1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Just Testing Posting Pictures

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jdvegas, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the software resizes it for you.

If you are on a computer and look at the image you just uploaded, it looks like the board software has sized it down to fit in our limits.

2. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I'm looking at it now, and it seems to appear a bit smaller than some other examples I see on forum but certainly not an issue at all. If the board "pares down" for me the sizing to make it agreeable with the forum then I'm good to go and not upsetting the system here. That's good because based on my few experiments here am pretty well set to fire away when live, which is what I'm ultimately trying to accomplish.

The time for me to find out there's a problem is NOT when in Vegas. I get a little "fumbly" when cutting/pasting stuff into and out of imgur and similar services, I am looking to upload and drop the photos into the post with text and have it look sane and readable for the viewer. I'll keep playing and see what messes I can create and clean up to allow more possibilities for presentation. More coming here soon for testing,. and thanks for clarifying....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checks that page again and looks good......

4. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    B0663C77-6D4C-4FDE-A8A9-A6D79E1F2C2D.jpeg 8E75977D-AC0C-4359-A09C-5A83CD985AE9.jpeg 0204B322-252E-4A61-966D-47E3DAC4616C.jpeg 348F9EDF-B9AA-4587-B5F7-616BB7DEC4D3.jpeg

From NYC to LAS......

• Like Like x 1
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may have posted this before, sorry if a repost, but here's a write-up I did for another board (GBO Forum) on how to post an appropriately-sized image in a forum using the tools that Flickr gives you to do so.

Of course, you need to have your photos uploaded to Flickr, which is (still, for now) free, and Flickr does a very good job of normalizing size for you.

Here's a cut-paste of my item ...

Ok, here's an illustrated example of exactly how to post the above photo (shown on the other system) into this forum, using Flickr as external storage.

Step 1: Select your photo from your Flickr gallery.

[​IMG]

Click on your photo, of course, to select it.

Step 2: Notice the arrows in the lower right corner of the screen showing your image.

[​IMG]

Click on the curvy arrow that points to the right.

[​IMG]

That is your "share button" on Flickr.

Step 3: Select the size you want to use from the drop-down and click on (VERY important) the "BBCode" selection.

[​IMG]

Step 4: Notice the blue highlighted "gobbledygook" that appears. This is your generated BBCode.

[​IMG]

Right-click on the selection and choose "copy" to copy the BBCode to your computer's clipboard. (Or use any alternate method to copy.)

Final step: Go to your new message on GBO (or in this case VMB) and paste the BBCode into your message.

TA-DA! :)

Now, a take-away for you! Your homework for tonight.

1. Create a Flickr account, if you don't have one.

2. Upload a photo into your Flickr gallery.

3. Post that photo into this thread. :)

I hope this helps. :)

6. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I'm ready to load photos but will NOT do so until I find out how NOT to put my personal name/info on the pic and in links for the photo ("Photo Name uploaded by".....links to account etc.... What am I missing on the flickr account setup to keep that stuff from showing up?

I'm getting the photos showing on the "preview" but wayyyyy too much info is showing that i don't want showing.

I will also add that while this is fine for desktop/laptop, not good for live TR with smartphone only (why I'm doing this specific exercise). The "direct fire" method is infinitely easier for "The Live", which means people will actually get to see it "Live".

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy. Just edit the bbcode to remove or change anything you do not want. If you want to do a very brutal edit, just leave only the direct link to the raw image, something like this:

[​IMG]

This leaves only the "gobbledygook" that's between the "img" tags. Note that I had to make an image of that and post it, because if I wrote it out, the board would think it was an image. :) :) :)

8. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK. I thought maybe there was a way within flickr to address, was actually playing with the code display stuff to manipulate as we type....but should be helpful.

9. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a LOT of manipulation for a live TR scenario. In comparing the images posting between the two methods (flickr at 800 wide by 360ish on the MSG end view photo) vs what appears to be folded 2000ish by 1600 on the direct upload from phone into 800 by 800 to the forum it seems to prove out Sonya's info. In studying a number of live TRs it seems this is happening on the direct post by a number of people (either that or their cams are taking the photo at optimal resolution for forum maximums). At any rate, so long as the forum is knocking down the larger sized pics to 800 by 800ish standards, I'm good to go on the TR. One good point is that the phone does have a high efficiency setting that knocks down the pic to about 25% of raw data size so set in that spot will help too.

It's a good exercise which is bearing some fruit and POV differences too.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're concerned about someone pawing through your Flickr photos, you can mark photos as private and they will still (or so they tell me, I've never done it myself) show up in a direct link. I don't use Flickr as a public gallery, and there's a lot of junk in there that wouldn't interest anybody (outside of a small circle of friends) so I keep it open to anyone who stumbles upon it. :)

I do admit that the "share" button is a bit clumsy, but it's easy for those who are not used to posting pictures in online fora to use. I and some others who do posts with several photos will compose them on something like notepad++ and include the appropriate bbcode into that. Then it's a cut-paste of the whole thing into a post.

12. Audible Nectar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I've done the "imgur" thing too with web forum images (haven't used in a while, though) and it worked fine, but what is different here was the "Live" aspect of what I'm trying to accomplish. I didn't even think a week ago that "live" was in the cards at all, but when I posted those two prior posts from my phone that easily it becomes a possible thing. I'm a lot more likely to follow through with the ease of direct posting, and have it truly be "Live". I think I can offer a TR that will differ much from many here, and show a different approach to Vegas that many might find interesting.

Another project on the trip is doing room vids the way they should be done and posting those to YouTube. I like to complain about some of these videographers, so it's time to put my new phone's camera where my cybermouth is and help the cause.

I've benefitted here from all of this info and hope to chip in my share in return for that info gained. "Pay It Forward." It's just that I'm a bit (no, a little more than....) clumsy with certain aspects of web use (and a horrible typist) but try to give back to the extent that I take, because it IS a "community" after all. But if I had to do phone based flickr sourced webposting of photos for a live TA I might end up throwing the phone in the Bellagio fountain. And that's NOT why I go:D

I'm normally NOT shy about attaching an opinion to my own name (and have done it in person in some pretty stout forms more than can count) but in a world where a person's opinions on some borderline legal topics (like the Canadian border cannabis issues discussed here on VMB) give cause to NOT attach a name directly to some specifics that happen here. I want to at least make the "lookie-loos" connect some dots. I've had a "fed" show up at my door from my pic appearing on somebody else's Facebook wall (in which that pic has time and coordinates baked into that photos code) and it was simply through that pic that proof of an association was made. You can go from "I hung out at a fest with these people" to "criminal conspirator" really fast if not careful. I have NEVER had a Facebook or MySpace page and never will.

13. RushAndRoulette

RushAndRoulette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Testing pic for size. 175E551D-2AE0-48D0-8D9D-B07D99983BEA.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. RushAndRoulette

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Testing thumbnail pic 47485A88-CDF0-45E4-A24A-0CE98C8A4187.jpeg

15. RushAndRoulette

Trips to Las Vegas: