1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sad irony - medical related

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just did 2nd one. Prep now is nothing - other than the fasting for day and a half.

Drink a large gatorade with powder mixed in (no taste). No big deal folks. Not like it was 10 years ago, for sure!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I searched this one and thought I would bring it up again because I need to find a doctor. I suffer from drinking things - just cannot do it. So I will opt for a pill if it is around. Any update on how best to find a doctor for this, certainly not something I care to post on social media.

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would just call your local clinic. If they aren't offering the new prep procedure then hopefully they will know who is. I heard a blip on national news the other day on it, so I would expect Dr's are getting a few more inquiries right now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm hoping to just mail my poop off to be tested instead of having the camera invade my inners.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just do it..........when I turned fifty I was too busy taking of my parents.....both with cancer. I put if off until 56.

Tumor the size of a lemon....why do they always relate tumor size to fruit ?

Three massive surgeries for the cancer in my colon, seemingly endless chemo. Meta'd to my right lung, partial lung removal last spring. Came back in my abdomen last fall, six weeks of chemo and radiation and it seems to be gone in my abdomen but came back in my lung very aggressively about three months ago. Been on chemo since, gotta' stay positive.

If it helps......tape a dollar to your butt with a small note that says " be gentle, it's my first time". :kiss:

Bottom line, so to speak......if I had it done at fifty I'd likely see eighty, now, not so much.

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
  6. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will do it. Thanks Everyone.
    You are in my thoughts Rusty.

7. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My grandfather died from Colon cancer. I am 42 and have asked my doctor several times about having a colonoscopy, but they seem to think I don't need one yet. So I guess I am good for now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buddy of mine never opted for the colonoscopy...and now at the ripe old age of sixty, recently diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer.
    The process is pretty simple, and not that horrific. Drinking the laxative is probably the second worst part of the process. Once the nurse
    hooks you up to the IV, it's lights out and twenty minutes later, you're lounging about the recovery room with all the others...which is the
    worst part of the process...cause you're all fartin' like there's no tomorrow. I don't quite get the sensitivity of the procedure, but I will
    qualify that by saying that I do get a physical every year, which includes a DRE. I just can't argue against the early detection of cancer.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jack1057

jack1057 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dad had colon cancer so I started the test at 45. Have had quite a few as I appear to be a polyp factory but all have come back ok. Last split was six months since I had 10 in 2 years. Now I'm good for a year.

And while we are on the subject, ladies, please do your exams and mammograms if needed. I lost my beloved wife last year to Breast cancer that she found on self exam. It was six months after her mammogram but tumor location made it nearly impossible to see on mammogram. She found it and was at Dr that day. Unfortunately she had the worst type but at least she got a fighting chance.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm due to have my next one on Friday. I don't usually bother with sedation any more. That way I can drive myself home when they have done the procedure.

11. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made my appointment - when the person helping me asked why I was making it, was there an issue etc. I mentioned my age and he told me I was past due. I know.
    I asked about the pill as opposed to the liquid and was told the doctor used them in the past but no longer used them. Was told they would call in another medicine but were not sure how much my insurance would pay. Noted that if it was too much to call back and they would prescribe the other liquid.
    Thank you all - I am glad I revived this thread.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had 4 of them. They took out some pre-cancerous polyps while they were up there.
    You will shit your brains out the night before. No getting around that.
    Flip side, you get some good drugs.

13. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had two. My last one my coworker/friend of 30 years and I decided to do the buddy system as we were both due. We scheduled our appointments with the same Doctor back to back. During prep day, we both were taking our doses at the same time and constantly texting each other throughout the day and evening with details. Probably along the lines of "misery loves company"....but it made the process actually funny. The am of the procedure her partner drove us to the clinic and took us home afterward. During the time we were both in our individual waiting rooms, continued the texting. For anyone on the fence, try the buddy system!

For anyone that doesn't have cancer screening done with the reasoning "cancer doesn't run in my family" is kidding themselves. My good friends (sisters) refused to have mammograms for that exact reason (we all are in our early sixties). Last year one of the sisters fell on her chest and discovered a lump. One year later, thank God, she is cancer free. Wouldn't you know it though...I still can't persuade either of them to have a colonoscopy.

14. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sorry to hear all you've been through Rusty....stay strong. I am sharing your post with my husband as I've been hounding him to go.

15. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Backagain1 and brianna61 :wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

......I have very few regrets..........most of those are simple, like not betting hunches and bad har cuts :headbang:

( I actually had a mullet I thought looked good )

• Like Like x 1
  16. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For anyone with a family history, but without something like Crohn's, Cologuard is a new non-invasive option. The test is from a sample done at home.

You still need a Rx. And its approved for people 50 and over, but I remember watching something on the news about it for people under 50 who may be a little worried, and for people who are fearful of a colonoscopy.

http://www.cologuardtest.com/

edit: actually, looks like they put anyone with a family history in the high-risk category, not sure if you can take the test or not.

17. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is Cologuard considered a substitute for a colonoscopy?

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  18. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really. It isn't as accurate as a colonoscopy, even though its close (which only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades).

But for that person who fears general anesthesia, or the person that delays such an important medical procedure - this is a good option.

19. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After reading this thread, I am going to get a colonoscopy soon. I am 45 and was going to wait until 50.

I read somewhere that the test is more accurate when taking 2/3 of the prep in the evening and 1/3 at night. Can anyone verify this?

What exactly makes the prep liquid so bad? What does it taste like?

I heard there are different flavors and different brands. What is the best one? What about flavors? I read lemon is not as bad as the rest.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weird to say, but I've enjoyed reading this thread. I turn 58 next Saturday and have scheduled my first colonoscopy for June 27. I know I should've done this several years ago, but better now than never.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.