. So the $20 was worth it.

3. Shoftiel

Shoftiel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    50/50

I have stayed twice, both times comped. the first time it was my birthday trip and they gave me an upgrade from a standard room to a room with a whirlpool.

Second visit 5 months later same room booked, this time I used the invited guest check-in $20 dlls and they declined to give me a free upgrade and lady at the counter said that I could pay for it.

4. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just asked and got the north tower which is better clean and quite spacious. I had no complaints and NO $20 necessary. There is not really that much available. It's not like they are going to have a suite or anything like that. Next time just ask without the bribe.

5. Vtamanda

Vtamanda VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a Royal tower room booked and I was offered a strip view upgrade for a fee. I said I am happy to tip you twenty if you can do it as a comp. the clerk did a sly look around and then said she wasn't permitted to do that. I said ok, just give me what i booked. And that was what i got.

Twentieth Anniversary Extravaganza
  6. Zaal

Zaal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just spent 5 nights here for CES and this worked for me. Took me from 2nd floor of the SE building to the 26th of the NW building. Would happily tip the $20 again.

7. Fortuna

Fortuna Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have booked resort queen strip view room for my next trip as I think this is what i got before and loved it. Is it worth trying to get an upgrade and if so what might that upgrade be?

8. HilliChance

HilliChance Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious to! Royal tower queen would possibly be nicer than Resort tower, but isn't bookable with queen...

• Like Like x 1
  9. andym10

andym10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to the Excalibur this past weekend for 3 nights. 6/16-6/19. Had tickets for the Def Leppard, Poison and Tesla concert at the MGM. I had just booked the standard King room and was going to try the $20 sandwich for the first time. I get there and learn there is boxing at T-Mobile Arena and the Electric Daisy Festival is there that weekend with 84 million 25 year olds. I figure there is no chance of an upgrade but fold up the $20 between my license and my Mlife MasterCard and ask if they had any complimentary upgrades. She taps away for a minute and points over to the room chart and asks if the Superior King would be ok and I said yes. Ended up on a high floor at the end of the hallway and the room had a big tub in the corner and it over looked the strip.

Worked for me even when the place was packed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iamvegas

iamvegas Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 night Monday to Saturday. mlife cheap rate for base room. mlife platinum. $50 sandwhich. i here for a friends reunion so i told her that and i was looking for a suite for my platinum upgrade. she put it on counter and said "if you're happy with service you can tip me at the end or something, we have to do this" . told me there were no suites available tonight, i was pretty sure there were cus i checked a few hours earlier but it was just after midnight so couldn't pull it up again.

i said well what if i switch tomorrow cus i can see there are suites available then she looked and "found" that there was a suite tonight. went to manager came back saying 45$ a night more. i said "oh i dont think i can do that" went toother manager and came back saying they could do it free. got royal suite for all 5 nights, nice suite, obviously i left it for her :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. susquehannaretriever

susquehannaretriever Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question: I plan on trying the $20 trick when my wife and I arrive in November for our 30th anniversary trip. I plan on letting them know this is a trip for our anniversary. I have already reserved using MyVegas 2 nt and 1 nt comp at Excalibur; the only thing we are paying is resort fees. What type of room should I ask for in requesting the upgrade? What would be considered an upgrade from what they are calling a "run of the house" room which was what the rewards were for?

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This appears to the the current hierarchy of Excalibur room, not accounting for bed types.

Resort Tower
    Resort Strip View
    Royal Tower
    Resort Superior
    Royal Superior
    Resort Luxury Suite
    Royal Luxury Suite
    Two BR Luxury Suite

The Royal Tower has the most recently remodeled rooms and faces the Tropicana.
    The Resort Tower faces North (NYNY, etc)

You can try for a suite, but expect the best you can do is an upgraded room in the Royal tower with a view. Just be specific with what you would like and work from there.

13. Betsycarver

Betsycarver Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be staying here Nov 12-15 for my honeymoon. I got 1 night comp. wish there was a way to get more nights I have 90,000 myvegas points but the 2 night comp doesn't work for my dates :( I plan to try the $20 sandwich and let them know it's our honeymoon. Hope it works!

14. Csm

Csm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I visited Vegas last week with my husband, brother and sister-in-law to celebrate my brother's 40th. My husband and I were staying elsewhere, but my brother tried the $20 sandwich and asked if there was anything they could do as it was his birthday. He just got a flat 'we don't do complimentaries' but was given the option to pay an extra $100 a night for a suite!

15. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you try it and if so did it work?

16. Jam

Jam Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went in early April. Girl at the desk was younger , maybe mid 20s, brunette. She told me flat out that tipping is not allowed at Excalibur and that she would get fired if she accepted the tip. I asked how long this policy has been in place and she said for at least a year.

She also kept looking at her coworker who was older Asian lady. I think the older lady was maybe her manager. I tried hard to get her to waive anything after she said no tipping and comp upgrade, but nothing. First time at Excalibur and first time it didn’t work for me!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was staying at the Excalibur earlier this month (May 2018) and asked for an upgrade. She originally said she'd have to charge me, but I showed her $30 and said I'd give her a tip if she could accommodate my request. I asked for, and received, 2 queens and a cot (there were 5 of us), Royal Tower upgraded room, high floor south facing. This was for 3 nights. Overall, very happy with the upgrade at Excalibur for $30 or $10/night on average.

18. Gecko

Gecko Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried the $20 trick for a Sunday to Thursday stay was booked into two resort rooms. Put the $20 on the counter and asked if we could get two royal rooms adjoining. Took her a while but she managed to find us one on the 19th floor. Definitely was worth the $20

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jesse

Jesse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year in September and November I stayed at Excalibur and asked about complimentary upgrades and they have moved me from resort tower to royal tower at no cost. Now this was for a semi comped trip. All the other times I’ve had comped royal tower and asked about an upgrade and they said they were all booked. Granted it was mostly on holiday weekends but I tried.

20. ColoVegPlayer

ColoVegPlayer Speed Running for Noir

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

Last week I booked a room at the Excalibur for CES. I've never been to the Excalibur (I've stayed at Harrahs, Flamingo, Linq, Bellagio, Luxor) and I know I should be prepared to be underwhelmed, but it was the cheapest one available (And still expensive enough we had to get special approval from corporate to book the rooms!) for work.

I know CES is one of, if not the busiest, times in Vegas, and the hotel might be completely booked. I plan to do a $50 sandwich and ask for an upgrade, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what room/tower to ask for. I do need 2 beds, if that matters.

Thanks a bunch!

• Wow! Wow! x 1