1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

iPhone 6s Question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 6S and just put in a new battery-paid $49. Works like new. I was going to get an iPhone 11, but they don’t have a 5G capable chip, so I decided it was worth it to get a new battery and hang on until next September for the whiz bang 5G capable model. I keep my phone several years and knew that if I got the 11 I’d still want the new one next year, so I passed on the 11.

The new 11 is a much more capable device than my old 6S, but I am not a power phone user and the old 6S dodders along just fine for me. Next year, it’s a certainty I’ll get the new model.

Mrs Johnny has the new 11 Pro. I like the face recognition to open and speed, but I’m otherwise unimpressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #TeamiPhoneX :goofy:

Temptation Sunday
    Shania
  3. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I replaced my battery in my 6s plus at home in less than 20 minutes. For $18 it is as good as new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I just looked at the video and doing that with my shaky hands is impossible. I can't even put a screwdriver to a regular screw.

You sir, are a genius!

• Like Like x 1
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. But all carriers offer carrots to get you to switch and bring your line/number to them. I move our lines to TM and got almost free phones. And NOT those deal with a free phone, but you pay for 24 or 30 months. Two phones with $700 rebate and one with $640.

And they have a good military plan.

Trade in on 6 or 6s is just about gone. Those phones are... well... older than us.

6. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My iPhone did the most recent update and that's what caused the battery life issue, after some Googling this is common.

As others have said, your phone will not explode into flames just because it's outdated. If you enjoy it, keep using it! Replacement batteries (if you buy one online and take it to a kiosk at a mall, they can install it for you!), backup battery packs, etc are all viable solutions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The latest software update, in and of itself, doesn’t cause battery drain. In fact, most software updates improve overall efficiency and battery performance. There could be some settings that changed or apps that have changed that are causing battery life degradation. Depending on your iOS version you can find battery health, recommending settings, and app draining culprits all under settings.

Battery health is a combination of the chemical health of your battery and how you use the phone. The first is pretty straightforward. It literally measures how many battery cells are chemically active compared to 100% (a brand new battery). Once an iPhone is below 80% chemical health it may be recommended to replace it. The second, usage, is much more complex. No two people use their personal devices exactly the same. Some leave their screen on, some have settings so their mail checks for new mail every second, some people always use maximum screen brightness, many people use apps that track locations, and many apps may not be optimized or updated. A ton of people swipe and close background apps on their iPhone despite this having a negative impact on their battery life. It is literally doing the opposite of that they think.

I never advised the phone would catch fire. Although since you bring it up, swelling batteries are much more common in older devices and can cause further damage. I simply recommended not investing money into an outdated device. Technology ages like dogs; a year for a human is several years for cutting edge tech.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Informative video, but I also could not perform the tasks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I admire the diy skills, economy and industry of those who change the battery themselves. I think I could do it, but I just didn’t want to screw with it. $49 at the Apple store, went and got Chick fil A sandwich, came back and picked it up and it worked like new. I am at the age where I have enough money to avoid most stuff I don’t want to do. Thanks, Apple store.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told $89 and would be a 1-2 hour wait on top of a 2 hour round trip. If I was close to an Apple store and it was $49 I would have went this route as well.

11. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is very wrong-someone is cheating you. Apple’s website quotes $49 for older iPhones, and $69 for the newer models.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

just saying.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to Best Buy and the Verizon store and it’s No Can Do.

I’ll have to go to the nearest Apple store in Annapolis, which is about 60 miles each way.

Or I could wait until I’m in Philly for Christmas and do it then.

13. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be sure to make an appointment ahead of time. The Apple Store here gets a lot of traffic and walk-ins usually have a long wait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just look for phone repair places and call them for a quote any cell phone repair place can do it.

CET 5x Promotion at PH
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no such thing in Southern Maryland.

17. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind this was before "battery gate" with Apple. It was $89. They have dropped there prices after the class action lawsuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.