1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buffet ettiquette

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Made in Alaska, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love buffet's ...I can get many options. Take what I like and leave what I don't like. I am a 2 plate person...I don't like my food to touch so I have 2 plates but with 3 or 4 things on each plate. Altho I know I can LOAD my plate (s) up I don't. I get that if I find food that I like I can go back and get more. Unless I'm at a dead end buffet...the food is changed out rather quickly...Even the food at CC buffet was changed out fast. I love crab legs but I will never be that person who takes the whole damn pan.
    People can be rude I guess it's just their nature...You are or you are NOT...

2. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And parents...it's not cool to let your kids run around and load up their plates with food you know they wont eat. Also I have seen too many kids running around picking their noses and getting food then putting it back into pans...I think if you were behind me in a line and saw me pick my pants then my nose and scoop food back into the pans you wouldn't want what I just touched. Yes it's a buffet...NO it does not mean waste all you want. This is why the prices rise every year!

3. alexb7

alexb7 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also see large groups leave the buffet without leaving a tip. If I'm in a group everyone puts in $2 and if I'm solo and wasn't ignored I leave $5.

4. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not know why people are the way they are. I like my food warm, and enjoying the different flavors. I will go back several times for smaller portions. Other than people that just load their plate to the point its falling off as they return to the table, the ones that DO NOT EAT what they take really makes me angry, WHY take it if your not going to eat it????

5. thezue

thezue Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been told when I'm drunk I take things from the buffet (like perhaps mashed potatoes with cheddar & bacon on top), eat the topping, then leave the rest, then go get another one. I could have sworn I was eating the whole thing, but according to my husband I was just eating the cheese & bacon off the tops & wasting a ton of food. I'm willing to give most things in Vegas a pass since there is a good chance the person doing it is drunk. :beer:

6. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

The tip may have already been added when they paid the cashier.

8. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a one plate at a time and small samples of everything that I want to try, then go back for more of what was good.

I believe some of the issue with the 2 plate people is that they think they are on a clock at the buffet! Most Americans are so use to quick service at restaurants and then having the bill shoved at them so they will leave, that they do not know how take their time and enjoy a meal over an hour or two.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffets have had a auto gratuity for large groups in the past. If you saw a big party, they left a tip if they wanted to or not. That being said, I think people stiff on the tip at lot at buffets, whether there was an opportunity to pay it upfront or not.

10. Icedgenes

Icedgenes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kids running free at the buffet without kleenex?

Please tell me which buffets are LEAST likely to have kids for breakfast and early dinner!

11. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The bad manners & ignorance of just a few people is very annoying. When we were recently at the PH buffet, a very large man piled his plate so high with crab legs that they were falling in the floor & he left a trail back to his table. He ate most of what was left but only the large parts and left the rest. He went back & did it again and I was next to him....after watching the waste I asked him..."you do know that you can come back as many times as you want, don't you?" He just shrugged and made another trail to his table. He was one of the most repulsive humans I've ever encountered.....

12. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I go out with a female to a buffet I take notice of there eating habits for a look into there personality, if they are constantly filling there plate up and not eating there food just wasting it I have noticed they are not very good financially in life. Wasteful at the buffet = low credit score!!!!!!

13. AOchoa95

AOchoa95 Low-Roller

Brilliant!

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hilarious! :thumbsup:

Be careful at buffets, folks. That dude jotting down notes might just be from Equifax!

15. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful, they might be looking at your posts and making a decision about your grammatical skills! :evillaugh

16. Made in Alaska

Made in Alaska Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's just wrong. What's with some people ? I may be a fat bastard but I wouldn't act like that.:thumbsdown: This has been a really cool topic. Im glad so many have chimed in about it. Its hard to believe that so many "adults" would pull a John Belushi at the buffet. Man I love the cafe scene from animal house......:beer:

17. judy

judy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agree, agree- it's so much better to eat the breakfast buffet late morning and then work it off-cheers to Bacon! Those in between meal buffets count as two meals for me-so much food.
    There is sometimes no etiquette and all these posts (especially the microbiology major!) are really making me reconsider my buffet plans this trip.:eek:

2024’s Second Trip
  18. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw this the other day on Impractical Jokers and thought of this thread. This type of customer would be the worst!

[YOUTUBE]VOW8Th9MsJM[/YOUTUBE]

19. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When a man offers to take me out for a meal and tell's me it's a buffet...I think cheap -ass and no credit score!

20. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know there are some really pricey buffets out there? :ssst:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.