1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is your go to athletic shoe?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Jan 13, 2020.

1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. And rotate. Don't wear the same pair every single day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Valgal

Valgal Interesting and rude are not the same thing.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had plantar fasciitis several years ago. Even went as far as having my ortho doc inject my heel --- never again. I saw him in the hall at work a couple of days later and I told him I hated him. He said he could do it again if it didn't help. Oh hell no. After the pain subsided I had the weirdest sensation in my heel for almost a year. It felt like there was no heel pad and my bone was hitting the floor/ground. I got some inserts a friend told my about from Academy and that helped tremendously. I haven't had to use a special insert in a long time. Fingers crossed.

3. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sucks. Thankfully when I feel it coming on I just wear shoes as little as possible and that sends it packing.

4. donfairplay

donfairplay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Albert Pujols has the version of plantar fasciitis that lets him collect $25 million a year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. VegasSam

VegasSam Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ran for 16 years and my go brand was Brooks. Nowadays as an old man with 2 knee replacements and overweight (260+lbs) my go to brand is HOKA BONDE 5 WIDE or HOKA GAVIOTA 2 WIDE. (About $150) It’s like walking on clouds, light durable. I still have my first pair as backups. I have several pairs in black, white, three two color pairs. I have never had a brand that held up to my weight for more than 3-4 months. At this point I buy new shoes for new looks not due to the shoes breaking down.

6. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A sneakerhead put me onto Asics for arch support, and they have been a great improvement for my long craps sessions that used to murder my feet.
    Those and compression socks.

another dash of info, I went on a shoe buying binge, seeing how hard it was to get simple single color sneakers, got solid blacks, some black/white, some white, Underarmor, Adidas, Pumas, skate shoes, every time I wear one for a long stretch my feet wish I had worn the Asics.

addendum:
    I second buying a second pair of any "perfect shoes" you find, I've had a few I haven't done that for and regret it.
    the pattern, like everything else, is get a good name/reputation for a model, let the bean counters cut a few corners, then ruin it. or progress out of your perfect colorway.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  7. tsou89

tsou89 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve worn ASICS for years. Recently purchased some adidas and Brooks. The adidas I bought because I like the look. They’re fairly comfortable but I can tell they won’t last as long as my ASICS. The Brooks are very comfortable. I will definitely buy them again as well as going back to my old ASICS stand by.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A runner for many years. Mostly Brooks, but I later switched to Nike Air.

9. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ASICS Gel-Nimbus for running. 12 1/2 wide. Only available online in my size. Running shoe store employees laugh in my face and try to sell me some other brand.

10. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve been wearing Saucony running shoes for over 25 years. When midsoles on current pair start breaking down I rotate them to casual wear. Also go thru a couple pair of trail runners a year while reffing soccer. Never had a problem finding a good fit. I usually shop online for clearance styles, but my lovely wife just picked me some new trail runners at the outlet store.

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually got a pair of Asics recently. I like how the "hold" my feet. Very supportive. I was surprised.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The diabetics are hiding all the good socks.

13. BellaBlvd

BellaBlvd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For running I alternated between Saucony and Reebok. In the gym I alternate between Under Armour and Ryka. Walking I have a pair of Under Armour that I love.

Compression socks are a must for work for me too.

14. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, Nike Flex Experience 8. Pretty minimalist and stopped my heel pain. Only thing I can run distances in. I'm kind of terrified Nike will ruin them with a 9 version, since I was wearing several versions of another Nike model, they updated and it caused huge pain.

Used to wear a lot of New Balance, which were great for a middle aged guy, but the quality started dropping, IMHO, and I had a toe hole on the side of a new pair in 8 weeks.

Have a pair of Merrell's hikers that are uncomfortable and have absolutely no grip on ice. Was very disappointed, because they weren't cheap and were one of the few pairs of insulated, waterproof shoes, rather than boots, I could find.

15. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sketchers,
    I have wider feet, & Sketchers makes
    a lot of wider sizes -vs- the narrow selection in Nike.

My mowing the yard shoes r still
    Old Nikes, though.

16. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brooks ghost for me, the amount of miles i run a yea (2,400) last year...its the only shoe that does not cause me any problems

2020 Visit to the greatest City in the world
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on public transportation and so end up walking more than most. I prefer Adidas, but Nike looks better so my shoes are usually Nike.

Oh yes
    One more
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This.
    I usually buy two pairs at a time. I alternate pairs every day so they can dry out properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a 59 year old white guy I am required by law to wear New Balance.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under Armour.

IPMS USA National Convention