1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

seldom-used "C" security entrance

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by chef, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Did you know that at the "D" security gates, there is one line set aside for the "C" concourse. The last couple times I've used it, I was virtually only one in line.
    So instead of going to the "C" gates, go to "D" and be whisked right through in the somewhat secret passageway.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... I used to use it, but now that I'm approved for TSA Pre-Check... no need. Since that whole area used to be half D and half C gates, it takes you right to the tram, which is really helpful if you're going to the low C # gates. The new C gates to the left of the Southwest check-in is a long walk down to the low #'d gates.

3. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been pondering this question for some time now, but not sure if anyone knew how to answer it. From the posting here, sounds like maybe, so please excuse the hijack. It is for SWA flights.

For SWA, it is either B or C gate. From the OP, if my SWA return flight is C gate, I can use the D gate trick (thank you).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My hijack question regards entering via B gate, and then venturing over to C gate . Say our SWA return flight is B gate. While waiting for our flight, we want to spend some time at Barney's Lounge, located in C gate.

Looking at the McCarran map, there is a long hallway that connects B gate to C gate.

The question is, once you go through security, and then to go from B to C, or returning from C to B (via this long walkway/hallway) do we have to go through security again?

I ask, because, the map shows security checkpoints before B gate, and C/D gate. OK, this is fine. Then the map also shows another security point at the beginning of this long walkway/hallway, when going from C to B gate. Makes no sense, for in order to be in this area, you have already gone through the C checkpoint where the trams are located.

So the map is not making sense to me.

Looked on the McCarran web site for a telephone number to call about this. Can't find a telephone.

So, can you go from B to C and C to B (via the walkway/hallway), without going through security a second time? It sounds confusing, but this is as simple as my little brain can make it.

4. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:

I hate it when I get the B gate, because my favorite place to eat is in the C gates. You can walk freely between B and C gates with no further security. It's kind of a haul, IMO. Well, over 5 minutes, anyway.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's correct... once you've passed thru security, you can move freely between C, B and A gates. I think B is actually closed right now for renovations and they've moved everything into A. A few months ago, my SWA plane was landing at A frequently, but the return flight for me was always coming back out of C. Lately, both are back in C.
    I've never had a reason to go to D, but am pretty sure once behind security, you can over to there if you were so inclined... unimpeded as well.

6. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, got it, and Thanks everyone for SWA gate info and security checkpoints.

So Gate B is in a refurb? I hope we leave Gate C, for the walk from A to C looks awful long.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually return home via C gates, and sometimes B.

I always TRY to use the other TSA Sec. as its almost always quicker than C.
    (even with TSA Preck) Often the TSA Pre Ck is just as long, or once, I saw it even LONGER than the regular TSA Line. Several of us stayed in the regular line instead of doing PreCk. ridiculous.

Anyway, couple weeks ago, A/B was Closed off for TSA PreCk, and the regular line was super long......so, I was told to schlep to C anyway. (yes, with my carryon)

Then, walk BACK to B as I was flying out of B gate.
    Really got my exercise that day.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know there's some truth to that! Once when I was "randomly selected for the Pre-Check, I got there and they were merging "regular" folks into the Pre-Check line to keep things moving. I get it... they didn't wanna have a long line on one-side and no line on the other, but it happened to make things crazier in Pre-Check.

The agents on one side were telling our line, "leave your shoes on, laptops stay in the bag, etc." with people who were just told to go over there. The travelers were all confused, as the other line right next to us was being told, "remove your laptops from you bag, remove shoes, etc.".

I'm hoping, as more people sign-up for "verified" Pre-Check, they start to reduce the random people, otherwise... what's the point?

The only thing that's slowed me down in the single C gate line over by the D gates is that they use that one for all the vendor and food products that get brought in to restock. If you get behind a couple of those carts, all the stuff on it has to go through one at a time and then reload the cart on the other side.:cry:

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the 3rd flight in a row, last month, my wife got the pre-check. Me, never and we only fly together.

I think I'm talking about the same thing as other posters. It was printed on her boarding pass and she didn't have to take her shoes off etc.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    B 8-16 still closed, but all the other B gates are open.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been using the D security for C for a number of years now. We do it since there is better shopping going that way and the fact that the line is super short. Shhhh....lets keep it our secret. ;)

12. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learned about this trick in a previous thread and it amazes me how short the line is. Now if they only had one for the E gates.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.