1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

flying

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Lhammer28, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't mind flying until I went on a flight with some turbulence (flew through a snow storm over Colorado, although we didn't go through the middle of it, so it probably wasn't that major) on a connecting flight to New York.

I had some real troubles afterwards. The one thing that helped me was a thread on a poker forum created by a Delta pilot. The sheer magnitude of knowledge the pilots have, and the years of experience, made me comfortable enough to fly again.

twoplustwo - Ask me about being an airline pilot or flying in general

It has like 5300 posts in it, so a little light reading. :evillaugh

He explains a lot on current aviation events too, like what is learned from recent crashes and what parts of media coverage are right/wrong.

2. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm another person who dislikes flying, but will tolerate it as otherwise I'd not get to travel to interesting places.

On longer flights (which are normally on 2-aisle planes) I prefer sitting in the middle section as then it is easier to pretend you are not on an aeroplane.

The best bit of advice I ever got was that turbulence is the equivalent of a boat going through waves, so a bit of movement is natural and not a problem.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the air that is!

A few years ago one of their planes over-ran a runway end at MDW and there was a non-passenger fatality. :(

I fly semi-frequently, both for business and pleasure. I realize that statistically it's safer than driving, but when I'm up there at so many thousand feet I sometimes think of stuff like every part of that plane being made by the lowest bidder, and pencil-whipped inspections and such and I can't wait to be on terra firma again! :(

I also realize that landing is the point at which injuries often occur, so I've gotten in the habit of facing forward, feet on the floor, and a good grip just in case.

4. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had a problem flying, taking off sometimes makes me sweat a bit...anyway, watch Mayday (or Air Crash Investigation in the UK) on Nat Geo - it makes me feel safer know what planes have gone through before crashing. If you do crash, you ain't going to feel anything.

5. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Along this line, playing with a flight simulator on the computer is a fun way discover how planes operate.

Planes want to be in the air. You get them going a certain speed and you can't keep them on the ground.

Turbulence used to bother me a bit until I realized it is a reminder of just how solid air can be. You aren't just hanging in the sky unsupported.

7. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally love this! :nworthy:

8. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The next time you are driving somewhere, look around at how many people are texting and driving or just talking on the phone and driving. If that doesn't make you feel safer being in the air, I don't know what will. There are only two ways to get to Vegas for most people....flying or driving. Flying is so much safer.....the trip to the airport with all the texters and phone talkers is the scary part! :eek:

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also terrified flying to Vegas (4 hour flight for me).

But I'm not afraid of crashing. I'm scared that a 300lb fatso will be seated next to me.

10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yeah once you're cruising a plane is very stable. Here's a good chart of accidents and fatalities by the phases of a flight:

[​IMG]

http://planecrashinfo.com/images/phase%20flight.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not afraid of flying, but I also can't sleep on a flight. I bought a cheapo DVD player and load a few movies onto a flashdrive so I don't have to carry the dvds. A lot lighter than my laptop and I don't have to take it out of the bag for TSA.

Granted, it doesn't do any good for takeoffs and landings, but it sure makes the flight seem quicker and more enjoyable. I'm also 3.5 hours away.

12. dannyg1001

dannyg1001 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to be exactly the same but I 'cured' myself years ago. I watched some documentarys about airlines and there were some stewardesses who had been working for years and years.... flying almost every day, sometimes multiple times... and they werent bothered. I realised i was just being silly. im fine now, which is good because through work im always on a plane to somewhere!!!!

13. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, thank you guys for the advice.. I think I just start to panic a month out and then at this point I refill my Xanax because I am having panic attacks just thinking about flying. I did a search and found a couple websites after reading the responses and it does help to know every step of the flight. I think, for me, what started this fear was TWA Flight 800; I was 11 or 12 when that happened and I remember it sticking in my head, convincing me that was going to happen to me. What makes this trip worst than others is the fact that there have been so many incidents since March when I booked this trip AND out of nowhere AC360 did a special last month on TWA Flight 800! I feel like these are all signs for me.
    I don't know, I just need to drink a few Margaritas at Chilis to go take a pill and say a prayer!

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There always seems to be a few incidents in the month or so before my summer trips, but that doesn't bother me, I figure it's good to get them out of the way, like a buncha seven-outs right before I buy in.

Besides, even if you go down, it won't last that long and you won't remember it anyway, so whaddaya gonna do? :beer:

15. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seriously think if I was as afraid of flying as some of you then I'd pick a different form of vacation. I don't see how you can enjoy something that begins and ends with something that terifies you so much. I think I'd invest in an RV and take to road trips.

I guess that's just a testament to how much you love Vegas!

16. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're dwelling on it too much :) I know how you feel as I have been there with other things. My advice would be to book flights a couple of days before you want to go rather than months in advance.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know how things work in the UK, but not really practical here unless you want to pay top dollar, or pound.:wink2:

18. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You pay more, but I'd pay more for something that gave me a more pleasurable experience.

19. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to feel the same...maybe not quite as freaked but pretty close. That was over 30 yrs ago and now I'm pretty laid back on a flight. I think one important thing to do is make yourself familiar w/ different noises and what they are so you know when the landing gear is going up or down or when they slow the plane down once they're cruising that these are all normal things to happen on a plane.

They really are pretty safe and they can fly a jet on one engine if the need to.

You can get over it if you don't over think it.....now days if it's more than a 3 hours drive, I'm looking for a plane ticket!

My Mom used to be freaked about flying too but she did it and my Dad would always tell her; "Joan, if it's your time to go, it's your time to go". And she replied.."what if it's the pilot's time and not mine?":wave:

I just always hope if it is going to go down, please do it on the way home from Vegas, not on the way there! In fact I've used that rationale to raid the ATM....LOL

20. AlwaysVegas

AlwaysVegas Now it's mostly Reno.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother had a fairly large fear of flying, so I told her that when she felt like something was wrong to watch the stewards and stewardesses. If they weren't panicked, then you had to reason to be.

Surprisingly, she said it helped tremendously. That and a Xanax before the flight, but meh...I still feel like I helped her out.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.