1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sad irony - medical related

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found this very sad and so ironic. The doctor who performed my two colonoscopies was found to have colorectal cancer and he died. The irony is that he was only 45. Five years before they recommend getting tested.

:soapbox: Don't put it off. Get tested! Except for the wonderful beverage you have to drink the night before, it's an almost painless procedure. On my first test at age 52, they found and removed 5, pre-cancerous polyps. My next test, five years later found none and they said I didn't need another test for 7 more years.
    OK, off the soapbox.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

"Moon River !"

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two of my high school friends were diagnosed within a month of each other just as both turned 50. One survived and one succumbed after a 5 year battle. I've been scoped twice, agreed, the prep solution is nasty. Someone said there is a pill instead of the prep drink.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There IS a pill albeit about 40 $ around here compared to the 4 $ or so for the liquid solution that made the pre-night sooooooo memorable....Once she hooked you up and said going backwards is the way to be....you wake up with a buzz that will last a few hours. They gave me 10 years Joe (about up) when I had the first one at 55. Get the pill and if it works as advertised, there really isn't anything too negative other than possible results......good post...

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is still one of the best skits

[video=youtube_share;QI1go72c5H8]http://youtu.be/QI1go72c5H8[/video]

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is funny! I've never seen that.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep putting it off. 2016 is the year I will do it!

8. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend's husband had no symptoms until one day he had some stomach cramps. The cramps got bad enough that he had to go to urgent care. He was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. He was in his late 40's at that time. After a few brave years of fighting, he passed away a few months ago. My friend is now a widow at age 50.

I'm having my annual physical in two weeks. I've asked to have a colonoscopy at past physicals, but they say I must wait until I'm 50 (Kaiser). Still, I'll keep asking.

9. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother died at age 41 from colo-rectal cancer. She was diagnosed after turning 40. I've been getting scoped since I was 35, first every three years, now every 5 years.

First Birthday Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife's father passed away from this at that young age. I got tested once already. Sadly our doctor does a 2 day prep!

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband tried to convince me he didn't need to go for his colonoscopy. Too bad! Plus, the hilarity that ensued when he was on his post-procedure high was priceless. I really should have shot some video.

12. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first one is coming up next Wednesday:confused2:

13. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were told by my fathers oncologist to have a colonoscopy every 2 yrs once we turn 40. I had my first one and it wasn't as bad as the stories I've been told and I have nothing to worry about until my next one in a few years; thank goodness! I urge everyone to have a colonoscopy that is hesitant, early diagnosis is key to winning the battle!

14. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At age 70 I've never had one and I have no excuse really. I have no family history of cancer at all so maybe thats why I've survived this long. I know theres lots of bullets flying around that I keep dodging but the older I get the more likely one will hit me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Packer Backer

Packer Backer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when I had my colonoscopy done a couple of years ago they offered a new prep drink/solution . Prepotek. Its like taking alka seltzer. every x hours drink a 8 oz glass. super simple and easy. no more gallon bottle of ICK!
    didn't have the horror story that all my friends have with the big bottle of ICK.

16. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My grandmother died of colo-rectal cancer and a couple years ago my Dr referred me for a colonoscopy despite my not being quite 50 yet, and like an idiot I've been putting it off. One of my resolutions for 2016 is to get it done and hope I haven't waited too long.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do it! Now they say both men and women need to have one. My wife got her first one earlier this year.

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get scoped every few years because of how bad my endometriosis was and my irritable bowel. Compared to other medical "stuff" it's no big deal, honestly. The prep isn't even bad once you get a routine going and know what to expect.

19. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, we have pretty much the same story. No polyps since the first visit 16 years ago.

20. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three polyps 8 years ago. One polyp two weeks ago. Good to go for another four years.

My wife thinks the prep process is awful. I think it's just an inconvenience. But, we get it done - that's the important thing.

I had an Aunt die of colon cancer. Seriously, it's not a good way to die.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.