1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buffet ettiquette

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Made in Alaska, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgill1974

mgill1974 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People are stupid

nuff said

:thumbsup:

2. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you talking about the golden corrals chocolate fountain? Lol

3. PokerrNutt

PokerrNutt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw something odd last December at the Red Rock Resort seafood buffet on Friday night (which, unfortunately, I've heard they've done away with). A couple next to us kept going up to get more and more crab legs. I think they ate at least 4-5 "loaded to the top" plates of crab legs each! NOTHING ELSE! Just crab legs - no shrimp, no vegies, no salad, no dessert. Just crab legs and water!!

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if thats really too odd: a lot of people go to the seafood buffets just for the seafood and these guys probably wanted to make sure they got their moneys worth of crab legs :)

I know when I go to a buffet I usually take a little bit of a few different items so I can taste a few different things... but if something piques my interest I'll usually keep going back. I remember last time we ate at the Monte Carlo buffet they had these teriyaki ribs that were really tender and tasty... first pass I only grabbed two but then after I went through my plates I went back and kept going back for the ribs, didn't want anything else :)

But yeah, crab legs just seem to make people go nuts: have seen a few times at different buffets when a fresh batch is brought out and then a bunch of people from different tables all run up and swarm the things.

Personally to me crab legs taste like I would expect a mouthful of sand at the beach would taste... kind of that funky tastes like the beach smells flavor :p

5. Made in Alaska

Made in Alaska Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the "cleanliness" issues being brought up are a little disheartening. Oh well. Nothinga bunch of alcohol won't kill.....hopefully :thumbsup:

6. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If person A is currently getting item X and I can get item Z at the same time but it is after that person, I'm getting item Z right then.

It's like the 2nd person at the stop light leaving that big 2 car gap between the 1st car. If I cut in there shouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately, it mattered none.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm weird... I've never once been concerned about what is on someone else's plate and how they got it there?

8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the price of the buffet I can pay for a hot fresh meal made to order and even after tip have money left over. I a variety is desired I simply try a different place or different meal each time. :thumbsup:

9. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad they don't provide sani hand wipes at the tables. Tongs touched by hundreds of folks are going to harbour germs. You may end up sick after a buffet, though not necessarily from the food.

I get an extra plate to set cutlery on between courses. I really have to watch that this isn't cleared from the table.

I like to try very small amounts of things that interest me with the intent of going back for more. If I don't like it, I don't eat it. I have no guilt about that because it is always a small amount. It annoys me to see folks leaving heaping platefuls.

Also, I don't feel I have "get my money's worth".

10. jackincols

jackincols Guest

"Also, I don't feel I have "get my money's worth".

Yeah, kinda like going to a 5 star joint, paying $80 for about 4 ozs. of food with a plate full of squiggly sauces so you can say how nice the presentation was.:grrr:

11. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I don't care for crab legs so have never experienced that swarm. I always see people with huge piles of those on their plates and I figure good for them, they seem to be having a fun time.

I think the question of etiquette is pretty straightforward like it is in most things. But in general I can't remember seeing any obnoxious behavior at the buffets I've been to, even somewhere like Bacchanal which was packed. I don't know how much I'd really care if someone was cutting in front of me anyway. I've never walked out of a buffet wishing I was able to get more food faster. I've always walked out hating myself and wishing I ate less.

12. Made in Alaska

Made in Alaska Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that's funny...:thumbsup:

13. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Words of wisdom. :peace:

14. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 Iowa Nice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why higher end buffets are mostly a waste on me. I love too many of the basics like Mac n Cheese, some good pot roasty thing, yummy breads, and a good variety of deserts.

Crab Legs are delicious, but that's just too much work. :nono: I'll always opt for something easier.

15. SelfMade

SelfMade Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actual footage of a Zainesville, OH family with kids approaching the Buffet table.

[​IMG]

16. English Dave

English Dave Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the buffets in Las Vegas. Any of them..... cheap or expensive. I went to the 'Bellagio' buffet once. I can't say I enjoyed it any more than the one at 'Main Street Station' for far less money.

What goes against the grain with me, is folks piling food on their plate, then leaving most of it. Even more so, when they then get up and go for something else.

If it goes on my plate I eat it all. Then mop up any gravy with garlic bread. Old habits die hard......:evillaugh

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At a buffet, I once observed a guy strip the meat off a bunch of beef ribs, leaving the bones in the pan.

18. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also do this. I take only what I know I will eat. I take small portions then go for more if I want. This way you can sample other foods without wasting,:nono: which is a terrible thing to do, being there are less fortunate people in this world.

Just my humble opinion, I really don't care what people do. :peace:

19. thekillers

thekillers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not a sprint for me, it's a marathon. When I get there I take my time. Before even getting my plate I will walk around and check out every item, sort of food foreplay if you will.
    Then I get my first plate, take my time and slowly enjoy as much food as I can while I try to forget about all my money that is no longer in my pocket.

20. English Dave

English Dave Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take a stroll round the whole buffet, then place a small amount of each item that I like the look of. I always end up with a plate full! Sometimes, I see folks finished, and leave their table with some plates full of uneaten food. I don't understand why people fill their plates to overflowing, then leave much of the food.

It's non of my business, but I can't help but be annoyed to see so much good food go to waste. It must be my upbringing. I was always reminded about hungry people in the world. Just can't shake the guilt......:evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.