1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines cancels 1,000 more flights as disruptions mount

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Legion, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    makes sense to fill the directs to maximize yield. Probably are moving people around via rebookings/cancelations in that manner.

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simply pointing out that Spirit flies direct from St. Louis, which you weren't aware of. Also, not everyone needs a carry-on bag or a checked bag. I have a personal item bag I use with Spirit and Frontier and it flies for free. What other "nickel and diming" do they do? Their shortcut boarding is only $5.99 versus Southwest's $25. They have alcohol and snacks for purchase in-flight. Does Southwest have that? You can choose your seat with Spirit. Can you do that with Southwest?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under the Railway Labor Act it's basically illegal to strike or walkout. So there's never going to be a official announcement.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It this were Spirit or Frontier there would be pitchforks and torches out ready to riot screaming, "that's why i don't fly budget airlines!" LOL oh the ironing...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Halloween is approaching……perhaps it’s a timing thing……:rolleyes: as the airlines are always saying….”be patient “ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Legion

Legion High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

100% reason why I posted this.. Great post

• Like Like x 1
  7. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have both out and waiting for use...

Southwest gives me better value most of the time when compared to other airlines. For now. It could change. Each incident like this erodes trust.

I tried Spirit out of IAH. Basically, the flight was fine. The rest of the process sucked. I would use them in a pinch if looking for a cheap flight.

8. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they know the figures of % out sick over the weekend vs. a normal day - both sides, in all likelihood - and if anyone wanted to leak them to help their case, they would do so.

9. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just wanted to say that I too hate ironing.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What airline flies on YOUR schedule? Of course we all fly on the airline's schedule.

That $111 you're talking about for combined ticket and baggage? That's still much cheaper than the $280 SWA wants to charge me for the same flight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew home from a cruise Sat. Am on SW. Knew there was something up, but didn't know what?
    The little Long Beach airport we like to use was Very busy.

Luckily a nice SW agent let us take an earlier flight as our Later flight home was already delayed 30 mins....
    think she knew more was coming, so we got On the earlier flight. Thank goodness.

When we arrived at home airport, it was like there was 3x as many people Standing as there was seats!
    Never seen it that bad, and had No idea why.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got flights coming up shortly and have decided to cancel them. Sorry Vegas, you'll have to do without my paltry BR this month. The upside is that I should start receiving some better offers from my locals. :)

None of these delays and cancellations are going to end up affecting my travel now, but how this shakes out in the end is going to make a big difference to me. I used to go to Vegas 4-5 times a year, but those days are gone. It's looking like 1-2 trips a year might become the norm. Having all those SW points worked out great, but knowing that I will get there on time and get back is going to be more important than what's cheapest if I go infrequently. If SW is being honest about these cancellations and delays, then I sympathize with them. If they are making up shit to cover their ass, not so much.

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because some people have decided rules don't apply to them, I'm closing this thread to further comments.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.