1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Let's Go 2024! - Vegas/Phoenix/Reno

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by eliza, Jan 19, 2024.

1. eliza

eliza Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ll catch up the report at some point. But if you are a hockey fan, I highly recommend trying to get to Phoenix for a game before they manage to either get an arena or move out of market.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^Was just thinking the same thing. I bet those great seats where also probably cheaper than nose bleeds for a Knights home game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It only seats about 5,000 though. It's where Arizona State plays.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah Eliza mentioned that. Still I’ve been to a number of AHL games back in an arena that sits a little over 10,000 and even then never had seats this good.

However yeah with such limited seats they can charge somewhat of a premium. Quick comparison to Knights tickets and it does seems less than half the price.

• Like Like x 3
  5. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had some pretty good seats at ECHL games in Atlantic City back when they had a team. Of course, they tended to draw less than a thousand people. No wonder they only lasted 4 seasons.

We used to go to Trenton when they had a team too. In their first season, they'd sell out an 8000 seat arena on Friday or Saturday nights. We'd hang outside and ask people if they had extra tickets. We were usually a group of 3, which made things difficult at times. Once, we got 2 seats in the second level and found a guy selling one single seat right on the glass behind one of the goals. We rotated sitting down there every period. That was the only time I've been on the glass at a hockey game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  6. eliza

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't believe we put the puck in our own net during a delayed penalty.

GAH!

Going to have another glass of wine.

Catch up the report tomorrow while on route to Reno.

• Like Like x 7
    • Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Castle

Castle Slow Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excited for the Reno arc

Birthday trip
    Birthday Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean there was a delayed penalty on the coyotes so pens had the goalie at the bench for a man advantage? :blink:

Then they only needed the coyotes to touch the puck to end play and start a pens power play.

Oh boy.

(I don't think ive ever seen this kind of mistake)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Monkeys at my new home!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monkeys at my new home!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. eliza

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh man. I’ve now seen the slow motion replay multiple times and it doesn’t get any easier to watch. I’ve seen it happen on bloopers reels before, but never in person. Despite our sloppy/lazy play, Mullett Arena was a great place to watch a game. It’s very intimate. The worst seats in the house seemed to be equivalent to middle-upper rows in the lower bowl in most arenas. There doesn’t appear to be a separate press area so they had a bunch of reporters on barstools behind the one section which was cool to see.

I sprung for a ticket in the club level. Three rows from glass behind Coyotes bench on the blue line. It was $325 all in and included beer, wine, and food in the lounge. It was pretty good, especially for the price point. But honestly next time I’d probably go for SRO tickets - I loved the feel as I walked around stadium and it’s a great view. I think if I had purchased in advance they had these for ~$125 including a beer, but by the time I got around to it they were down to resale tickets going for more like $250.

The lounge had a nice set up. But was kind of crowded. Not enough public space for drinking eating for the number of people in there. Spread was decent and food varied from meh to pretty decent.

Open bar included Coors Light, Dos Equis, and a red and white wine. The white was CK by Mondavi Chardonnay. The red was also CK, but not sure on the varietal. There was a main buffet with sliders, hot dogs, nachos, salads, charcuterie, fruit, corn, and Mac and cheese. Plus a side buffet with beef and pork ribs, baked potatoes and carrots. Not sure if menu changes game to game. They also had popcorn, desserts, and ice cream bars.

IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4895.jpeg IMG_4896.jpeg IMG_4905.jpeg IMG_4898.jpeg IMG_4900.jpeg IMG_4903.jpeg IMG_4904.jpeg IMG_4907.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
    • Love Love x 4
  12. ColoVegPlayer

ColoVegPlayer Speed Running for Noir

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mmm dessert spread!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. eliza

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The hockey game was really the only exciting thing that happened since the previous update. I got up, worked from LAS, flew to PHX (sat on plane for two hours before takeoff), worked from PHX, went to game, slept, worked this morning from hotel, then moved back to PHX for more work. Just wrapped up my work day and am at gate waiting for my delayed flight to Reno.

Plans for tonight: gamble at Reno airport, nice dinner somewhere at the Row, and early to bed because work tomorrow starts early and is going to be busy. After work tomorrow though things should ease up a bit and I’ll be back to some nice VP time.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is gonna sound so dumb cuz I live here, but last time I saw a game was in Glendale, AZ to see the Canucks (my friend lives in both Vancouver and Scottsdale lol). I looked it up last night and the arena is now in Tempe?! That’s right next to Scottsdale so super close to me and I’ve never been lol. I have no idea when they changed it from Glendale to Tempe, but now I know that I can easily go to a hockey game so thanks lol

Sorry you had to experience rain here and we couldn’t get together. Bleh weather right now

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. eliza

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t have a good idea of PHX geography. But the stadium is in Tempe for now and will be for another year or two while they work out a more permanent plan for an NHL sized arena.

For a quick trip in for a game, the location is great. It’s a ~15 minute Uber from PHX airport. And there is a new Hyatt Place/Hyatt House that is at most a five minute walk to the arena. I didn’t get a chance to get out and explore - but it seemed like there were a number of bars/restaurants within a reasonable walk.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They got kicked out of the arena in Glendale and had no backup plan, so they now play in Tempe at a college arena until they can get something else built.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. eliza

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And we are stuck on tarmac. We need to de-ice because plane picked up ice on wings landing in heavy rain. But they can’t find anyone on ground crew who is approved to do de-icing. Sigh.

In good news, I got a battlefield upgrade to first class. In bad news they aren’t doing ground drink service. Delays are always better with wine.

I’m so ready to just get to Reno.

• Wow! Wow! x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Tempe by ASU has tons of bars and restaurants. Most of it decent too! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. eliza

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They still can’t find anyone approved to de-ice. Luckily the sun came out and we are now apparently waiting for the ice to just melt on its own. Seems legit. :confused:

Still no wine. I think it’s nap time.

• Wow! Wow! x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s clear and sunny up here (51), so flight should smooth into Reno.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1