1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Early Bird check in for SWA.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Mirageluvr, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, not to be "wasting" money, but I DON'T buy Earlybird anymore. I attempt to be online 24 hours before my flight to get something in the "A" group or early "B". If not, I "buy" my way into A1-A15. So far this year, I am "ahead" about $150 by not buying EB on 8 RT flights, and having to "buy" A1-A15 once.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never bought early boarding before and always get online exactly 24 hours before to check in. I'm always in mid to late B now. I used to be able to get into A group by simply logging on exactly at 24 hours but it's been several years since I've seen an A boarding pass.

3. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this also & have mostly the same results as you, mid to late B's. If it starts getting farther down I'll probably start buying EB

First time Plaza stay
  4. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume this is why it's getting worse. As people get pushed further and further down, more people are willing to pay the extra money. As more people pay it seems like at some point it just becomes ridiculous. You pay the EB fee just to find yourself with a B52 or whatever, I'd be annoyed. I'm cheap. I'll look for any reason not pay the fee but when I travel with my family it's a stressful situation boarding a Southwest flight.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do it for longer flights. For a quick up-down I can put up with a crummy seat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't remember the cost of upgrading at the airport. help me out.

Flying out of Hartford to LAS ns on oct 26th. for $379 rt
    If I don't do the EB and decide to
    take the upgrade at the airport, what's the usual charge?

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just always do it. On our August flight my wife got A20 and I got A50. Coming back, it got worse. She got A30 and I got a high B. When we got back, i called and complained to SW. They couldn't explain why it happened, but they did refund the $60.

On our trip last week we got A30 &31 using EB, but coming home is was A49 & 50, using EB.

Milwaukee to Vegas non-stops are almost always completely filled, both ways. Coming home Tuesday there was a window and middle open in row 8. A woman has her stuff on the middle seat. We want those seats. Oh, that's my husband and he is in the bathroom. I just say oh bullshit and move on. I hate those cheap people.:thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe it is $40.

9. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks....think i will gamble and not buy the eb and decide at the airport if it's available.
    if not, it's the Con Air seats next to the loo.

10. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two years ago we flew SW, and I forgot (drinking and having a great time impacts my memory) to be online 24 hours in advance for the flight back from Vegas......nothing worse than flying in the middle seat on a redeye flight back home. After that situation, I decided the extra few bucks (10 minutes of losing on the slots) is worth it. Just to add, our flight is from BWI/Baltimore to LAS. We both like to have bloody mary's on the way to Vegas, and whatever on the way back (drown our sorrows). I noticed on this site that I can buy SW drink coupons in bulk for almost half off....well the savings will offset the cost off the early bird premiums...Right? :drunk:Drink up, boys and girls.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you, Joe....100%.

12. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since we usually have a companion pass, I usually book the primary ticket and buy early bird, then book the companion without the early bird. This year I have the pass and my husband is the companion. I don't buy it for the companion because if there is a price change you need to cancel the companion prior to changing the main ticket. Cancelling the companion loses their early bird fee. Usually we do as above and check in for the companion at 24 hours and if too high a position, then buy the $40 A1-A15.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not quite accurate. We have Companion status. You can't change to the new price on-line, but you can call in and make changes without losing EB for either passenger.

• Like Like x 2
  14. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time point out that her husband is a dumbass and when he exits the bathroom you will show him how to lock the door so the red "X" goes over the lavatory image. People are so simple these days.

OR sit down in the seats and say you will get up and give him his seat when he exits the bathroom. And if he does then "oops!!"

• Like Like x 1
  15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. You can't do politics here but you can have THIS!! What has happened while I excused myself?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Indeed. I actually did this once when I had something like A54. There were a couple families with rather energetic and loud kids in the waiting area. Decided I didn't want to risk being right near them.

So I waited through the As and stood right at the front of the B1-30 when it came time and caught the hairy eyeball from the guy holding B1. Held my boarding pass in such a way that he could easily see it. He glared at me, but didn't say anything.

• Like Like x 1
  17. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy EB often enough and this will indeed happen. As it did to me, many years ago. (Can't remember exactly but it was B44 or thereabouts.)

That was the last time I ever bought EB.

18. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "..Con Air seats.." Great reference from a train-wreck of a movie (even though I've watched it several times)

19. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I think it's $40. I've thought about doing it from BOS, but I don't use the overhead storage, so it's a question of being able to get a seat near the front and I've never really had much of a problem just using EB for that. The thing about paying extra for the A1 - A15 position is, coming from the east coast, you're usually going to be connecting somewhere, and if that connecting flight is a continuation from somewhere else, then there's already going to be people on the plane.

Using EB, I'm almost always in the A-20s and there's usually only 6 - 8 people in front of me, including A1 - A15s. I book pretty far in advance though.

20. winny405

winny405 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not so much about the Early Bird check in but being an international traveller I almost always fly Southwest to save paying for checked baggage. My wife & I usually have 2 bags each at some point during our trips & save at least $100 flying Southwest. More than happy to pay the Early Bird fee when saving on checked baggage.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.