1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Solo dinner reservations

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by HoppinHardWays, Jan 13, 2024.

1. HoppinHardWays

HoppinHardWays VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoops I'd been adding where solo can

Labor Day!
  2. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never had a problem until Nov/Dec 2023. Hells Kitchen would not honor my reservation and said new policy, no solo diners. I asked for a manager and still denied and he noted many of the places for CET may be instituting the same due to new rules for the staff. I’m guessing the new contracts limited the # of covers they can make an employee do per shift. A solo diner at a table for 2 counts as 2 from the days I worked as a server.

I had to have my host contact all my reservations to ensure they’d take me. Peter Luger sat me just fine. Not sure if it was cause host told them they had better, or else…

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Wow! Wow! x 4
  3. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah. Retriggerme reminded me. I went to Javier’s at Aria for a late lunch and they told me bar seating only first come first serve and they do not normally seat one person in the main dining room. I showed the platinum card and she said they are not really part of MGM so it didn’t matter:(

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  4. petevegas

petevegas Stick with me baby, I'm the fella you came in with

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had reservations at Lakeside as a solo diner. Do not recall which mode of communication i used to make the reservation. At least once I used the concierge

5. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suspect the day/date will have a lot of bearing on the availability of solo tables.

On a quiet midweek evening they will be glad of whatever business comes through the door, but a Saturday night will see them wanting to see a bum on every seat, and relegating solos to the bar.

6. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My issue at HK was midweek. Lots of empty tables, bar was full, and I had an actual reservation. They still wouldn't seat me and said I could wait for a bar seat. I asked them to call or text me when one opened up. They said sorry it's first come first serve which meant stand there and wait for one to open. So that place is on my sh*tlist for the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Odd. HK sat me as a solo diner at a table in late November. You were able to get seated at Peter Luger. Seems like it isn’t consistent, which makes it harder to know which place blacklists solo diners from getting a table!

I’m more understanding if it’s busy and a weekend, but honestly, it shouldn’t matter. Its almost a form of discrimination. Everyone should be able to get a table, even if you’re a solo diner. Thats why it’s helpful to have this blacklist to avoid places or know I have to go with someone. Otherwise, I presume I’m able to get a table wherever I go eat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No ALMOST about it. It's absolutely a form of discrimination. And in Vegas, it's probably bad business.

I can't claim to know for certain, but in Vegas, I'd guess that solo diners are either gamblers, or business people on expense accounts. Not all, but more than other cities. So, the assumption that the revenue per table is absolutely lower for solos is flawed. Gamblers are either a little more extravagant in ordering, or on a comp.

I wish I had a $5 TITO for every time I sat solo, adjacent to tourists shocked by resort prices and ordering frugally. Or local seniors who are splitting one entrée to use a locals' deal, and having every bit of leftovers boxed.

Personally, I tip more, due to awareness that my solo meal may be affecting the servers income.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it was early Dec for me. Was your trip before or after the F1? I believe the new contracts started just after F1???
    Well when I called my host she said 'hmm, I doubt they would do that to a hosts reservation'. Perhaps, hinting at me to book my restaurant reservations through her? Either way, no one even blinked at me for the rest of my reservation that trip after she emailed/called all of them (including Peter Lugers and it was crowded when they sat me by myself at a table for 4).

I'd also likely be on the higher end of the tips. Seeing that I get most of my meals comped and I drink semi pricey scotch.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @EzE I went to HK on Nov 27 so it was after F1…I don’t know if it makes a difference that I was there the previous month with a friend so they saw I was a repeat customer?

11. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I used to eat there every trip (which is a couple times a year) to Vegas and never had issues until this last trip. I actually liked Old Homestead and Mesa Grill better but I usually try to not eat at the same place multiple times in the same trip and CP don't got that much (and even less now) to choose from. My main rage was that I had a reservation for 1 in the system(it lists as 2 but they note its for 1 when you call for reservations for 1) that was put in 3 months before. It wasn't like I walked up and tried to get seated. So basically they turned me away and that reservation slot was occupied by my reservation which means empty table.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, thats sh*tty to be denied a reserved seat! You know what they could do is just say if you want a table, you have to spend a minimum of X—no matter how many diners. That takes away the argument that solo diners spend less and everyone is happy, except for the people that don’t want to spend X. It’s not perfect, but it’s a way for the servers to maintain their tip income? IDK. Just throwing out ideas.

