1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pro Sports Gambler from LV on Jeopardy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bonzai, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if Holzhauer is in the mix yet to be considered to be the new host of the show. Ive seen several people calling for Ken Jennings to get the job. When they did that super team Jeopardy I had my suspicions it was sort of a try out to see how some especially Jennings related to the audience. With the history of game shows I'm sure there's some conspiracy theorists out there saying this is all staged for that to occur. . I like to read them but dont subscribe to them.

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
  2. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being a "host" is a little different than being a "contestant." One would have to have that "overall appeal" to the entire audience and be as light/charismatic as Trebek. Imagine, for example, who might replace Jeff Probst on "Survivor" should Jeff ever decide to leave (not that there's any indication of that, anytime soon). By the above logic, the replacement would be "Boston Rob" and/or "Parvati Shallow." And, while Boston Rob would work in the Boston/NY areas (and Shallow in Calif.), would they appeal to the rest of the country? (Aside: Boston Rob and Sandra Diaz-Twine (the only two-time winner) will feature prominently in the next season of Survivor as "coaches" to some of the team, as they ponder their fate on whatever the instance of "redemption island/edge of extinction, etc." exists).

Admittedly, I haven't watched Jeopardy, recently, so he (Holzhauer) might have that quality. I just don't know. But whoever it may be, they have to be (to use a "West Wing" euphemism), "Good for all time zones."

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, he seems to have the personality that just may be able to pull it off, that is (think positive!) of course that Alex is forced to retire soon.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately at age 78 and with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, not sure Alex will be hosting the show too much longer.

5. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think anyone will beat Jjeopardy James.
    He will end up beating himself.
    Pardon my language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, I must agree. My uncle was 3 weeks shy of his 80th birthday when he left us due to the same thing. Roughly 2 months from initial diagnosis to his passing. That said, my uncle chose to withhold treatment and opted for just "pain management." Apparently, he had seen his own father go through something similar and didn't want to repeat that.

Alex seems to want to fight with chemo, etc. etc. So we'll see.

7. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The two million dollar man!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think he actually stopped hosting the show already
    The current episodes are filmed in advance
    I don't think he will be back in the fall when new taping resumes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does it again in a runaway over 2 million . WOW , and he did not get any of the daily doubles in the second round , he had 25,000 after the first round .

10. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was behind for more than half the show yesterday

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if RBG might have a dissenting opinion on that!

12. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've known too many people who have passed due to pancreatic cancer, a recent one was a dear friend. It is ghastly, utterly ghastly. It seems more prevalent than it used to be. The survival rate is exceptionally low. I wish Alex, and others with it, the best and hope they beat it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We shall see. He says he will be, but we'll see. I'm sure if there's a change, it will be on the gossip shows (TMZ, ET, etc.) before we see a new episode taped.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @dmr RBG??

15. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "Notorious" RBG..... Ruth Bader Ginsburg.... Associate justice of the Supreme Court.... In her mid 80's but still on the court. And with Colon and Pancreatic, and then lung. But in her case, I think the "pancreatic" was diagnosed early.... perhaps early enough to keep it in check.

16. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look, I wish him the best but stage 4 means it has spread to other parts/organs of the body.
    Don't even get me started on family members I have lost to cancer.

I wish him the best. Even before James became a phenom, we recorded the show every weekday to show how dumb we were. :D

• Like Like x 4
  18. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    James was on a roll tonight $130,022 unreal and beat goes on. I think this broke his own record ????

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just watched it. I was halfway expecting a rerun for Memorial Day, but I taped it just in case. He started out strong and finished strong! No real contest at all today.

20. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was a bit short of his own record. He hit for $131K and change previously.

As a lifelong game show rube, I'm still not a scholar on the subject. But I can't recall a contestant ever ascending to emcee status... at least not directly. Vanna White was a contestant on TPIR once, and eventually became the hostess of Wheel, but I digress.

When Alex announced his cancer, speculation began. My thought after a week or two: They may need a sub to take over initially. Will Alex ever return? If not, does that sub become permanent? With the rise of King James, Jeopardy can't afford to delay the start of next season, assuming James is still champ. Early on I figured a bad game would end his streak before he won 38 games. I've changed my mind.

Ken Jennings would be a decent choice, or would have been, to replace Alex. He's synonymous with the game, and they are running out of ways to exploit him on the show. Although with James' reign of terror, they have a new reason to trot out Ken and Brad Rutter.

Both Ken and Brad are comfortable in front of cameras after all these years. Either one could do Alex' job. I vote for Brad. He's basically trying to be an "on-camera" guy at this point in his life, so he'd move into the role just fine. And if any Jeopardy champ should be retired, it should be him. He didn't get to win 74 in a row thanks to the rules when he played, but he wins every tourney they trot him out for, besting Ken every time. So if you choose one of the two, I vote Brad. But again, a new super showdown between Ken, Brad and King James has to be the answer to the prayers of Jeopardy producers.

Bonus: Picking a retired champ could add a new twist. Each day the host could play along with Final Jeopardy. That would be interesting to see.

I speculated about the future host of Jeopardy in a blog post on a non-Vegas blog, but the world seems to be more uptight these days about posting links to your own creations, so I'll spare you all the "temptation" of reading my long-winded rambling. I'd rather not have my post zapped. I call it erring on the side of caution. I know we share a lot of stuff here, but I had posts zapped recently that linked to Vegas content, so safety first.

As for James: Even with the game where he could have been beat last week, he wasn't. Had his opponent went "all in" on his second-round Daily Double, James loses before he gets to $2M in winnings. Players who can play a game perfectly, (and do so,) to beat James are going to be hard to come by. Dude had it last week, but didn't bet big enough in Double Jeopardy, and didn't get lucky on Final Jeopardy. James is going to need to have an off day on a day when somebody can beat him at his own game. Could happen any time, but I'm not expecting it to happen for many weeks, at minimum. I'd wager $5 James goes into the summer hiatus in late July as the reigning champ.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.