1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I now understand why y’all say gold status is meaningless

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Vegasmiragegirl, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegasmiragegirl

Vegasmiragegirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend and I each booked a room back in September at Bellagio for this coming April. She’s pearl status and I’m gold. Our rate was basically the same for 3 nights, if I didn’t have to pay resort fees. Otherwise my room was $160 more (at the time I figured I wouldn’t pay them.)
    Fast forward to now, I just realized on February 1 my points drop to 0 until my next trip, making me pearl. I’ll have to pay resort fees, so now my room is $160 more than hers. She’s only had a players card a couple of trips and plays much less than me. I’m a low roller, but I go multiple times per year, and I did managed gold for the last few years. This just seems so wrong on MGM’s part. Anyway, just feeling kinda screwed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDBurgerBoss

SDBurgerBoss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you earn Gold in 22? The points reset to zero on Jan 1st, but you keep the status you earned in 22 for 23. If you earned gold in 22 you will be gold in 23.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your Tier Credits drop to zero on January 1. Your tier status resets on Feb 1.

If you reached Gold by earning 75,000 TCs during 2022, your Gold status is good through Jan 31, 2024 and you won;t pay any resort fees in April. If you earned it in a prior year and didn't reach it again in 2022, then yes, your tier status will drop on Feb 1 and you'll have to pay the fees.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vegasmiragegirl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the details. I was gold in 22, but only reached 20K TCs last year. I just can’t figure out how she had such a better offer. It’s my fault for not realizing when we booked that I’d have to pay those resort fees this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would only be the case if you didn’t achieve/maintain Gold status in 2022 (75,000 +TC’s). If you earned Gold in 2022, you will enjoy those benefits for 2023. Only the TC points reset to zero annually,

Also don’t forget to claim your $100 Tier Status Dining Credit when you visit.

6. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just now read your latest post, sorry. It does seem strange that your offer isn't at least the same as your friends especially since her play level is much lower than yours..

If your dates are flexible in April, you might want to recheck your offer for different dates with lower rates. Or call and ask if they can find you a better rate, sometimes the rep can see more than what is in the offer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BJG80

BJG80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems a little unfair to say gold is meaningless when waived resort fees can be meaningful.
    But I can understand the frustration.
    Gotta remember that more TCs don't necessarily mean better rate/comp offers - I have to remind myself that too most of the time!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. EzE

EzE VUP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Offers are based on how much you play per day and/or trip. So its the average of your play per day and/or trip. Is is possible by less you mean she goes less often? She may only have 5 days to your 20 days but her average play for those 5 days is higher than yours for the 20.

If Player A plays $5000 coin in in 1 day and Player B plays $1000 coin a day for 5 days for $5000 coin in total then Player A will likely get a much better offer and room rates/availability.

General understanding is also that MGM used trip total play for some part of their offers. So if 1 person takes a 5 day trip and plays $1000 coin in a day, but the other takes a 2 day and a 3 day trip later and plays $1000 coin in a day then the person with the longer 5 day trip will get better offers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have any rewards points in your account?

If yes, at least use those to offset food costs. If you don't use the slot dollars for freeplay, convert them to more Rewards Points

I don't recall whether Rewards Points can be applied to resort fees.
    ===============
    As to your titling of this thread
    You're not wrong. The Rewards Programs tiers are worth less & less. Of course we still value them.... And smart players want to maximize everything they can get in return for their gaming spend.

And it's a valuable reminder that program tier & benefits often don't correlate with offers.

Consider an (unlikely scenario) extreme question
    Would I rather have great offers for rooms, resort credit, etc, and no fancy plastic card and associated perks? Or
    I'd rather have the card and the perks, and no offers beyond some minor room rate discounts.

Certainly not a realistic question, but consideration can help in prioritizing reactions.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another example showing ADT is more important than tier.

Guessing her ADT is better than yours - even though you may have spent more money overall.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ritzcarlton89

ritzcarlton89 Low-Roller

Do they still have Hyatt match? Match to Hyatt than rematch to mgm after tier reset and keep gold no resort fees

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ritzcarlton89 is right. If you haven't already, use your MGM Gold status to match to Hyatt Explorist. You can do this here. Their status year ends on 2/28 while MGM ends on 2/1. After your status expires on 2/1, go to Hyatt and request a match from Hyatt Explorist to MGM Gold. You should be all set for another year. There's a chance they could close this loophole at some point but we haven't seen any indication of it yet.

EDC
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good info Fugs.
    Could you or someone expand on this?

I am Gold with MGM (Like Op) and didn't Earn enough for Gold last year by gambling.
    I did the match to Mgm last year thru Hyatt Explorist....

WHEN exactly do you do the Match to Mgm Gold for This year?
    Do we renew Hyatt now, first?
    Thats the TIMING, confusing part to me....
    Also,Do we do the match for MGM now or After we drop to Pearl?
    Thanks

(agree with Op, seems wrong your friend getting comparable or better offers to yours,
    unless your friend is a much better player.)

• Like Like x 1
  14. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @CalifLovesVegas Assuming you are currently both Gold and Explorist (and not going to requalify for either status organically) you'd request the Gold match after February 1 when your current Gold status expires, but before 2/28 when your current Explorist status expires. That's my understanding, anyway.

EDC
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vegasmiragegirl

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were to match my MGM Gold status to Hyatt, is their status year expiration of 2/28 for everyone? I am currently MGM Gold through July and wanted to take advantage of this.

17. PrestigePoker

PrestigePoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This should be stickied, I am amazed how many people are unaware of this easy lifetime match once you achieve either Explorist at Hyatt or MGM Gold: https://frequentmiler.com/match-hyatt-status-to-mgm-mlife-before-year-end/

I have never gambled enough to achieve Gold, even in the previous system. But I stay at a bunch of Hyatt's each year for work and always get at least Explorist. I have been Gold for years at MGM now. Also, my wife who never gambles, linked her MGM card to mine and she gets Gold too. Came in handy for $200 of credits at Hard Rock for the Unity match.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Fugsworth. I just checked my Hyatt Exporist and it says good thru Feb. 2024. Didn't realize that!
    So it sounds like renew to Mgm gold after Feb. 1.

But looks like Prestigepoker says renew immed so gets Gold right away?
    But he earned his Hyatt level by staying there. Last year I have zero stays at Hyatt.

19. PrestigePoker

PrestigePoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have Hyatt through 2024 then you can just wait til Feb to match your Hyatt to Gold as you mentioned. Everyone will have different timelines based on which status they achieve organically first.

20. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I matched my MGM to Hyatt before Xmas, as I'm ~10k short of renewing Gold this year and it will lapse next month.

It says I'm Explorist through Feb 2024, so going to match my MGM sometime in March, and then I can rematch to Explorist before it expires in 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.