1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA stories/experiences?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by surf87, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made the mistake of wearing a pair of overalls and set off the detector.
    I was pulled aside for a very thorough pat-down.

T'was the most action I'd seen in quite awhile! :wink2:

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had one of those pat downs as well. I told the guy that as long as he was not smiling while he was patting me down it would be all good. If he smiled he would have to "cash me outside how bout dat," (lol).

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And, in 45+ years of above average travel, we have NEVER, EVER locked our bags. If they want that crap - take it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 2002 my wife and I were flying to Vegas. When I got to the security checkpoint I was subject to random screening/patdown and then before boarding the plane at my home airport and then again when boarding the plane after a layover in Memphis. I found this ironic, I was a deputy sheriff and my badge was clearly visible when I opened my wallet to show my ID I used to board the plane. In Vegas when leaving along with Minn/St Paul, all I got was a "thank you for your service".

5. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago a family member was flying and forgot a gun was in her bag (somehow). She had to go through a lot of questioning and in the end got fined like 5K. I dont know all of the details, but know she felt pretty stupid.

6. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once on a flight from Los Angeles to Reno my Ambien pills went from about 12 pills down to 4 pills. I don't suspect the TSA stole it but rather the Southwest baggage handler inside the plane's cargo hold. I believe once the Southwest baggage handler finished loading the plane he had some extra time to unzip some of the outside pockets of suitcases and he came across my Ambien bottle and snatched 8 Ambien pills and left me the 4 remaining pills. Lesson learned not to leave anything valuable in the outside pockets of my suitcase. Now I stuff my Ambien deep inside my suitcase. When I opened my Ambien bottle in Reno that night I knew I had brought more than 4 Ambien pills. I should have reported it to Southwest and made a police report.

7. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't be concerned. The short answer is that most of the deliveries to airport vendors are scanned

I Need Spa
  8. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has always been a fear of mine so I have a Vegas backpack that is only used for trips to Las Vegas. I never take it to the ranch or range. I remember on our first trip after 9-11 my wife got busted for having a small pair of folding scissors in her make-up bag.

Mark

9. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good idea to have separate bags. I always carry a backpack that I can stuff my purse in and still carry school work, computer, etc., and usually a carry on wheeled spinner, but never really thought about having separate bags.

Right after 9/11, we went on a cruise and I had nail clippers that have a built-in file. You'd have thought I had assaulted the TSA agent the way they were treating me. I guess some people take their job a little too serious.

Now, when I travel alone and need to carry a spare magazine, I just keep it on my person. I'm a pretty good shot, but that doesn't matter much to my husband and he insists I carry plenty of lead with me.

10. concretekid

concretekid Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotten the full pat down 7 times on 8 flights in the last year. I don't get it fat white wearing flip flops and fleece not exactly fitting the terrorist profile. The only time I didn't get it was New Years day when the airport was so jammed they were using the metal detectors only. Guess will see if the streak continues @HHH next Friday morning.

11. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Fun until cops show up, then we play Hide n' Seek!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had my carry-on searched on trip to Vegas.
    Had my carry-on searched on trip home.
    Had the TSA card in my checked suitcase on trip home.

I give them credit for doing all three for all the crap I carry & pack.

12. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the pat-down almost every time I go through. I think it's the metal in me that does it. But, one of the TSA people did let me know something this last trip that NONE had told me in may 16+ flights. Since I use a cane, I can skip the normal line, and go right through to the pre-check line. Wish I would have known that a while ago. Leaving Austin when I do normally isn't too bad. But, coming back there's usually a pretty long line to get through.

But, funny thing happened this last time. Sent my stuff through the x-ray, and they pulled my backpack out. Had no clue why. So, after someone FINALLY pulled it over... my bag of chips set it off. Guess it was hungry.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first time I went to Vegas was also the first time I went through one of the full body scanners. I emptied my pockets of everything EXCEPT for the wad of spending cash in a plastic baggie so of course it set off some alarms, they pulled me back to question me and search me and found that the culprit was $1000 in mostly 20's.

Completely unrelated, one of my closest friends was a TSA agent. I was a groomsman in his wedding and the only non-TSA employee in his side of the wedding party! At the rehearsal dinner and throughout the wedding I heard many fascinating stories by the people who are supposedly keeping this country safe from terror.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. MiDenny

MiDenny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beware the Cheetos!

Travelling from Detroit to Vegas last year, we were waiting for wheelchair assistance for the wife to get through security and to the gate. This was probably the last trip before we signed up for Pre Check. The people manning the wheelchair desk were kind enough to offer snacks and water to the few of us waiting. The wife was grateful for the bag of cheetos and bottle of water. She had one of those days that was so hectic preparing to be away from work for a couple days, that she didn't have time to eat lunch.

So, she had randomly drawn pre-check on her boarding pass, I wasn't so lucky. The guy that ended up assisting with the wheelchair suggested that we go through the accessible line and that she not take advantage of the Pre-check line. This way, he could bring me through with them instead of her doing pre-check and me having to go through the long regular line. I breezed right through and was waiting on the other side. Well, she was snagged for the random additional check. Apparently, when they swabbed her shirt (or hands maybe, not sure) and inserted the swab into the machine, it started going crazy. So that took it to the next level. She got "violated" in her words lol. Groped, bags opened and completely searched.

I had no idea what was going on. I took a seat just beyond security and dealt with some work issues. 20 minutes at least passed by (she swears it was 45) before she made it through. However long it was, apparently everything she was going through was ultimately my fault as she could have left me in the dust and breezed though the pre-check line. Not knowing how traumatized she was by the experience, I responded by laughing and making a reference to the explosive cheetos dust.......probably wasn't my best move at the time, yikes! She was NOT happy.

I STILL hear about this like it was actually my fault. But a reminder that she had plenty of laughs at my expense as I drew the "random" extra checks on almost every flight for a couple years usually sets it right.

Cheers!

15. bronx12

bronx12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just leaving my local airport and it never fails, the person in front of you, just woke up from a 40 year nap and was shocked that he needed an ID to get through security. WTF? Went on a rant on why he needed an ID, he was with his wife, they had boarding passes, why did he need an ID. How do people like this get through life? What gets me is they let him through without any ID, they just patted him down and went through his bag. They told him when he tries to get back from Denver to get there 3 hours early. How in the heck does that work? Have we all been bringing IDs for nothing? Any TSA experts out there?

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lot's of people lose or get their wallets stolen on vacation, they still fly after questioning, it happens many times a day at large airports.

17. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why you always keep your rat poison in your ambien pill bottles. Lesson learned

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You actually do NOT have to have an ID. But, without it, they can step up the screening process and make you wish you had an ID. If the guy was just against showing it, they should have thrown everything at him they had. A$$hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.