$20 MGM Grand

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. rdwoodpecker

rdwoodpecker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don’t feel embarrass, they have folks asking for an upgrade often. Just fold your twenty in half allowing them to see it ask if their are any upgrades available. If they say no, just put your twenty back in your pocket. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TamOShanter

TamOShanter Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i always book a grand king (either comped or not) and always ask for an upgrade, sometimes tipping $20, other times $40, never had an upgraded room but always a high floor, strip view and a fridge free of charge.

we always stay here at least a week though, so i guess the chances of getting an upgraded room is slimmer.

It's time for a Royal Flush
    • Like Like x 1
  3. airblaster503

airblaster503 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be there Sunday-Wednesday in May. Have a grand king booked and hoping for an upgrade. In the past staying at mgm I was in an executive queen and Thursday-Sunday so not much to upgrade too.

Should I try $20 or go higher? What is something reasonable to expect?

4. Badger31

Badger31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are doing one myvegas night each, back to back. I've read we're supposed to ask them to link them at check-in so we don't have to move rooms. Any idea if we'd be successful doing $20 trick and being able to get an upgrade for both nights? Anyone done this and had success?

5. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, let them know you'd like to link the nights so you don't move rooms. And yes, you can do the $20 trick for a potential upgrade, I've done it a couple times. You can also pay for an upgrade - just ask how much it'll be for the type of room that you want. I don't know if the MGM has it, but the Mirage has iPads where you can see what rooms there are.

Yearly Online Friends Trip!
    Cousin's Bachelor Party!
  6. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short story:
    I used a $50 sandwich, from a 2nt myvegas comp...
    I had booked the 1st night of the 3 night stay anyway as a 1bed tower suite in my wifes name (I had comp previous and had another just after the MGM stay)...
    Were Mlife Gold, so I think it helped... was mid week too....

Show me the money Jerry, show me the money!!!
  7. Gchi

Gchi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to say I’ve been upgraded more times without mentioning anything then when I try the sandwich.

Sandwich, I’m probably at 35% success rate.
    Walk up without even asking for upgrade I think I’m at about 50%.
    I definitely tip the automatic upgrade as well.

Even a few times with the sandwich the agent didn’t offer the $20 back after informing me nothing was available. When they do attempt to slide it back I do tell them to keep it anyway.
    It’s just the courtesy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. EdRut25

EdRut25 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Everyone,
    Staying at the MGM July 21 - 26 (Sunday - Thursday) in a Strip View King with 2 of the nights being comped. Just curious what the chances are for an upgrade using the sandwich request. Is it worth the attempt without rubbing the property the wrong way. I'll also be using the separate VIP check in room so basically its just the clerk and I in the room (I requested the VIP check in through MGM directly just by asking...by no means am I a High Roller). Thanks in advance to all those that read or respond here.

It's Just Time....
  9. DrMBachJr

DrMBachJr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am interested in an answer to this as well. I am in the same boat for my next trip. I think I'll ask but if they offer a king suite, just turn it down and let them know I need the 2 beds.

10. urbanphotos

urbanphotos Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a king room on the Grand Tower third floor. I knew that zero in front of the room number was bad news.

Handed over $20 at the check in desk and got moved up to a Grand Tower king on the 28th floor.

11. QuaDxAceZ

QuaDxAceZ High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have 3 nights comped in May in the dreaded west tower. Would I have a good chance getting upgraded to a grand tower room using the $20(or maybe $50) trick?

OR would my Life gold status give me an upgrade to a grand tower room if theres availability?

12. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless things have changed, I’m pretty sure Gold provides complimentary upgrades upon availability. I would do both. If she asks about the sandwich, immediately talk about the gold upgrade and tell her the $20 is for anything she can upgrade after that.

13. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as it's not during EDC or maybe MDW, I would expect a gold upgrade to do the trick.

EDC
  14. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure if the gold Mlife status would give you the upgrade in this case as you are already booked on a comp. I may be wrong, but from my experience (I'm Mlife gold as well) the comps available are as much as they will give you. I ask every time but I've never been given an upgrade when booked on a comp offer.
    I think the gold status upgrade would only work if you booked direct without using a comp offer, which makes it almost useless as being a gold level player means you probably receive room comp offers. Maybe those who earn gold Mlife via the credit card instead of gambling may benefit from the room upgrade.
    In any case it won't hurt to try and see what happens. Don't forget to let us know!

15. eliicious

eliicious Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far I am 0/4 using $20 trick on comp rooms at MGM, but have never tried when in west tower. I will say - other than the location, at least the rooms are very similar quality! Best of luck.

16. TehRed

TehRed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a super late "update" but I thought it might be worth adding to the thread - on my last visit in October 2018 the $20 trick worked for me - three rooms upgraded to high floor strip view, and $20 resort credit for one of the rooms.

I had originally requested one of the rooms to be upgraded to a Spa room, but there were none available, but we got this instead. Forever grateful to the guy on the front desk for hooking us up like this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Isaac94

Isaac94 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time in Vegas, I'm going to the MGM by myself on December 26 - 30th. I'm getting a Grand King no strip view room from 26th Thursday thru checkout 30th Monday. Do you think I would be able to get a upgrade with the $20 trick even if it's the weekend and 4 nights or are my chances are very low?

18. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on past experience, It will be pretty slow given the holiday. You have a great chance of getting a free upgrade if you just ask.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Isaac94

Isaac94 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks what you think is the best room ? Like the top floor room with the strip view ?

20. STS05

STS05 Onward

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worked like a charm. Got a high floor strip view near the elevator. Just what I wanted.

• Like Like x 1