1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anybody do multi-sleeps?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by smerrian, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find I only sleep my 8 hours straight half the time. Usually, like now, I sleep 3-5 hours wake up for a few hours and then grab the last 3-5 hours. For instance, I fell asleep at 11:00pm and woke up at 2:30am. I'll probably fall back asleep when the sun comes up at 6:00am and sleep for a 3-4 more hours.

This is part of what makes LV such a great destination for me as it's going 24 hours a day and I blend right in rather than feeling like a spook roaming the halls.

Anybody else able to relate to this? I guess it helps if you're retired. I didn't know this was my normal body-set when I had to drag myself out of bed to my alarm clock every morning.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not retired, but every damn night. Hence why I'm up and posting on this board at 1am. My sleep schedule is a total mess. Usually a few hours at a time, a half-hour on the internet, back to sleep. Rinse, repeat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. timtanium

timtanium Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a similar issue. Very rarely sleep 8 hours straight.

4. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some researchers suggest that this "two sleeps" per night is actually hardwired into our DNA. I'm working right now so I don't have time to dig up the links, but it's an interesting theory.

• Like Like x 3
  5. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve been like this for years...still some years to go before retirement. That’s why I post at all hours...no set time to sleep.

Sometimes I wish it was different EXCEPT when I’m in Vegas. It works out well...

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often wake at 4am.... do a few odds n ends, then fall asleep in recliner in TV room - getting 1-2 hours which works great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same for me. Typically sleep like 10:00 - 2:00 or so, then a couple more hours from 4:00 to 6:00. If I used the gap productively I guess it wouldn't be so bad, but I typically just surf the web or watch TV which doesn't help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some nights are like that for me.

Having an old dog needing to be let out at all hours or/plus a sleepwalking minion make for odd sleeping hours from time to time.

RICHARD

• Like Like x 2
  9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Occasionally, yes. It takes me about 90 minutes to get sleepy again when it happens. At my age I rarely sleep straight through, but can get up for a minute and go straight back to sleep. The two phenomena seem unrelated to each other.

10. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never sleep through the night. But I don't get up and become active... I am generally able to fall asleep again, unless anticipating something, like a very early start. And on those occasions I can't return to sleep, I just lay and watch TV. Thats gotten rarer as I get older.

I've awakened in hotel rooms and gone online, but at home, my devices don't even enter my bedroom - they stay downstairs. (I still have a landline.)

Not sure I buy into the hype about screens, light wavelengths, etc, but for me, holding and looking at a phone or tablet 24" from my face, disrupts my ability to get back to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've started taking melatonin and it has made a big difference for my sleep. Never been able to nap though.

12. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm often up late online, especially on VMB, but you really should try not to look online after you wake up in the middle of the night. That blue light, etc. just makes it harder to get a deep sleep the second time around. Even tv or a book is better. You didn't ask for advice but passing it on as when I learned to not do that it really did make a difference.

I usually sleep pretty hard through the night, thank goodness, but sometimes I get a little hot (maybe tail end of onset of menopause), so sometimes I wind up waking up a bit to remove covers or even, in the dead of winter, getting up and cracking a window, or I make the mistake of having too much water before going to sleep, which then means I HAVE to get up. But, I am now frontloading my drinking more water (which is a struggle as I'd rather drink coffee, tea or milk) for the first half of the day. I now try and get 64 ounces in by 3 or 4 so anything after that is gravy, as opposed to playing "catch" up by drinking a lot of water at 9 at night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm now trying to find it, but I recently read an article about this, and apparently part of the issue as well is that we "wake up" during the night but don't regain full consciousness and don't remember it.

Definitely agreed. I do try to avoid it, but sometimes I just get to the point where I know I'm not falling back to sleep quite yet, and laying in bed is boring.

• Like Like x 3
  14. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All My Life! When I was 6 or 7 I remember pretending to sleep so my parents wouldn't worry.

It's gotten worse as I've gotten older. My dogs demand that I get up at 6:00 to feed them, and that's the time when I can usually sleep well. Last night was typical. Exhausted, I crashed at 9:30 and woke at 11. Got back to sleep at 12:30 and awoke at 3. Back to sleep at 4:30, but the dog let me sleep in until 6:30. Bonus!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember when I thought taking a nap :snore: was construed as punishment by my uneducated brain... things change. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, since the pandemic hit the fan, I typically wake up maybe 2-3 in the morning and work and surf for a while, then sleep a couple more hours, head in for a few hours, then take off .

• Like Like x 1
  17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, at summer camp, I remember being younger and hating "rest hour". Then I got a bit older, and "rest hour" was my favorite part of the day. We sometimes used to lobby for "extended rest hour", which was even better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas I usually only get about 4 to 5 hours of straight sleep. Before covid I would get to sleep around 2 - 4 am. Wake up for breakfast but be out the door by 10 am. I would return to my room and take a nap in the late afternoon, usually 1 to 2 hours so I am fresh for the nightly activities.

At home I do something similar, sleep 5 or 6 hours and take an afternoon nap of an hour or two before dinner. Now that I'm retired I have the time for that nap but before retirement I would be tired all the time because no afternoon naps.

• Love Love x 1
  19. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quarantine and working from home has also screwed with our brains.

In summary and in summation...

20. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do almost anything to sleep 8 straight hours, but unfortunately, my brain isn't wired that way. And yes, I'm aware this doesn't bode too well for my prospects of living a long time =/.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.