1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your first NFL game?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jamesxnj, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Liked the MLB thread so trying this one..
    My first I was an adult in 83 or so.Been a Green Bay fan since the 60's as a little kid and they were on the road @the Giants..One of the members of the golf club I worked at had season tickets for his business and he actually played a short stint with the Giants in the 50's.He gave me two tickets..
    This was a September Monday Night Football game and it was amazing to see the lights and field.
    I had a Packers hat on and saw a couple others scattered around,those days fan apparel was pretty scarce.Got no grief at all from the crowd and one thumbs up from a concession worker..
    The Pack got beat pretty bad that game and I kept waiting for a long TD to James Lofton from Lynn Dickey that never happened..
    Anyone remember Ali-Haji-Sheik the Giants kicker? He had a 56 yarder that was big at the time.

Let hear some stories!

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    October 11th, 1987: Tampa Bay Bucs v. San Diego. I was visiting the future Mrs. Robinson and we took in a game. Back then, you just walked up on game day and bought a ticket at the box office or off someone hawking them in the parking lot.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LA Coliseum, peristyle-end. Cannot remember who the Rams were playing. Probably '70, '71.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1969 Packers vs.??? at Milwaukee County Stadium. Before the Pack became good again and moved all games to Lambeau in 1995, they played 3 games at County Stadium every season. They started playing at the brand new stadium that was built for MLB before Milwaukee had a baseball team. Then the Red Sox moved to Milwaukee and became the Braves.

5. colorfinger

colorfinger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early 90's Bengals preseason game vs the Colts. The game was primarily backups, which given how bad both teams were at the time meant it was pretty poor play. I had been going to Reds games occasionally for a couple years at the time (when they were still good) and that was not a good introduction to live football when compared to the Nasty Boys. We went to a Bearcats game that year too and watched them play a mediocre Louisville. That didn't live up to Bearcat basketball in the least. So, initially, I wasn't big into live football. I went to my next Pro football game two years ago (yeah, big layoff) with my then 8 year old for his birthday. Last game of the season vs the Ravens. The Bengals won and despite the cold weather it was a blast. The new stadium was very nice and the team played very well. My son fondly remembers his first game where as for me, it wasn't much of an experience.

6. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My family has had Bills season tickets for all 57 years of the team's existence, as shown by the football displayed below with my grandfather's first initial. My first game was at age 4, in 1978, and Buffalo lost to a still great Pittsburgh team.
    26170372_10154962591372484_4114395775264393628_o.jpg

• Wow! Wow! x 3
  7. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe...the Red Sox r still in Boston . The Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course you are correct my bad

9. Curt

Curt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kansas City Chiefs vs San Diego Chargers in San Diego in 1978 sometime. Walked up to gate bought my ticket for $5 sat on concrete benches. Don't remember score on thing I remembers was the players were a lot faster in person. And quit staring at the field between plays, no replays in person.

10. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could that have been 1982... the last game before the strike shut down half the season? Although the Packers won that one...

Bowling USBC Nationals
    And a night before a Qua Spa day.
  11. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first pre-season game was a 1989 pre-season game at County Stadium against Kansas City. Game ended in a 21-21 tie.

My first real game was also in 1989 at County Stadium later that season. Right around Thanksgiving they beat the Vikings.

My first Lambeau game was 12-26-91... the day LeRoy Butler did the first Lambeau Leap (and if you watch the highlight, Reggie White was out of bounds before he lateralled it to Butler. Does that mean the Lambeau Leap never happened?)

Bowling USBC Nationals
    And a night before a Qua Spa day.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at Jim Brown's last home game (we didn't know it at the time) at Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1965. I was 7 and remember nothing, except the Brown's played the Redskins. My Dad was a free-lance photographer and had press passes from the Akron Beacon Journal where he later worked for a time. My job was to carry his bag of different lens. He told me they don't usually allow kids down on the field so, "don't act like an idiot" (he used that phrase often with me). I was to be his "assistant". He set up behind the end-zone kinda in the corner. First of many home games he took me to like that. We also went to Cavalier games when they came to town in like 1970 and some Cleveland Crusader WHL hockey games as well.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry duplicate post

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was later in life, but some of my best NFL-related memories are catching the train in Portland with my dad, and heading up to the horrid Kingdome for truly horrid Seahawks games. But they had spirit!

15. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't remember what year it was, but it was only a preseason game with the Redskins. My dad wanted to take me to my first game..What I mainly remembered was how RFK stadium would shake, even during a preseason game, with the fans going wild. This was obviously when the skins were a good team lol...

16. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was also true in the early years of the Nationals. Most of us baseball fans were transplants, and we hadn't known about the rockin' grandstand. The first time it happened, we were like OH SHIT THE OL' GIRL'S GOIN' DOWN! THIS IS IT MAN!

17. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have yet to go to a game.

I was in Minneapolis this Feb 4th during the Super Bowl. I kept an eye on ticket prices but it never went below my predetermined price point. Darn Philly fans. They flooded the city!

Part of me thinks what a first game that would have been to witness. My wallet is happy though. Plus my delusional thinking now says I have X amount that blow on a vacation this Fall so happy about that.

18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not sure if it was 73 or 74...i was 22 or 23.the steve grogan years....one of my neighbors was the GM of a local radio station(WARE) that
    carried the boston teams on the air. the station had season tickets that nobody really wanted so he asked if i
    wanted 2 tickets.... sure... the old schaefer stadium where it appeared everyone had more than one.:drunk:
    that stadium would be put to shame by any decent high school in Texas....
    it was a game against the cowgirls. ended up going to a few games the next couple years
    me and my buddy used to go to the harness races on sunday nights at the old foxboro raceway where part of gillette sits now.... so we'd go to the game, then walk over to the track.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watched the Browns lose to the Giants from nosebleed row at old Municipal Stadium, age about 13. That place was a toilet (literally). Never went back for football. Football is a TV game for me.

OTOH, the Richfield Coliseum was a great place for hockey. Saw numerous Crusaders games there and one NHL game. Montreal whipped the Barons 8-1. Lafleur skated around our guys like they were posts. Tickets were not selling, so I got seats in the first row right behind the goal. Took my brother, but he was not converted. He's a soccer fan- go figure.

20. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was Richfield Coliseum built on the whole halfway to Cleveland, halfway to Akron theory? And then people from both places thought it was too far away and it wound up being convenient for nobody?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.