1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Baltimore Inner Harbour Dining ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Camp Rusty, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heynow Gamblers...

Anyone out there have a spot they like in Baltimore's inner harbour where they like to eat ? We are staying at the Baltimore Renaissance on Pratt Street, by the Aquarium this Friday and we are looking for good crab...... well, the fiance' is looking for good crab, I am looking for good ales :beer:

I found the Pratt Street Ale House but the kitchen will likely be closed by the time we get there. Google maps doesn't really show anything near us besides that one. I am always a little suspect of the Google dining places, they don't list the "hole in the walls".

Problem is we won't be to the hotel until probably 9:30-10:pM. I know the hotel has a restaurant but in my travels have found that most hotel food is just OK, and generally overpriced.

Suggetions ?

Thanks, Rusty

2. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's a hole in the wall you're looking for, you may want to wander up to Water Street and check out The Water Street Tavern and Peter's Pour House. Only about a two block walk from your hotel. The food is good, not great, and the ambiance is a little more local because the tourist set doesn't make it away from the waterfront. Both are open late and should give you a solid 3 and 1/2 star caliber experience...above average for a very fair price on both food and booze. I live in DC and find my way to Baltimore twice a year, and I hit both places for sure.

3. BobCat

BobCat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to the Inner Harbor several times to see Baltimore Orioles games. The places I've eaten at have been McCormick & Schmicks, the Rusty Scupper, and Philips Seafood. All have been good but a little pricey due to the Inner Harbor location. Philips is probably the most casual with M & S next and Rusty Scupper the "uppiest" but casual dress was still ok. I haven't had crab there but my wife has had crab cakes. All 3 restaurants have web sites with their menus on them so give that a try. They are all close to your hotel and within walking distance but I don't know their hours.

4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Bdautch

Exactly the sort of info I was looking for :) :) :)

5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bb Cat...Thanks

Saw the Rusty Scupper on the map, I think the kitch closes before we get there. I'll check out Phillips, thanks :thumbsup:

6. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK...Sorry....Dumb Question

We are not big city pholks at all......assuming it is a safe area to walk about after dark ?

7. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's fine to walk around there. But, there's very little in the way of good food in that area.

That said, I think you should hop a cab and head over to Bertha's Mussels. That's a hole in the wall and pretty famous. They're open until 11pm on the weekends and the bar is open later. Tons of great bars around that area in Fells Point as well.

I would skip Phillips. It's a chain and not a very good one at that. So is M&S', but at least that's a better chain.

If you don't want to venture that far, Little Italy is close by (though they won't have crabcakes) and there's PAZO, which is not a whole in the wall, but an excellent restaurant.

The Marriott Waterfront has an excellent restaurant in the bottom of it as well. It's Roy's. The original Roy's is in Hawaii and it's a very well known restaurant. If you can, I would actually stay at the Marriott Waterfront instead. I like the location and things in that area better than the Ren (which I've also stayed in as well).

8. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One additional note. When I said it's safe to walk around there, just in the general area of the waterfront. Don't try to be adventurous around the downtown area. It literally goes from safe to not safe in the span of a block.

I ran the Baltimore half marathon a few years ago which takes you around the entire city and even that not so nice parts. I go up there about once or twice a year.

Very interesting and fun little town.

9. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Roy's Hawaiian Fusion
    Fleming's Steakhouse
    Fogo De Chao (2 blocks away from Renaissance)
    Miss Shirley's (about 3 blocks)
    James Joyce Irish Pub

We stay at the Ren quite often when my wife has a run up that way or hanging out. We live in the DC area.

We also stay in the Hotel Monaco and Marriott Waterfront.

If it gets too late, try the "mall" across the street for some eats.

I can't remember all the places that are in the mall at the Ren itself but across the way I know there's M&S, Cheesecake Factory, Unos, and Bubba Gump.

10. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your screen name is also the name of my suggestion on the Harbour, the Rusty Scupper. Was last there last fall, and had an excellent special which included crab cakes, stuffed shrimp and scallops. Drinks were great (strong), they had a good wine choices, and a few local brews on tap, IIRC. We went around 8:30 or 9:00 PM on a Sunday, and they were still open, but I would call the restaurant (regardless which one you choose) to confirm they'll still be open and seating new guests at 10/10:30.

Stayed at the Marriott, which is near the waterfront, but I'm not sure how close that is to your hotel.

11. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Everyone.....

...this is going to be great.

Looks like we'll be cabbing it around Fells Point. We live on Orcas Island in the San Juans and get Dungeness crab all summer long. The fiance' says blue crab are even better and she is trying to prove it to me. I am very skeptical !

We shall see:licklips:

12. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are tons of great places around that area. I don't think you'll be disappointed in your choice.

If you really want to check out a whole in the wall and something local to that region, hit up Patterson Bowling for the some duckpin bowling. You can bring your own beer (and there's a liquor store close by). The balls are like skeeballs and the pins are tiny but you bowl on something similar to a regular bowling alley. It's much more fun than bowling and pretty cheap too.

IIRC, they have a scorecard from Babe Ruth still hanging on the wall. The place is that old.

13. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fells Point is a good bar hopping spot. If you want a place to dance, they have that. If you want as pub where you can sit and watch a ballgame, they have that. If you want a cheap Natty Boh and a Jello shot, they have that. Pretty much the whole range is covered except there's not really a super upscale place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.