Anyways, I was also a fan of old homestead and mesa grill, but now CP has Peter Luger, Brasserie B, and Stanton Social. So until I get tired of it, I like the options at CP now. The latter two, I was able to get a table as a solo diner last week:)

13. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peter Luger isn't all that and its not really designed for a solo diner in a sense. The apps/sides are way too large in some cases for 1 person. Brasserie B wasn't open when I was there last, and Stanton Social didn't really impress me. Sadly CP is going downhill for me. OH and Mesa Grill gone and even the few places I liked in the food court are gone (Crepes place, Smash Burger, and the BBQ place).

• Like Like x 1
  14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to go all lawyer on this, but it's not protected discrimination, which is usually what we're talking about when we use that word. A $25 blackjack table is discrimination against people who don't have $25, but that's not a protected category. Being solo isn't protected either, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you need to train to eat more;). Just kidding, but not lol. I mean any place you go, but especially in America, will typically have large apps and sides and almost always leftovers. It’s rare to have a perfectly portioned meal where you’re full, but not stuffed and need to be rolled out! I remember that was one reason why I enjoyed the three course special at Mesa grill. Excellent value!

Peter Luger, I’ve decided I like it there, but not for their steak. I mean I like the steak, but not when I want a steak lol. The Dover was good. I like they have decent side veggies too. Both their potato options were noms. Good drinks and wine selection too. Its nice to have a healthy meal in Vegas lol

The steak at Stanton Social is always decent. I also enjoyed the oyster Rockefeller, salad and hash browns. Its good for one person or shared. Just avoid the fried stuff and instagram stuff though I do want to try the milkshake desert next time. Their service is just not very good as long lag times and times when no server is in sight. This happened both times I’ve been there now. I don’t bother getting the cocktails there. Wine selection is okay.

Brasserie B is decent. Not best ever, but I like anything new to try. Semi healthy. It’s also open for lunch so the menu is slightly different, but mostly the same. Cocktails aren’t great. But I like the look and feel of the place. Service is good. Portions aren’t outrageous. Maybe this will be your new spot at CP:)

I don’t eat at food court, but the few times I’ve contemplated, nothing really looked good to me.

16. Cooter

Cooter Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a wonderful solo meal in the dining room at Joel Robuchon in November. I was able to book solo no problem through Seven Rooms.

I think that it's natural that service will spend more time at larger tables, but I definitely didn't feel looked down upon or left out. I actually reserved for the first seating and was the only person in the dining room for a good 15 minutes. My server was happy to hang out and chat until more folks arrived for dinner. Also, unlike some other fancy places (looking at you, Bartolotta at the Wynn), the sommelier knew exactly how much time he could spend chatting and explaining pours before he had to move on to the next table. I never felt like he was hurrying and I never saw anyone with food and an empty glass.

• Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything with the word "healthy" I avoid when in Vegas. Its vacation time! I realize large sides are a thing at steak houses, but PL was large for even 2 people. Its a shame too, I do love the german fried potatoes there but I can't even eat a quarter of the plate if I have a steak also. What I do find humorous is the difference in prices for drinks at these places. PL scotch prices were like twice that of Amalfi. OH was that place where food was good, drinks were reasonable, and service was usually good. Also, lots of places used to do half orders of sides (where you get half but pay slightly more than half the price) but lately its just no to that.

18. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it will be an issue at any of the super high ends like JR. I don't think they rely on filling all the seats to turn a profit. I've had issues in the past couple years with MGM and Seven Rooms for some places. One of the Steak Houses at MGM wouldn't seat me at a table, but bar was wide open so no wait but I was irked as there were tons of tables for 2 just sitting empty.

19. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How far in advance did you book? Every time I look, only the 9/9:30pm slot is open. I don’t like to plan that far in advance as I eat based on my mood, but its looking like I may have to:(

20. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, this conversation has come up before on VMB, and a few years back I would have been on the other side saying 'you guys are crazy, never had an issue as a solo diner'. However, over the past few years my opinion has changed. Its becoming more and more of an issue, and its unfair. I eat fast, tip well, and order pricey drinks. I'm probably more $/hr than most tables of 4 cause I just eat and get out. I don't sit there chatting or discussing the menu or whatever people do when they sit there for hours. If it starts being more of a problem maybe I need to download Tinder, or someone can invent an app for a dinner partner cause the evil restaurant is discriminating against solo diners! Its all going to be comped anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1