1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

? for so-cal beach campers

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by chef, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

After cold, cold winter, thinking of heading to LA area in a couple weeks for warm weather and the ocean. My primary activity would be hiking and running.
    Any thoughts on the prospects of tent camping on the beach at places like Thornhill Broome, Leo Carillo, Jalama, Andrew Molena, etc.

2. Shauncho

Shauncho Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I've camped at Leo Carillo a couple times. I like it a lot but I wouldn't really call it camping ON the beach...Near a beach is more like it. The actual campgrounds are on the opposite side of the PCH highway from the beach however, it's close enough for your needs. Campgrounds are decent size however sometimes you'll get the occasional group of kids out there just to drink and be noisy (that's how I first heard of the place when I was in high school) but the park rangers usually do a good job of keeping them quiet. The campsites along the easy side of the park have more secluded campsites covered by bushes and trees, while the ones in the middle of the campgrounds are more open. However, the ground is more uneven on the sides. Somewhat of a trade off.

Hope some of this helped.

3. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the campgrounds you listed are booked months in advance. Make sure you check out the California parks website or the website for the specific campground. I believe Jalama is under Santa Barbara county so you have to find the info on a separate site.

There are walk in sites but they wont be the best choices. So it becomes first come first serve for the limited sites that wont be booked.

The weather here in CA is great right now I'm sure compared to where you are from. The nights are in the 50s with some mild night breezes. You'll be fine with a tent. It'll be comfortable with the basic camping gear.

As far as hiking and running, most of the campgrounds are near hiking trails. If not next to it, they'll be some within walking distance or a couple miles away.

4. chef

That was one of my concerns, availability of campsites. I did not want to reserve in advance because my plans aren't set in stone. Instead, it would be a day-by-day scenario.
    Also, any thoughts on places further up the coast (Big Sur)?

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Jalama is a Santa Barbara County park … and Andy, if you get that close and don't call, you're meat! Nice thing about Jalama is it's not So Cal. That immensely long beach definitely is the draw there, unbelievably LONG beach, and sharks aren't eating folks like up here at Surf; don't be drawn in by the overhyped burger.

I'd put in a vote for Refugio State Beach. Less wind than Gaviota, not as crowded as El Cap. But of course all of this does you little good if you are focused on the Southland

Traveler is correct about rezzies, though Jalama is more available than the state parks to the south.

6. chef

Hey, I've done that drive before and have no problem going as far north as Monterey because of the scenery.
    Actually, I kinda plan to bounce around from up north LA to Big Sur, if the logistics work. Still not to keen on the reseveration part of this.
    And, Ken my friend, if I happen to be within range, will definitely call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.