1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Netflix or other Streaming Service- What 'Cha Watch'in?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VERY MINOR ORANGE/NEW BLACK SPOILER INCLUDED BELOW:

Just started last season of Orange is the New Black. Last season was the season following the prison riot. My girlfriend thought the show was tired and played out. I liked the fact that it built an entire season around a prolonged incident, rather than covering a period of weeks or months. Best show ever? No, but I'm impressed by how much they've done with such a large cast. The riot gives the director/producers the chance to change the setting, while maintaining the prison setting. It also, more importantly, gives the director/producers an easy way to purge the cast that is moving onto bigger and better things. I haven't looked, but I suspect a bunch of regulars, from administration to inmates, will no longer be seen as of season 6, or might show up in a one-time cameo to help bring closure to their characters. A lot of characters were missing from the first episode of last season, that is for sure, and they are quick to work in several new characters. I am impressed with the creativity of the show's writers. This show may not be a "best ever" nominee, but Netflix has done a lot of incredible things in developing this show.

Final season of Women in Cages, as I like to call it, in homage to Roger Corman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Cages) drops this summer.

Also, new David Letterman interviews on Netflix drop Friday. I will eagerly watch those, but they will be sprinkled throughout my viewing for the next several months. I am not a fan of binging anything, and we get so little new stuff from Dave, I'm not going to consume it all in a week. It's like those bags of Wisconsin cheese curds I bought this weekend. While they are better fresh, I'm not eating them all the day I bought them. I only get them one weekend per year. (If I lived anywhere close to that cheese shop, I'd weigh 50 pounds more than I do today. Those curds are a rare treat, and still $3.25 for a one-pound bag.)

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just finished binge watching Dead to Me.....ohhhhhh it is good!!! Wonder how long the wait will be for the next season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We seem to like the same stuff, so I’all give it a try plus my honey, Christina Applegate is in it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh that looks good; thanks for the recommendation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She is excellent in it!

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're gonna love it. Trust me. :D

7. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We started watching it this weekend. It was surprisingly good and Christina Applegate is fabulous in it. We'll likely finish it up next weekend.

8. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am watching nothing. I do not have Netflix. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for playing.

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Designated Survivor. Watched the first two seasons on ABC. First season was different and good. It really dropped off for season two. Now new season 3 on Netflix. Watched the first two tonight. Much better. Fast dialogue, single camera moves, fast paced. Reminds me very much of West Wing which I really enjoyed.

11. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bad Blood Season II
    Just wrapped up the latest of Frankie & Grace

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  12. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I'd be interested in what you think of Season 3 when you're done. I binged it this week.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far, we both like it, but we are only through three of them. Between baseball and the daily political shows we DVR, there isn't a whole lot of time to watch other things, so it might be awhile before we finish.

14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,

No worries!

15. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still not done with Orange/New Black S6. I like the new dynamics that resulted from the actions of S5, but some of the stories within this season are lame. I'll forgo mentioning any specifics. I have a handful of episodes left of S6. And I still haven't watched a new episode of David Letterman's show yet. (Fun fact, there's a YouTube channel that seems to have access to an incredible home video collection of old Late Night episodes, and the guy edits and splices stuff into YouTube videos. He has a few hours of clips featuring Meg Parsont, the book publicist Letterman would call and chat with regularly. I'm currently watching those old clips.)

Notes, and a question:

It's not exactly trade secrets, but it has been long known that Stranger Things S3 debuts on July 4. I liked the concept of the show, and enjoyed S1. S2 suffered from rather weak writing. I consider it weak because I know how people should react when their town is being invaded by supernatural forces the government is beckoning/taunting.

Orange/New Black's final season drops July 26. I'm gonna hit that hard when it does. I should be done with it within four weeks. Once again I won't be spending my entire weekend watching 13 hours of episodic television in order to be able to discuss it by the following Monday.

GLOW S3 drops Aug. 9. I'll be eager to check that out since it will attempt to recreate 1980s Vegas.

My question, has anyone watched Disenchantment, the Matt Groening animated show? I'm gonna have to find time to check it out. My biggest curiosity is what sets it apart from his Fox shows, besides the setting? Does Netflix allow the show to do things networks wouldn't, besides ignore a time peg? Or is it on Netflix simply because nobody at the networks was buying it?

16. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second pass through "Bad Blood" (Canadian Sopranos).

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  17. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not Netflix, but HBO. The second season of Big Little Lies just started a few weeks ago. Meryl Streep was just added this season to the already great cast of Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, etc. I saw an interview with Reese regarding working with Meryl. She said everyone has stepped up their A game as Meryl is so phenomenal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. charlestfuller

charlestfuller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Started watching Dead to Me because of all the word of mouth, and I'm about halfway through the season. It's fine, but I don't plan on tagging along for season 2 no matter how this ends.

19. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really liked it and thought Applegate and the lady who plays Judy, are both doing incredible acting jobs in the series. I guess it probably appeals to women more than men, but I’m definitely in for season 2. So I’m surprised you don’t like it.

20. charlestfuller

charlestfuller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoofy,

I do enjoy it, but it's one of those shows that is a bit too ordinary for me to keep spending time with. I'm anxious to see how the season ends, but this kind of show doesn't work for me in the long run.

Edit: I do agree on Applegate and Cardellini though (loved Cardellini in Grandmas Boy haha)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.