1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you see movies in the theater these days??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by in4mation808, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen a movie in ages at the theater. Went last night and found the admission to be $17.50 EACH for the wife and I. Amazing! I remember as a young'n that movies were $5. I cannot imagine the teens of today forking up that kind of money taking out their significant other out on a date. If you add that with dinner, say, at McDonald's, you'd be spending $45-$50 on that date! :whistle:

These days, I must really, really, really want to see the movie to pay money. How about you folks?

2. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes but it is a struggle at 59.
    Too many super hero movies for my taste.
    The last movie I saw was Once Upon A Time In Hollywood in fake IMAX.
    What is fake IMAX?
    That is where the picture is enlarged on a so called IMAX screen in a cinema
    I have AAA passes that are good anytime.
    But for a 3D film or a fake IMAX you need to pay extra.
    5 dollars more
    And I wait a few weekends until I go see a movie I want to see

3. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love going to the movies! I like to go solo. I have an AMC membership which gives discounts, and when they were a going thing, I had MoviePass, which I loved.

My work day is flexible, so I go during the day when the kids are in school and see the first showing. Sometimes I get the whole theatre to myself.

Hate 3D and IMAX.

• Like Like x 1
  4. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rarely.

I used to go once a week.
    Then it turned into just Tuesdays for $5 movies.
    Now even on discount days I rarely go.
    I've seen ONE movie in the theater this year.

5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a big screen 4K HDTV at home, so I rarely go the movie theaters anymore. I usually wait for them to come out on cable and sometimes I buy the good ones on Blu-Ray DVD and watch them in the comfort of my living room. The last time I actually went to a theater was several years ago when I was in Vegas. The machines weren't being nice to me, so I went to the Brenden Theaters at the Palm with a friend and we saw a Harry Potter movie in IMAX. LOL

• Love Love x 1
  6. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. Too many people. Too much seat
    -kicking. $40+ bucks (tickets plus drink plus popcorn) for us in a theater where we like the seating. During the CRT Era of TV's where 27" was big? Sure, I'd hit the movies. Now? I'd rather watch it at home on a big screen, with no seat kicking!

Plus, prices are too much now at a movie. If you could go for $20 for two with popcorn and drinks? Sure. But the theater we like, you're looking $40-$50. Not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do enjoy a good movie but not a fan of huge crowds/kids during the first week or 2 of a new release. Then the prices are insane on top of it.
    Was meaning to watch a movie in Vegas but never get around to it. I would imagine an evening showing would be lot of rowdy drunk kids ruining it for me though.
    So it usually comes down to family gatherings 2-3 times per year is when i'll finally go to the theatre to watch something.

8. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not been to a movie theater since 1986. Today I do not want to be in a dark theater. I watch my movies in the safety of my home.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on the movie. If it looks really good, I'll go. Nice thing about working weekend graveyard shift is I can go during the week during the day. A lot less people, I usually get the run of the place.
    But, I've got a nice sized 4k TV at home. So, all I'm missing is the sticky floor.

10. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Too expensive and most films produced today are garbage.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    think the last time was for oceans 11(the not so hot remake)

12. Guardian

Guardian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually can't remember the last time I went. Must be years ago.

13. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watched Avengers End Game Friday night at home. It's was freakin 3 hours long. I can't site in a movie theatre for that long no matter how comfy the seats are these days.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It used to be most Tuesdays for senior pricing. But now, we can't find anything we want to see. So probably 6 months since we have gone.
    EDIT: I forgot I have a list. The last one we saw was in March. Jordan Peele horror movie: Us.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  15. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprisingly, I went to see a movie last night... while I rarely see movies in theatres as a matter of course, I really wanted to try out the 4DX format, which has moving seats, and stimulating environmental features like scents, liquid sprays, and fog. The particular movie I saw was Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw, which I thought was a good match for 4DX.

Movies up here haven’t gotten terribly expensive, you can usually get in for $13 or so on regular days, and $9 or so on Tuesdays.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  16. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go once a year on average just because most of the movies don't appeal to me. I went a few weeks ago to see "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and I enjoyed it but I like Tarantino films. 5 bucks before 6 PM at the nearby theater and the smallest popcorn was more than the ticket @ $5.75. I just don't like so much CGI in films, no acting, just phony imagery. Bah.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ken D

Ken D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only go when it is a movie that I think will deserve the large screen experience, like a Star Wars film. I just don't go till after it has been open for some time, to try and get a less crowded theater. Being able to reserve the seat, and the leather recliners they have now, are nice.

I do agree, it would suck to be a teenager/college kid now and trying to go to the movies. Cinemark just closed the "dollar" theater near me, which was actually a decent place, and are replacing it with a luxury one.

18. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to keep a list of the movies I'd go to. One year I saw 100+ movies in the theater.
    But I can't tell you the last time I was inside a movie theater. It's been maybe 10-15 years?
    I think prices were around $7 last time I went and too many people talking and looking
    at their cellphone screens to suite me.

19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our Christmas Day activity used to consist of going to the movies. By that I mean seeing three movies in one day.
    The last time we saw a movie in the theater was Black Swan back in 2010.

My friend and I saw The Dead Don't Die in the theater, recently, because Jim Jarmusch films are few and far between. I hadn't been to the theater in so long, I was completely unaware that we now pick our seat (with no price differentiation). :eek:

Bottom Line: streaming and home theater have removed the need to attend the cinema as well as the need to go to the stadium. Congratulations. Both
    have been replaced by technology.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  20. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still go, not that often because they just dont make a lot of real movies anymore, I saw Once upon a time in Hollywood a couple weeks ago(it was good).

At least where I am movies are still $5-6 on Tuesday, and I get a free popcorn to boot for being in their member club. So I prob see 6 movies a year in the theater, I rent far more, but it's just not the same no matter how big your home TV setup is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.