1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2014 mens ncaa basketball championship

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by kitson, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Arizona has been exposed as of late in the Pac. Coupled with the injury to Ashley, the odds should be much more of a longshot than 15-1. Great defense, mind you, but that is the extent of their talent as a team.

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A month ago (before the Ashley injury) the odds on them were 3-1. If it has moved beyond 15-1, that's pretty incredible

3. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw they were 5/1 a few weeks ago, but they lost a close game to someone at the weekend.

Was it Syracuse?

It's been excellent value for $50 anyway, and if it comes good I get a free flight to Vegas courtesy of the Wildcats :)

I bet Oklahoma for the NBA championships last month at 7/1, so I hopefully have another live bet there.

I really only watch it occasionally, but another English friend of mine watches a lot of Basketball, and has a few friends in the US that steer a few recommends his way.

We all backed Michael Carter Williams for best rookie at the start of the season. I got on at 12/1, but I think they're on at prices from 16/1 down, and for more than my $50!

4. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They lost to ASU Saturday.

If we're sticking strictly with results they've gone 3-2 over the last 5 games; 2-2 over the last 4. 2 of those 3 wins during their last 5 were by margins of 2 and 3 points.

If we're talking about the product on the court they have no go-to scorer and struggle mightily at the free throw line. Watching them play numerous times I can comfortably say I believe the odds against them winning the championship are much higher than 15-1, despite where they were placed before.

ASU has limited depth and their premier player, Jahii Carson was 7-17 from the field and 3-6 from the free throw line. ASU kept trying to give the game away to UA Saturday, but AZ had no one who had the offensive ability to take advantage.

AZ's defense will keep games close in the tourney but their lack of offensive output will keep them from going far, imo.

5. Piston12

Piston12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting year for college basketball. Lots of talented players, not many solid TEAMS.

I too am a UK fan, and this year (and last) are killing me. As for the 90s CATS team that I loved for the defense, it's the 93 team. Check the game highlights on youtube from the ncaa tourney that year when we absolutely smothered Wake Forest. I think we got out to a 32-8 lead.

This year I think it's a short list as to who can win it...

Kansas due to talent
    Florida with experience and talent, but a weak SEC schedule doesn't help
    Michigan State because Izzo is past due for another title and they are solid
    Arizona has an outside shot
    Louisville even though it pains me to say it. And yes, I'm aware of their weak schedule, and the loss of three key players from their championship, but Pitino has them as dialed in as much as they will be and I think they end up getting seeded very high.

Mark down Syracuse for a 2nd or 3rd round exit...they'll catch a hot shooting team that will beat their zone.

*Of course since I'm putting this in writing, expect all my predictions to go out the window...but that's March Madness!*

6. hornhiyo

hornhiyo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep your Super Bowl. The best weekend to be in Vegas is the first weekend of March Madness. By a mile!!

7. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those are similar statements to those that everyone made last year and they ended up playing on the final night of the season. While I agree Sweet 16 is more reasonable, at now 35/1 though it's not a bad bet to throw a few bucks on a team that has one of the most underrated coaches in America, that can shoot with the best and can beat anyone if they get hot and already hung with and should've beat one of the consensus favorites Arizona while Arizona was healthy and rolling.

I know I wouldn't be against throwing a spare $20 bill on a team like that for a chance to win $700.

For actual contenders, I think it's Syracuse's (9/1) title to lose but that said they are hard to watch but get wins. Next in line would be a healthy Arizona (12/1) and Florida (11/2). Just not good money to be had there, I'd take my chances with hunting out a few long shots to make some noise but remember National Champs usually come with a big name and some history so forget the Shockers and Blue Jays.

8. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't recall what people were saying about Michigan last year, but the big difference is Burke. They had a fantastic PG last year, which (for me at least) can make a big difference March. Otherwise, you pretty much confirmed what I said, lots of offense, no mention of defense. Wouldn't shock me if they do better than the sweet 16, but if I had to rate them now, I would put them outside the top 10 to win it all

9. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same was said last year, about no defense but can score with anyone and it got us to April. While not being a Trey Burke like PG both Nik Stauskas and Caris Levert can take over games in a blink of an eye with their scoring and athleticism. No Trey Burke, who was and is going to be one of the better PG in basketball as a whole for a while is why I agree they are not a top 10 favorite to win the title but the kids that can get hot and get baskets unlike many other teams and a great coach at the helm is why there's a lot of value to them at 35-1. You can't find many legitimate teams that have the conference lead (on tie breaker) at those kind of odds. And it's one of the best conferences in America they are leading. By no means a clear cut favorite but definitely one of the best values when it comes to odds.

10. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

well, i am back, with tickets in my pocket for duke at 12-1 and virginia at 28-1.

just could not force myself to take anyone else with the low odds, so will go with the acc and some odds.

11. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Duke at 12-1 is a great value. At this point I am sticking with my most likely list in order

Florida (deepest frontcourt in nation and solid in backcourt)
    Kansas (Great athletes and good mix of veterans and freshmen)
    Michigan St. (Hope they don't get healthy, when healthy, matchup nightmares)
    Syracuse (Lot of great pieces and close wins help no matter what in tourney)
    Duke (Diehard fan here, perimeter should be unstoppable, but isn't at this time)
    Louisville (playing great ball and could make run)
    UNC (Seems to play better against better comp)
    Arizona ( Will still be in discussion especially if someone takes up scoring lost from Ashley)

Others to push for Final Four bids (Don't think they can win it though): Virginia, Wichita St, Creighton, Villanova, Kentucky, Michigan,

12. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watching the Duke Vir game now and looks like a very good pic and possible payout with Virginia.

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.