1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is your go to athletic shoe?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please keep political and personal feelings about a brand out. I used to wear Saucony and then swtiched to Skechers with memory foam for the last couple of years. What I hate about shoe manufactures is that you find a certain shoe model and it is great. Then, a few months later it has been discontinued. That is what happened with my Skechers. Being on my feet for 12 hours at a time. Comfort is #1. But I am a cheap ass and I go through tennies about every 4-6 months so I don't want to spend a fortune. I quit wearing Saucony because I got two pair in a row that started to split and fall apart early. But now I'm back in Saucony giving them another try. My feet are hurting in my latest Skechers.

Most nurses I know wear Brooks and now Hoka is started to be more popular. What I like about Saucony is the box (toes) is a little wider--Saucony is recommended by one of the podiatrist's here as a good shoe for bunions/feet problems. I don't have bunions (yet) thankfully. I bought two different Saucony shoes and they both feel great. One of my friends just got a pair of the new Nikes with the beads. Your foot is floating on a bunch of foam beads -- called the Joy Ride. She loves them but they are $130+. I try to keep my price down to $50 or less -- I mentioned I was cheap. But I am really hard on my shoes so I prefer not to pay a fortune. I got both pairs of my Sauconys for about $65 total. I ordered them from their website. I'm considering the Nike Joy Ride if my Sauconys don't work out. The last time I tried on several different brands at the same store I did not like the fit of Nike, Asics, Adidas, Pumas etc.

My husband will wear only New Balance and one particular model. It must be an oldie and a goody because his shoe has not been discontinued. Oh and compressions socks are a must. I went through a few different brands and found a great sock on Amazon. 8 pair for $12.99 - they are fugly but they are great. Not a name brand but got better reviews than Mojo and I agree.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of my shoes are ECCOs--hikers, dress, golf. My #1 priority in shoes is minimalism. Minimal outsole. Zero-drop. Wide toe box. So that means I also have Nike FREE, Lems and TRUE Linkswear in my casual and athletic wear.

Overly "engineered" shoes are a leading cause of many foot "problems" here in the modern world. I have a pretty significant in-step and contrary to what Madison Avenue would have you believe I am far better off w/o all that artificial support that goes into most shoes. My fasciitis went away years ago when I went effectively barefoot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to be able to wear Saucony. Haven't been able to for 10 years. Same with New Balance - haven't found any models that work for me in a while. There are some Merrells that still work for me. For the past year, most of my treadmill use has been in Abeos, which is the store brand for Walking Company. I like ECCO for work shoes but haven't found any of the "athletic" shoes that work for me. Skechers have no support where I need it and have never been an option for me.

When my PF flared badly 3 summers ago, all I wore were birkenstocks and one pair of merrells that worked. I still need support and "engineered" shoes after that summer.

4. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My go to athletic shoes are Saucony, New Balance, and Brooks. I make sure they are running shoes as opposed to cross trainers. I walk a 5k almost everyday and do step aerobics a couple times a week. I don't want foot problems so I buy decent shoes. I get something with good arch support. I also have several pair and rotate them giving them 24 hours to dry out between wearings. Saucony Cohesion style have been good. New Balance 680's are my current favs and Brooks Cascadia.

5. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wear Mizuno running shoes for my workouts. Daily wear is leather loafers.

6. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My athletic Shoe is Nike old man black shoe
    My dress Shoe is Nike old man black shoe
    My winter Shoe is Nike old man black shoe
    My summer Shoe is Nike old man black shoe
    My dancing Shoe is Nike old man black shoe
    My walking Shoe is Nike old man black shoe
    You get the idea.
    I buy them online.
    Usually when I can't glue the back together again, they have huge holes in the sole, or I am going to Vegas and want to look extra spiffy ( that's an old man word)

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nike crosstrainers

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New Balance. Nothing fits better. Fit never changes. I can order online and it's going to fit. Also easy to put an orthopedic support in there if you need it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been buying mostly New Balance for athletic and walking shoes. I'm not into running/jogging that much in my old age ...LOL, but I like their 990v5 running shoe. For walking shoes I like the MW577 (leather), and MW877 (suede/mesh, which is a comfortable walking shoe for Vegas). Although, I usually replace the inserts with the Dr. Scholl's sports inserts which are more comfortable. For hiking, I like Merrell's Moab 2 series which I often wear during the winter, since the one that I have is waterproof and good for walking through snow and whatnot.

10. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nike

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brooks Beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you find a shoe you really like and this is very important, you could put a couple of extra pairs in the closet.

I wear cheap Nike/New Balance athletic shoes and they generally work fine for me. What I realize is that you've got to replace them every so often as the cushioning wears down - that is true for $50 shoes or for $150 Brooks running shoes. The average person keeps their athletic shoes for too long (I'm talking about people who use the same pair of shoes multiple times a week, not someone who owns 52 pairs of shoes and wears a new pair every day to match their clothes.)

For non-athletic stuff, I mostly buy Cole Haan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Grant1982

Grant1982 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont even know what an "athletic" show is, but I will say that my Merrels and Columbia's (own several of each) are BY FAR the most comfortable, and longest lasting shoes I have ever owned. I have been on the same set of 3 Columbia's for 5 years now, the tounge still stands strait up on them and I am yet to have the inner foam roll up or come loose. They also provide a ton more grip than the pair of New Balance I put on the other day and was like ice skating on carpet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New Balance 990v5’s... go thru a pair every 5 months or so. Good Feet arch inserts are a must for me too.

15. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nike shoes on clearance using my bride's Kohl's cash. :thumbsup:

RICHARD

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except sometimes your feet change and then you have multiple pairs of unworn shoes that won't work for you any more. So I don't do that these days ;-)

"Athletic" is vague so I just assumed OP wants to know what we buy that works for whatever sports we do, even if that's just walking.....

17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes exactly. Kept it general /vague because such a variety walking/running/ cross training, minimal etc. I thought “athletic” was an acceptable term and covered a lot. For me unless I am going out somewhere nice I live in my “athletic” shoes, sneakers or whatever you want to call them. As I have aged my feet have expanded. Use to wear a size 7 now an 8. I have a narrow heel but need a wider box. My joints hurt at the end of 12 hours too. Pounding concrete floors takes its toll. I occasionally take Motrin. A hot bath with epsom salt is the cure.

18. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my husband’s shoe too. In black.

19. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain. I found a pair of Saucony’s a few years ago that worked wonders for me. I went out and bought another pair right away. Then there was an end of season bogo sale and I bought another 4 pairs. I’m on my last pair after 5 years and I dread having to find a replacement for them.

20. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Merrel and Columbia also fit me well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.