1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What to do about wedding cake buffet reception

Discussion in 'Vegas Weddings' started by dcrawf, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcrawf

dcrawf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fiancee and I will be getting married in April, location still TBD. Reception likely to be Paris buffet as much for location/ambiance as food quality. We obviously cant bring our own cake into the buffet area. I was thinking of going totally untraditional with a multi-tiered Cheesecake Factory special and simply having people up to the suite foe a cocktail/dessert party possibly even the night before thw wedding. What did you do, and what would you suggest given this situation?

2. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why couldn't you bring your own cake? It doesn't cost the buffet a cent. I would call and ask the manager, but I don't see the issue.

3. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. I'd ask. I think they'd allow it.

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We brought in a big cake to the Excal buffet for an anniversary years ago.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Not to rain on your big day, but I'd scratch the wedding cake idea. The Paris buffet has so many better choices for dessert than something from the Cheesecake Factory, though their cheesecake is good. Besides, it way too much extra food and a pain in the neck to transport..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I totally agree

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most hotels & restaurants do have rules (and fees) in place about using outside providers. By using an outside vendor, you're costing them money. Maybe it's different for a buffet. But I'd certainly ask before being turned away trying to bring it in....

8. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At a buffet, I'm pretty sure you're saving them money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

Policies might have changed, but many used to allow a cake if purchased from the hotel (no outside vendors as a general rule). My wedding reception ('04) was at Luxor's buffet, we had a private room and open bar. I opted to not have a cake since so many desserts were offered on the buffet and I don't like wedding cake anyway. The husband and I shared a slice of cheesecake from the buffet for the photo op.

Ultimately, do what you. It's your day. I did fairly little according to tradition and I've never regretted it.

10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on what the alternative is. Could they force you to buy a wedding cake from their kitchen? Yes, they could. Could your guests eat buffet food AND a cake you brought in that they received no money for, but still have to provide dishes for and clean up after? Yes, that could happen.

I'm not saying it's logical or about $ or even very much $. But there are often rules, so check.

11. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely agree they should check, but the OP was giving up on the idea before even checking it seems. I've brought a birthday cake into a restaurant before, and they didn't mind (we asked ahead of time). A buffet that's got full freight from you up front should care even less.

12. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a big wedding cake and punch reception in your home town for all the folks that couldn't make it to Las Vegas for the wedding.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is becoming a headache......Just call off the wedding!

:kill:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. BlackEight88

BlackEight88 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a cake from freeds and they delivered it to grand lux cafe (we had their private dining room). No charge from GLC. Other places we looked were charging $5 per slice cake cutting fee

15. BlackEight88

BlackEight88 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually now that I think of it.. grand lux actually TOOK OFF $5 pp of the package for desert because we brought our own! :feedme:

16. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week we ended up at Cafe St Louis at Paris & did the Pre Fixe' menu. It had a choice of soup or salad, choice of entree & two sides and also choice of chocolate cake or cheesecake. I believe it was $44 pp. Beverage extra. We ended up eating a bit later so not a long wait for 10 people but we did bypass with my Diamond card. Since we had a couple of food issues, a discussion with the chef allowed the bride to substitute the rotisserie chicken and another to sub a dish of sorbet for the desert (likely a lot cheaper for them on both counts). They definitely didn't have to do that with the pre fixe' deal but they graciously took care of us.

I understand the basis for the buffet, but if you would like to be served at your table, this option worked wonderfully for us. (We actually ate several meals there during our trip as it was great each time). Just another thought & with the option of two desert choices you could skip the cake & extra expense involved. With a party of 10 the tip was included in check also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.