1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help - Talk me out of using Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me - If I'm flying low-cost, I ONLY fly non-stop flights.
    I actually prefer Frontier over Spirit.
    #1 re-designed thin seats and 1" wider middle seat
    #2 red-eye return times
    #3 I'd rather fly through MKE than ORD
    #4 cost - stupid low prices

I'd choose Southwest if you don't want to worry about luggage
    Otherwise pay for a carry-on rather than a checked bag.....the checked luggage lines are ridiculously long.

Spirit legroom and seat is good if you can get the "big front seat" but you will have to stow personal items in the overhead bins.

The last time I flew Delta the "noise" level was really loud in the rear of the plane.
    Southwest is my #1 choice from my fave departing city
    Delta is my #5 choice of airlines from my fave departing city.

Allegiant is my "never again in my lifetime" choice of airline.

2. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've never flown Spirit. Southwest has been our primary domestic airline for the past three or four years. We fly them because they're generally our cheapest "big name" option. Southwest schedules their flights very tightly between arrival and departure, and with their hub and spoke system planes often get off schedule. I'd say we've had more late departures than on-time ones out of probably 50 or more flights. We've also had disruptions on occasion, and they will do no more for you than any other airline when there's a problem. They may advertise that they are the "luv" airline, but they are as tough as anyone else we've flown.

As an example, last year we were connecting through Las Vegas on our way home to Seattle. The plane we were to connect with was supposed to arrive in Las Vegas at 5:30 pm. When we got to that gate we found it was expected at 8:00 pm. Turns out the plane started in Atlanta and zigzagged across the country changing flight numbers, with the Las Vegas to Seattle leg being its final flight of the day. There had been weather on the east coast a few legs ago, which created the cascading delay.

I asked Southwest what they'd do, like a meal voucher or something, and they said nothing, because the problem was weather. OK, same plane, but a totally different flight number and route, three legs earlier. But they insisted that they could still call it weather even though it had no applicability to our flight. I told my wife that the flight would never take off because they'd never be able to find a crew with the hours remaining. So we got Southwest to put us on a flight the next day (they at least did that without charging us more) and got a hotel for the night at our own expense (I won $500 that night, so that part was great!). We got a text from Southwest at 3:20 am saying the flight was cancelled. I felt really sorry for the people we'd talked to at the gate saying they had to be home for work the next day. I imagine they hung around until the bitter end. I've got no idea if Southwest put them up for the night at that point, but unless they'd changed their "weather" stance the answer would be no.

3. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny to me when people complain about the low cost carriers but cost is the most important part of the booking process. You get what you pay for. The nickle and diming is what allows the low cost carriers to fly for such a low price. If you want the perks and advantages of a legacy carrier, fly a legacy carrier. You know what you are in for when you fly Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier etc. If price is the determining factor for you then by all means fly Spirit.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe Allegiant is being investigated for poor maintenance, not Spirit or Frontier. But I know that the FAA proposed $12 million fines against Southwest for maintenance issues in 2014. USA Today claims this was settled for $2.8 million.

That is Spirit's business model. You want to check a piece of luggage, you pay for it. Want a soft drink? Glass of water? Have a gate agen print out a boarding pass? Ditto. They operate a relatively young fleet and are very profitable.

It might say American, United, Delta on the outside, but in small print its Chautauqua, Endeavor, Piedmont, Mesa where the pilots pay their dues for low wages in hopes of being hired by the big guys.

5. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit 5 times in the last 3 years. All trips were PHL to LAS. Every trip was smooth except the last one with a 3 hour delay. But we did get there and Spirit gave everyone a $50 voucher for a future flight. I can't speak for the standard seating as I always pay extra for the big front seat. Even with paying for checked bags and the big front seat it's still cheaper then the legacy carriers.

6. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Spirit does inform you on their website of all the extra charges and how to avoid them. Like printing your boarding passes at home. I do understand though that Spirit isn't for everyone but I do like the big front seat option. You do need to book at least a few months in advance to insure you snag it.

7. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got that $50 voucher before for a 3 hour delay..Would be nicer if it was valid for a full year instead of 90 days that you have to plan/purchase a future trip.No way in my case.
    I bet 75% of them never get used..
    To the OP- You're gonna need the upfront seating.Or exit row.I'm only 5 9" and it's tight in the regular seats.I pay for the exit row now.One flight a year to AC

8. dcrawf

dcrawf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's horrendous to charge for carry on bags. Allow 1 for free (plus personal item) and just build it into the pricing

9. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why? We fit more than what we needed into the personal bag. I've only used carry-on on other airlines because it was there. I checked bags in SW because it was free. Definitely not worth paying more for if I don't have to. I tend to travel very light, especially to Vegas.

10. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm okay with airlines charging for carry-ons.
    As long as they make it cheaper to check bags it will free up the aisles and get people off the plane faster.
    The Personal size item is big enough for me for 5 nights....7 is a bit of a stretch.

11. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly, you can't pay for a Honda and expect a Lexus. The only times I have ever flown them was simply convenience (they had the only direct flight where I was going to/from) and it was a short flight so it wasn't too bad. I didn't find the cost to be all that inexpensive. BUT, it was always for a golf trip so there were golf clubs to check along with other luggage. Plus I am a little over 6' so I paid whatever I needed to so I wasn't stuck in a small middle seat.

12. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can read you shouldn't be pissed about any added items from Spirit. They lay them all out in black and yellow on their website

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, exactly what I am trying to say. I would NEVER consider the outbound TO Vegas on anything other than a major airline. The trip back (which I have to pay for, and can't use points) can be anything.
    Truth is, I found a United flight for $8 less, but it connects in Houston. I might go with that option.

July 19th - July 24th
  14. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are absolutely right about Southwest's tight schedule.
    That's one of the main reasons I don't like it. The other one being no reserved seat.

15. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would use Google Flights tracker and get e-mail notifications. I almost booked the return flight back to Chicago for $150, but decided to gamble and wait. Only four weeks ago (I leave tomorrow), I was able to score the return flight for $56!!!

As for Spirit...... Well, no comment. All I can say is, just wait it out and keep checking using Skiplagged app on your phone AND Google Flights. I checked every time I went to the bathroom, whenever I had a spare moment, etc. I even found American for $72 *after* I booked Frontier. By then, it was too late, obviously, but still something to try.

I'd wait.

16. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not like its some 3rd world country airlines that you are flying. They fall under the same rigerous rules as more expensive ones. They have to perform the same mandated inspections as everyone else does.

keep in mind that this industry is regulated to a mind numbing level. I worked in aviation for 20 years and there is just no way around these required inspections.

sure, you might get a lousy seat or less leg room but you are getting what you paid for. If you want all the legroon in the world and need to be pamepred the whole tripw, fly first class and pay for it. if you are ok just sitting there and taking a nap and waking at your destinatin then spirit is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jean11111

jean11111 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown spirit. It's not that bad. Check frontier too. Not sure where your flying from but i saw some $20 one way flights from the east coast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.