1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another Orlando tragedy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NYNYGirl, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regardless of who is right or wrong, an innocent child died. The victim could not read the signs nor have any idea about alligators. Kids can wander and fast. Anyone that has them knows you can turn your back for a second and they are in to something they shouldn't be. Yes I'm aware that this is instinctual to alligators. Predator, instinct whatever...if it were my child there wouldn't be an alligator left alive in that lagoon. Then the animal rights people go crazy with how could you harm an innocent alligator? If it ate your child what are you gonna do? Buy it a bouquet of flowers with a thank you note? Sorry I will never value an animals life over an infant. Some adults on the other hand....

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did kill just about every alligator they found (or at least the ones big enough to have potentially been responsible) while looking for the body.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, they are busy killing all they find. I understand the person that says their child's life is more valuable than an alligator, but not sure how killing them is helping the situation. The child is still gone. By the way, from what I heard the alligator did not eat the child. Drowning was the main cause and some puncture wounds. Very, very sad situation. My heart goes out to the parents.

As to a proper response. Not sure there really is one. The beaches are all closed because that is what we do these days. Folks are busy trying to blame somebody. Sad.

4. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh?Whuuut?:blink: Whatever you are drinking, I would like two, but please, keep me away from the keyboard!

5. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When they were "killing" them or sacrificing them as they called it it was for the sake of finding the childs body at that time perhaps in one of the alligators stomach. Authorities weren't aware that the child had not been eaten at that time. Just sad...

6. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The burden of protecting guests always falls on the business. The customer pays and the business provides a safe location to shop, dine, vacation etc. The fact that the parents allowed the child into the water doesn't matter, because Disney's burden was to protect their guests against the threats that lingered in their manmade lagoon. The "Act of God" defense would reduce Disney's liability, but their engineered creation ultimately was the killing machine, therefore they incur more liability than normal.

Again, I don't agree with the system, but 'tis the system that we have.

Nick:beer:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who is valuing an animal's life over a child's?

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is morbid but the reason the child's body was found intact is because these animals wait until the body rots before they consume it. Morbid, I know and it's horrible. But true.

That's why the child's body was found intact.

9. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not on here specifically, just FB has everyone freaking because they were killing alligators but were not as upset about the child.

10. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right and they drown their victims before consuming.

11. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, ok. Animal rights folks haven't been known for their logic. I think the gators could drop a few notches in the Orlando area, so #1 it's a safer destination as we continue to close in on gator areas and #2 I love gator bites with creole mustard and a cold Abita!

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Actually many of the tv stations are starting to show that there have been more reports of gators at the resort for a number of years. Some people even commented to management about the gators who didn't think it was a problem. There were comments about hotel guests feeding the gators who came up to them. They even interviewed a mother who was at the exact spot where the kid got taken 30 minutes prior to the attack. Her kid was standing in the water (not swimming) so was just lucky that the gator didn't decide to attack her kid. I know this is more semantics but the kids were just standing in the water so technically were not swimming. The sign should have been specific but was vague (no swimming could mean anything).

They are showing Disney now starting to fence off the areas in an attempt at damage control but an "act of god" defense would never hold IMHO because they knew about the gators for a number of decades. (Inside Edition interviewed a person who got attacked at the Disney property many decades ago). They also put up signs that warn guests of gators and snakes in the area.

Like I said, Disney will probably take out their checkbooks and start to write a lot of zeros because they have the money and don't want the negative publicity.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  13. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Phrased as an argument, but coming to the same conclusion. Your "honest opinion" isn't an opinion, its reality. This situation was no longer an act of God, when the creation that caused harm is man made. IE no engineered lagoon, no gators inhabiting, and no attack. For liability purposes, Disney caused the gators to be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.