1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

your first concert?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by chef, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ant1433

ant1433 Low-Roller

Johnny Winter at the Capital Center in Landover Maryland. I think it was 1973 or 1974. Opening act was.. Brownsville Station..lol a month or so later I saw ZZ TOP open for Ten Years After at the Baltimore Civic Center.ZZ Top didn't even have beards back then.

2. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1985 Pat Benatar, seven the hard way tour at the Worcester coliseum. She was great.

Beth

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first and only concert was the osmonds, I got free tickets.

4. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw them in Birmingham, Alabama at Oak Mountain Amphitheater. My mom was mad we stood the whole time, and let me stand n a chair so I could see. All I really remember was there was no Davey Jones and weird Al sang "like a surgeon".

5. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that is right. Definitely taken too soon - I love his music.

6. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Elton John when I was a sophomore in High School in 1974 at the Fabulous Fourm in Los Angels.

7. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First concert ever (with family) that I 'wanted' to go to was the Thompson Twins wsg Berlin (or maybe Til Tuesday). Meadowbrook north of Detroit. I'm guessing it was around 1984-85.

I was dragged to a few concerts prior to that with my mom and sister. Stuff like Manillow and Air Supply come to mind. Those don't count though, as I was too young to opt-out, and didn't really want to be there.:cry:

First concert with friends and no parents/family was the 1st Lollapalooza, summer of 91, at Pine Knob. Janes Addiction, Ice T, Siouxie and the Banshees, Rollins, Living Colour and a few others. I had a blast, but after the concert wasn't so fun. One of my first drinking experiences.:vomit:

Most legendary concert experience for me was likely later that year, in Nov of 91. It was at the smallish Detroit State Theater, and the night started with a band none of us had ever heard of before...Pearl Jam. They were the opener and they absolutely killed it. Next up, the Smashing Pumpkins took the stage, and played an impressive set. Finally, the Red Hot Chili Pepppers, the night's headliner, took the stage and played a solid mix of tunes, old and new, including a few from their newly released Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Just a year later, all 3 acts were selling out, on their own, venues twice the size of the one they shared that tour. Pretty cool.

Pink Floyd 1994 at the Silverdome was probably the "best" concert experience of my life. :nworthy: But...

In June of 1993 the game changed. I went to the Palace of Auburn Hills to attend my first ever Grateful Dead concert. This inevitebly led to what is now almost 20 years of Grateful Dead and post-Garcia renditions of Dead shows, and similar spin-offs. But that is a topic for another thread someday! :peace:

Overall, I've been to hundreds of different concerts in dozens of venues. It was and still is a passion of mine. And I've got a ticket stub collection of almost every show I've attended. Someday I'll mount and framed them all! :beer:

8. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very first was Judy Collins at the Santa Monica Civic. The next month we saw Elton John at the San Diego Sports Arena (Rock of the Westies Tour).

9. Zera

Zera Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first freebie concerts were probably on the Coca-Cola stage at the Calgary Stampede. First paid ones were in 2006, June of 2006 I saw Journey, Queensryche, Whitesnake, and Def Leppard at a rock festival in Germany. Def Leppard being my fave and now have seen them 2 more times. Also saw Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Pink Floyd Experience the same year ('06)

10. dunebug81

dunebug81 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Marilyn Manson April '93 in Ft Lauderdale.

I've been a concert junkie ever since. In 2001 i started to record shows with a minidisc recorder and some homemade microphones, now I use a solid state Sony recorder and various mics depending on the situation (IE if recording is allowed or not) and venue. Around that same time (late 2001/early 2002) I began to have more disposable income and would see/record 600+ shows in 20 states over the next 10 years.

11. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a tad off topic, but I would like to mention a must see if you haven't seen them. If you ever get a chance to see German industrial metal band Rammstein, make sure you go. They will blow you away. The pyrotechnics are amazing. :soapbox:

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm so happy I was able to see Grateful Dead before Jerry died:peace: (I saw them in California, summer of 1995 I think)

13. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On November 1,1970, a concert was held on the arena of the Anaheim Convention Center featuring the musical group "Grand Funk Railroad." Crowds attending this concert had grown too large and could not be accommodated inside the arena. Officers on hand had to contend with an angry and hostile group of youths intent on seeing their favorite rock group. Upset at not being able to purchase tickets to this sold out event, the crowd began to smash plate glass windows and doors of the Convention Center. Anaheim's officers found themselves overwhelmed by the multitude of youths.

At 10:25 p.m., "Code Charlie Checkmate" was activated throughout Orange County requesting aid from other police agencies. Anaheim Police Officers barricaded themselves inside the main entrances behind concrete pillars, holding off the angry crowd by spraying canisters of Mace at them until backups arrived.

Within a short time help arrived in the form of hundreds of police officers from the cities of Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos, Laguna Beach, La Palma, Newport Beach, Orange, Placentia, Santa Ana, San Clemente, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin and Westminster Police Departments along with the California Highway Patrol and Orange County Sheriffs Department and Orange County Animal Control. When the riot was over, 382 law enforcement officers had come to help control the crowd. The assistance was overwhelming to even the most experienced officers. A Sheriffs Sergeant told the newspaper media, "I never saw so many officers in my life!"

That's my first concert with my new girlfriend. Our first date.

14. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw that concert too but in 1977 , just north of you in Lethbridge Alberta
    I remember I was PO'd with my boyfriend at the time, for wanting to leave during the last song ........Beth ! a romantic song and he wanted to leave, I think that night he did propose to me ...... after the concert tho ......needless to say , we never did marry......each other lol

15. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why kids riot is the big mystery to me... But Great Story & What a Great Band.
    Too bad they screwed over Mark Farner! I have several "LP's" on my iPhone.

16. Slick

Slick Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is indeed.

17. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first concert wasn't until I was 17. My aunt and uncle took me to see the Rolling Stones play the Olympic Stadium in Montreal during the Voodoo Lounge tour. We had crappy seats but it was still a very cool moment.

Solo
  18. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Grand Funk Railroad - now, there's a name from the past, what an ass-kicking band.

19. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those of us inside the concert we had no clue what was going on outside, none. We the concert finished we exited upon seeing every different color police uniform, all with facemasks and batons at the ready. They started right where we exited and lined both sides of the narrow street you walked down to your parked car. Everybody that exited were kinda shocked and really silent and just made a beeline to their car and got the hell out of their. We listened to the radio on the way home to find out what happened. I was almost 18 and my girlfriend just16 .

20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first concert was Bob Seger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.