1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas burnout?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by da1chifan, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a few times on day 2 of a 4 day trip I couldn't wait for the trip to be over, it does run in cycles

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I miss that too and when there were actual current headliners in most showrooms. You could see something new every trip. If you don't like Cirque (and I don't) options are limited with Cirque and "resident" acts in most showrooms. Guess that's why we end up seeing the shows we do enjoy multiple times.

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went through a bit of this myself. I dropped the number of trips per year and retooled the trips. I cut out a lot of gambling and substituted with other things that I now enjoy even more. I also realized I just can't drink and party and gamble at the degree I could when I was a bit younger. So far, so good.

4. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I promise you...you'll be back. Enjoy this season while it lasts. Take lots of photos.

5. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THIS!

The changes to Vegas are quite blah. So increase in blahdom with increase in cost.....I think this is my first year where I have been really blah about Vegas for a long period of time.

6. REELmoneySlotFan

REELmoneySlotFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had that problem. We were going to Vegas two times a year and stayed between 8 and 12 nights every time. We take an early morning walk down the Strip, enjoy a couple of hours at the pool, enjoying the sun, having some cocktails and reading a book. We have a nice dinner early in the evening, enjoy a show and do some gambling. We insert a day of shopping, take pics of all the new stuff we see. We also take a day or two to visit Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, the Valley of Fire or Red Rock. We also take the time to meet up with our local friends. So since we do so many different things while in Vegas we simply enjoy every time we're there. The only thing that would keep us away is prices reaching that level where travelling to other places just makes more sense financially.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had my moments crawling through the airport and onto the plane and thought... man, I need a break... that feeling lasts about a week with me.

8. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

9. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha thanks for the input everyone! Glad I'm not alone, and I think you are all right. It doesn't last long. :beer:

10. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't lose a purse this year, but found one outside of Costco. I was loading my car and right next to it was a big black MK with a wallet literally hanging out the top. It looked as if someone had set on their roof and backed out and it just flopped off on the ground. I carefully picked it up and took it back into Costco customer service and turned it in. I imagine someone was quite happy to have gotten that back.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We avoided burnout because we scaled it far back. The fewer-trips regimen started before we moved a bit farther out of range, and I guess it really came of a sense of balance and less same-old, same-old. Don't get me wrong, we love how we Vegas, but in the grand scheme, Bellagio or Plaza, it's effectively the same basic idea just dressed up differently.

It seems for us, a lot of the things that many cite for being Vegas attractants just don't resonate as much. If we want to shake up a few martinis in the evening back home, we do it. If we want a cool meal out or in, we do it. We don't really get the you're-someone-else-in-Vegas schtick either. Going there didn't somehow transform us into hipsters or models. And I guess foremost, our stress load at home really isn't all that. Sure there is work, but we love our work and then we don't have the pressure of kids or elderly parents needing attention or a yard full of animals or trying to forget debt or real-world worries by escaping to Vegas. And we just don't have the gambling jones of so many. We like to play but it's not consuming or driving.

We like staycations, day or short local trips, our big annual trips, having friends and family in for a weekend or a week, visiting them, some Vegas.

12. SandsFan

SandsFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, we use to go 3 or 4 nights and burn the candle at both ends. Now we go 5 to 6 nights and prepare a detailed itenerary for each day. We try out new restaurants and site seeing from this board. Last trip was a rental car and drive to Lee Canyon, Mt Charleston and a new restaurant. We made 5 trips to Vegas last year mostly on the strip but also downtown and the Rio.

This is the first time in several years I haven't had my next Vegas trip planned. Strange feeling.

The 3 P trip (Paris, Palms and ??)
    The 3 P Trip (Paris, Palms and ??)
  13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's real easy to get Vegas burnout if all you do is lose, lose, lose. I enjoy going solo and all I do is gamble. So it's real easy to get discouraged when the gambling goes sour.

The general consensus so far is that Vegas can remain fresh as long as done in small doses, like Shifter mentioned. Of course if the gambling has been doing good for you it always helps.

Doing other things in Vegas like sightseeing, shopping, hiking, etc. also keeps it fresh. For me going 3 or 4 times a year would be enough. So far I only managed 2 trips a year, so I haven't experienced burnout. (yet).

14. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's the key...my wife HATES Reno, because it seems like all we ever did/do is lose, lose, lose...
    In Vegas, it's probably 50/50 win/lose, so we're still good (the last couple trips have been good winners)

15. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember reading that anything that provides overstimulation (yes even that :evillaugh ) will cause a loss of feeling and enthusiasm for the activity over time, so while something like a cruise may take longer to develop a loss of enthusiasm compared to Vegas, do it enough in a short time span long enough you will get bored. But who does not like to be overstimulated :wink2:

16. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get burn out from being IN vegas but coming from JFK it is the GETTING TO vegas that I can't stand. Last year I went in August then again in October (and I normally only go once a year on average). At the airport coming back from the October trip I had had enough. Still planning the next trip hopefully for late summer.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see that. Didn't you write elsewhere that you lose north of $40,000 annually in Reno? That would take the fun out of vacay for certain. I know for some here that's a pittance. I can't fathom dropping that amount. Hell our golf, travel and wine tab isn't even close to that. lol Glad Vegas runs better for you!

18. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No shit, right?!
    I like Reno because it's only a 3 hour drive :evillaugh
    But costing enough to buy a NICE car per year...is not worth it!

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're savvy enough to know it's just math and randomness. Reno is not "bad" and Vegas is not "good." But may the streak be with you.

20. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never experienced anything remotely resembling "Vegas burnout".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.