1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines cancels 1,000 more flights as disruptions mount

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Legion, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legion

Legion High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting comments by their pilot's association.

“Our Pilots will continue to overcome SWA management’s poor planning, as well as any external operational challenges, and remain the most productive Pilots in the world,” it said.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What bothers me is that they try to blame it on external factors like weather and ATC, when plenty of other airlines operate in the area and weren't hit as hard. At least Spirit doesn't pretend to anything other than a flying version of New Jersey Transit.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. thebeachbum

thebeachbum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure hope they get their personnel (weather issues) settled soon.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea... another bad day or days for SWA.

We fly them almost exclusively... but starting to question my loyalty. (still planning to get another companion pass by January - LOL)

7. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, "weather"...what a crock to avoid paying hotels, compensation etc. Huge joke.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think SWA was one of the main airlines people trashing Spirit say they prefer to take because things like this don't happen. Things like this happen on every airline, regardless of the price you paid for that seat.

Hopefully they straighten it out and people aren't stranded.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've had four flight cancellation issues with Southwest in the past. Only once did they step up and acknowledge responsibility. That was because our plane had taken off and wouldn't pressurize properly, so they had to return to the airport. Couldn't blame that on "weather" like they did the other times. The other times they couldn't explain how the weather was to blame, but that was their story and they were sticking to it. When they screw up you learn that the "luv" airline isn't so loveable.

10. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a spirit flight booked next Sunday and booked a SWA backup. So maybe I should get a backup to my backup?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weather delays elsewhere can effect your flight; not just your weather. 1000 flights with only 130 people on each one is a lot of people to get where they thought they would be.
    Somebody f*’d up You have to have a resume that included a stint at Boyd to think people wouldn’t check their weather app or other airline schedules.
    But sometimes one person’s decision embarrasses other employees. They go soft. If they can. I’d contact someone if I were inconvenienced. It can’t hurt.
    I wrote a letter once when they lost my bag and the inconvenience of it arriving 24 hours later on a non-stop flight. Couldn’t figure how they did that but they at least gave me 100$ voucher for future flights. Of course 100$ meant something back then…..:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may be jinxing us but so far our flight out of MKE in the morning is still on. We fly out at 8:55am and land at 10:50am. Vegas is supposed to be under a high wind warning starting at 11am. Fingers crossed!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  13. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even before the current mess, my last SWA flight was delayed 6 hours. They have been a hot mess ever since the 737 Max issues.

Back in June, as I was boarding my on time Spirit flight, a whole bunch of SWA passengers were stuck waiting overnight at LAS after their flight to San Diego was cancelled.

Obviously, a lot of things lately have been out of their control, but labor-management issues need to be dealt with, and they should be honest with their customers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last swa flight from vegas was in mid sept to MDW, an hour out of landing got diverted to Indianapolis due to “weather” spent the night in the terminal and got $200 voucher for my pain and suffering.

I was also in the las vegas terminal when SWA had problems with getting the weather info packets to their pilots

16. BlackJackLife

BlackJackLife Already dreaming of the next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had significant weather issues in South Florida yesterday that canceled many flights

Summer heat for Independence Day week...
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't the first time 'weather issues' have been the cause for delays and cancellations this year but 27% of their flights seems excessive. Scheduling is not just about one flight but if a crew is delayed getting it out of a place like LA, then they run in to issues with how long they can work. Flight crews are VERY restricted on how many hours in a row they can work and SWA has sort of made it a point to try and organize their flights to get crews home, or close to it, as often as they can. So, when you try to take all those things in to account - actual weather delays, crew hours, final destinations - it is not hard to see how delays and cancellations happen. If a flight is delayed at one spot, the cascading effects can disrupt more than just that one flight for the crew, just like it would for the customers.

With that said, again, 27% of flights in a day, a week after SWA implemented a vaxx requirement for everyone, seems like more than a coincidence. Will this continue on or will SWA make the adjustments and start cancelling flights more frequently over the next month in advance or will they do what they did this weekend and just do it at the last minute? I wasn't worried about my trip in November but starting to get there now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the summer, there were a lot of flights cancelled because it was too hot in the Southwest US for them to take off or land. This is probably not something that is going to go away either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BlackJackLife

BlackJackLife Already dreaming of the next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Summer heat for Independence Day week...
  20. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This changes nothing for me. Southwest is still my airline of choice. They will survive this.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.