1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA Pre-Check

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Ty, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm hoping to make several trips to Vegas this year and a couple or more to Texas. I finally decided to apply for TSA Pre-Check.

I did the online application this past Sunday and scheduled the interview for 1pm the next day. It took about an hour to drive there, the interview was basically me providing my id, birth certificate, and finger prints. They took a picture of me.

I was back on the road by 1:15. Around 5:00 that same day I got an email update. My status had changed to Eligibility Determined, I Googled this and it seemed to me I was approved.

Today I received another email saying I was approved and a link to get my known traveler number.

My wife has a KTN through her job. In the past I would get Pre-Check if I booked my flight along with hers. But if I go to Vegas before her and we travel home together she would get Pre and I would not.

We flew ATL to Hobby recently and both got Pre. They had a new thing in place that scans your ID. This took a minute and became the choke-point. Getting through the luggage scanners took no time, you kinda had the place to yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McCarran isn't very TSA Pre-check friendly. At least in my experience they usually have it closed and make you get in line with the regular boarders. The only perk is they give you a paper saying TSA and you don't have to take your shoes off but if you beep they make you take it off anywyas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scan your ID instead of you boarding pass? Charlotte Pre-Check has had a pilot for this for awhile (I want to say about a year) and it has generally been quicker than handing over ID and boarding pass (or scanning the BP). Was there something specific that caused the delays?

Vegas Baby!
  4. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems that one's spouse gets precheck if you have it, even if they don't officially.

5. GR630

GR630 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love having pre-check. Especially since I don't have to take out all my camera gear any more. Funny thing, when I applied, I did so maybe a month or so before my trip. I was waiting and waiting and still no KTN the day before my flight. I was like oh well, at least maybe I'll get it for the flight home. I got in my car around 5am to go to the airport the morning of my flight and that's when I got the email with the KTN. Updated my mobile boarding pass right then, and good to go!

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get back in the pack with the rest of the homies. WHO do YOU think you are ? :nono: Jeeze, some people. :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't recall specifically but I believe that in CLE when I left for Vegas in Feb that I put my phone on the scanner and showed the lady my ID. I had a photo of the boarding pass which also worked to get on the plane.

Anyone travelling with you typically gets it as long as you have your number in the system and all tickets are booked on the same reservation. When I flew in 2018 I bought the tickets and then got my KTN. As a result my GF had to go through regular security and I went through precheck on the way out. It took her 45 minutes and me 5. On the way home both our boarding passes printed with the precheck.

As far as precheck in vegas, it takes slightly longer than where I am in Cleveland but still only a few minutes. They wouldn't give you the bowls for your pocket goods and wanted you to put everything in your carry on before putting it on the belt for scannong.

8. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great, Now everyone is going to apply for it

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They only wanted the ID. They stuck in a machine that sucked in a for a moment then the guy would look at the computer screen. Took a minute or so. On top of that he would ask about 10% for their boarding pass.

10. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, that's the same system. Wonder if it's just a training thing, as I found it quicker than the traditional method in Charlotte. Actually, my last trip there were two lines for Pre Check, one using the scanner and one the traditional pre-check boarding pass and ID, and we could see the scanner line moving quicker.

Vegas Baby!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That must be a certain check area... we ALWAYS get precheck and go right through. We have been there when it opened at 6am or so at least twice - if it had been 10 minutes earlier, we would have gone the regular route.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew out on sprint at LAS around 5PM on a Monday a few weeks ago and the pre check line was closed at that security point for the day already

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I flew last week Austin was doing the ID scan only. It was fast.

14. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear. I'm hoping to be in Austin mid April.

15. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre check at the A/B gates have limited hours. (Sun/Mon/Thu/Fri) 5 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Tue, Wed, Sat..
    https://www.mccarran.com/security

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In today’s third world flying environment, I can’t imagine that anyone who took more than a flight a year not wanting pre-check. Our preference is to make our airline travel as hassle free as possible, and pre-check helps do that. Almost everyone we know who has pre-check has an occasional complaint about it, but we don’t know anyone who is giving it up.

Would you like pre-check? Yes, please. Would you like to give it up and get a refund because the last time you went the line was closed? No, thank you.

We have pre-check and global entry. Global entry saves even more time and hassle than pre-check.

The conveniences and failures have been well and exhaustively documented on this Board, but I think the consensus is “go for it.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have Global Entry and Clear. Clear gets to cut the Pre-check line

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the pre-check at LGA (older terminals) is closed, they give you a card that gets you "expedited screening" where you don't need to take off your shoes or take laptop out of bag and such.

In LAS I saw the reverse. In the C check point they had a dog and were announcing "Everyone is Pre-Check today, please don't pet the dog." and the dog sniffed your bag as you were moving through the queue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got TSA Pre last summer.
    Hopefully, one of these days, we'll actually get to use it. :cool:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  20. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had 3 flights already booked.
    Did precheck and got my KTN and was able to go back and add it to my already booked flights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.