1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Boyd downtown buffets breakfast

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Nevyn, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plotting out my January trip, and I may be bus - ing downtown for a coupon run on a Monday, and that could include a 50% off breakfast buffet.

I have done the MSS one before and it is certainly the one I hear mentioned the most often. Just curious as to how the fare at the Cal and Fremont compare for their buffets for breakfast.

If it's all the same, doing the Fremont one would make the most sense time wise. But if MSS is just a cut above (regular weekday, not weekend brunch), I can work around it.

Anyone want to weigh in?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cal buffet is tiny. Nothing made to order.
    Fremont has made to order pancakes & omelettes and is larger then Cal.
    I would say MSS garden buffet, which also has the made to order omelets, is the best & largest of the three, but I don't think you'd be disappointed at Fremont. No pancakes though if that's your thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love the thick, fluffy made to order pancakes at the Fremont. They also have flavored coffees.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never understood why not have an active grill to order — pancakes or French toast at MSS. There is space and there are both but cooked and placed in the warming trays. It only takes one employee or two if a break is necessary. NOTHING like fresh grilled breakfast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried the Fremont buffet and was unimpressed; I found it to be small, dark and understaffed. My breakfast buffet requirements are simple: one plate, biscuits and gravy, potatoes, bacon and eggs over easy or an omelette. MSS has always come through for me. My last time at Fremont the omelette station guy was overwhelmed by the task of producing eggs and pancakes. I would reconsider Fremont if it was comped, otherwise I’d pick MSS.

6. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the huge curved booths at Fremont. Old Vegas feel. MSS feels more open and not as dark. Food is good at either one in my opinion. Joe, I didn't know The Cal had a buffet.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Jimbucc It's a tiny thing along the wall just past the counter. Breakfast only and included in all the Hawaiian fun books.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. blue808

blue808 Lahaina Strong.!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last Thursday we got to the Garden Court Buffet around 10:25am. The cashier saw the players card in my wife's hand and said, "We don't give discounts to rubies..." to which I said.. "You mean rubes don't you..?" The sweet lady glared at me then said that they were closing at 10:30 to transistion to lunch, and that they would be clearing out the restaurant.. that everyone would be asked to leave so they could set up for lunch.. "Well.. those folks you just let in aren't going to be very happy..." I said as we turned to leave... the sweet lady actually turned red...

It was a nice day so we decided to cruise over to the Paradise buffet at the Fremont... they already transistioned apparently and there was no line... still breakfast items and a full lunch setup... not outstanding, but not bad at all and with our Aloha coupon books the buffet was $3 dollars each.. good deal..!!

BTW... that night we rolled up to Garden Court for dinner.. no problem and with our coupon book dinner was $5 dollars each... a really good deal..!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly we enjoy the buffet at both MSS and the Fremont. Of course at MSS you get the comedian Manny whipping up your omelet.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Actually she did mean rubies, as in ruby card holders. They don't give discount prices for ruby card holders?

Yes, the Cal has a morning buffet. Simple buffet, think McD all you can eat meal. Nah, the Cal buffet serves scrambled eggs, has standard meats (hash, bacon, portugese sausage, link sausage I think, ham). They also serve canned peaches and apples. Toast, buns, bagels, rice, hash browns. Costs a buck more than a McD meal so worth it if you want to eat bulk food.

MSS has a little more stuff than the Fremont buffet. They also serve pizzas for the kids. But last time I was there it costs a little more than the Fremont buffet. I like the Fremont buffet because they serve those small smoky sausages (MSS doesn't).

It also depends on what day you go to the buffet, on weekends MSS serves a special brunch buffet.

11. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always amazed at how Manny remembers my name: "Young Man." I still tip him a buck each time, since I usually pester him to plate mine before he overcooks it, which he is prone to do.

If you have points on your card, you can still use them there as of last month. Rubes included.

BTW, haven't seen pizza at the MSS breakfast buffet in a long time. Besides being able to get a made-to-order omlet, everything else strikes me as just okay.

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was my first thought too. But once @Joe mentioned it I remembered. It didn't come to mind since it's a buffet station inside a restaurant. It works for us, Kim doesn't care much for buffets so it gives her a chance to order from the menu.

Edit to add. Later in the day it becomes the salad bar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hundley Fan

Hundley Fan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not anymore. That changed early this year. They made the same change at the Fremont buffet, though the amount of the discount there is the same for both Sapphire and Emerald. The discount at the MSS buffet is greater for Emerald than for Sapphire. At least it was in May.

I saw in my BConnected online account that they are again offering free breakfast/lunch buffet coupons at Fremont after earning Tier Credits. Mondays thru Fridays, earn 15 Tier Credits ($75 coin-in on slots); weekends, earn 30 Tier Credits. Before they changed systems, it was 100 points ($100 coin-in) M-F or 200 points on weekends to qualify for the offer, so they've lowered the requirement. Not sure, though, if you'll still get two vouchers after earning the TCs or just one voucher. Previously, the points had to be earned before 2 p.m. (the lunch buffet closes at 2:30 or 3 p.m.), the vouchers were good for that day only, and you printed them yourself at one of the self-service kiosks. Not sure if Ruby cardholders can take advantage of this offer.

14. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just noticed the cashing out points notation on your timer. :beer:

15. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with @Joe. Cal is nothing special whatsoever. Only thing is that it's cheap.
    Didn't like the eggs, because, to me, it felt like it was a mix of liquid eggs. If you order off of the menu, you'll get fresher and tastier eggs.
    The bacon, Portuguese sausage, etc. are okay. But I was very disappointed with the hash browns. They were completely tasteless and disappointing. Again, if you order off the menu, you'll get it made to order and it'll be fresh.

16. Tumpster

Tumpster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Just tried this place for the first time, 100% agree. Would go back if compped but I'll go to MSS if I was paying.

17. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I just happened to be looking at the website for Fremont’s Buffet the other day and noticed that the discount was gone for rubies. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to list the discounted price and then in fine print put that non-members and rubies would pay $1 more. Seems like that’s just asking for misunderstandings vs putting the full price and making higher tier members feel good about their $1 off.

After reading your TR I got curious and looked at a few other Boyd buffet websites. MSS also lists the discounted price, but their website says it is for B Connected members and even notes that membership is free. No mention of having to be a higher tier.

Sam’s Town lists 3 separate prices: for non-members, ruby, and above.

Orleans and Gold Coast lists the full price and in fine print says discounts are available for B Connected members.

Seems like they haven’t standardized their websites yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HHW

HHW VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the MSS breakfast, especially when it’s the brunch deal on the weekend.

Trip 18: Carrie-ing on!
    Trip 19: Just the tip (of the Road Trip)!
  19. GOLFCADDY1

GOLFCADDY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I DO NOT AGREE WITH BOYD GAMING NOT GIVING BUFFET DISCOUNT FOR RUBY B-CONNECTED MEMBERS. ON PREVIOUS TRIPS HAVE ALWAYS WENT TO FREMONT AND MSS BUFFETS. OH WELL, whats the old saying "profit is not a dirty word, but greed is" This upcoming Feb trip, will probably visit other places to eat while staying downtown.

20. Greg66

Greg66 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had always liked the Fremont buffet for breakfast. Cheap, simple with some quality bacon and a decent omelet station. Last summer we stayed downtown for the first time in a couple of years. Day 1 we head to the Fremont for breakfast. First disappointment was that we had to pay full price. WTF. Then we found the food to be inedible. It had gone downhill by several notches. Needless to say we didn't go back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.