1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

traveling with your dog in the airplane cabin

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by raraavis, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My small dog

My doggie is used to wearing sweathers and jackets. I recently bought her a summer dress to hide her white doggie diaper.lol. She only makes wee wees
    in her diaper. If I had to fly with her I wouldn't give her any food until the ride was over. I would give her some water if needed.

I truly like her wearing her diaper and it doesn't bother her at all. YEA!

I have a feeling that you will be able to find someone you know to take care of your beautiful white doggie. It is true that we all have to be very careful of who takes care of our pets. LucyR.

2. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least it's in the cabin. :rolleyes2:

3. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just flew with a new lab puppy about 17 lbs on southwest they have to be able to stand upright and turn around in the under seat carrier and its $75 each way that being said it was painless. but at 17lbs he was barely able to fit the standard. depending on your dogs height they may not let him on my 17lb puppy was very borderline. Also if the dog is 6 months+ in age if allowed to potty before you board you should have no trouble with 6-8 hours before they need another break and 10-12 hours is very possible. dogs can hold it when they need too unless they are very young or sick.

4. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    check out local dog sitters.

We found a local pet sitter when we were away for two weeks. Ex cop as well and we checked his references.

checked on the cats, sorted out food and liter tray, checked on the house and brought the mail in and made it look as if someone was living there.

all for $20 a day for one visit (although if we had a dog we'd have paid for two visits a day)

worth the peice of mind...

Remeber - Vegas isn't for kids or dogs.... :wink2:

5. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah like i said, our dog isn't very tall. he's just a bit stocky. i think he would be shorter than a lab puppy (at least he is with the lab puppies he's been around). and he is very good about the bathroom. that's not my biggest concern with him. he's on a schedule pretty much now (not one we put him on, just his natural thing). my biggest concern was the stress level for him and his size.

as i said before, i'm not comfortable with getting a pet sitter. there is just not enough time to interview and get references. and i am not comfortable with a stranger coming into my home (even an ex cop!).

you say vegas isn't for dogs as if i would actually have him with me on our vacation. i said in my original post that my dad would be dog sitting him while we are on the strip, having our vacation. i never planned to have him actually staying with us on our vegas vacation. that's just mean. he would be bored all alone in our hotel room the whole time. no way! i love my dog more than that. :blowkiss:

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not looking to anger anyone, but the entire concept of someone coming over to let the dog out just seems wrong to me. Cats, I understand.

Not the stranger coming into your house part, but the fact that they are going to come over twice, maybe three times? a day, feed and let the dog out and that's it.

Dog gets no other interaction and is alone maybe 20-22 hours per day? That just doesn't seem right IMO, especially if it's a 4-5 night trip.:peace:

Not looking for a fight, just expressing my feelings.

7. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agreed, which is why we're also against just boarding him at our vet's for that long. there is no stimulation there :(

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I can't speak for all pet sitters, but we did more than that. For people on vacation, we visited dogs 3x a day, minimum. Early morning was a 30 minute visit including feeding, walking, play, attention, etc. In the afternoon, we'd do a 30 minute walk. At night another 30 minute visit for play, dinner, walking and putting them to bed.

Unfortunately, this is sometimes more activity/attention than they get when their owners are home. :( I know we went out of our way to make sure the dogs were happy as we could make them.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly Sonya, I don't see how your routine varies much from my post about the subject.:peace:

10. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sad but probably true for lots of pets :(

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you, Joe, but I wanted to defend pet sitters by saying it's a bit more than "feed and let the dog out".

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just flew back tonight on Sw, saw a baggage handler carry on a little dog in a container(with a little old lady who owned it), he apparently didnt know it was an animal in the case and he just asked her where she was sitting and proceded to open an overhead bin and just cram the little guy into it with a hard shove, a flight attendent yelled "you cant put an animal in the bin' and everyone laughed - he said he was sorry to the old hag.

13. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    aw, that poor dog!

but good news is one of our friends is able to watch einstein while we're in vegas, so we're all set! :thumbsup:

thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions! :wave:

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kinda agree, Joe, and as I said before, that's why we've chosen the "right" thing for us and would-be pets by not having any. But that regimen ain't exactly neglectful, and it's better than what probably 80 percent of pets get.

Not looking for a fight, either, and just expressing my feelings about the larger topic: Dogs and cats remain animals. They are not humans. They are not little people, no matter how utterly ridiculously one dresses them or wraps them up in Depends when their physical condition deteriorates. If you take on the responsibility of being a pet owner, then you damn well better treat them with care and respect. However, do not think that all of us want to share spaces of public, human accommodation with your pride and joys.

15. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    heck, that's how i feel about most people's kids! :eek:

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A valid feeling, as well.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup:

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And this:
    At the tender age of 3, Daniel Yanchuk boarded a plane headed from Seattle to Miami with his family. He had, as his mother Svetlana Yanchuk would later tell reporters, “flown many times before without any trouble.” This, however, was not one of those times.

Daniel was seated with his father Mark Yanchuk in the main cabin, while his mother, grandmother and one-year old brother were given a free upgrade to first class. This is what happened next:

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/06/04/should-some-planes-be-kid-free/#ixzz1wrP4xv9p

19. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know, a lot just depends on the dog. Some dogs are much more comfortable in their home environment than they would be at a kennel or even at a (human) friend's house. An elderly dog might be quite content sleeping the day away on his own bed; another dog might want to stay in his yard all day but come inside to sleep at night.

Over the years and with three different dogs I've used traditional petsitters, I've used kennels, I've had friends (last time the daughter of a friend, actually) stay at my house. The best setup was a woman I met at the dog park who had two collies of her own, and who happened to live quite close to me. Benny would stay at her house and she'd come over and feed the cats a couple of times a day. Unfortunately she moved and it's not convenient any more. :(

To the OP, I'm just really glad the problem is solved and you and Einstein will be happy!!

20. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am happy for Einstein

I am so glad the problem was solved. "Whew".....

My attitude is that I prefer to have my dog stay home where she knows I will return home from my vacation. She doesn't have to go hunt me down.

My dog is used to my dog sitter taking care of her needs. My dog is not active anymore and she tolorates life as a old senior dog. The only joy she gets in life is going for a car ride, bark at the neighbors, and eat a good fun meal. She spends most of her time sleeping day and night.

When I get home from Vegas she is real happy to see me. I take her for a car ride to make her happy.

I see my dog as a pet who loves me unconditionally which is something none of family members have done for me. This is why in return I try to keep her safe and happy. She gives me lots of joy in my life.
    I don't give her human qualities...... but... I do give her the protection and love my dog should have as a loving pet.
    I have always paid whatever it costs to keep my dog safe when I go on a vacation. Lucy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.