1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas-Car Issues

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by schwaiguy, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, Everyone,

I have a car issue, which I'm only experiencing in Vegas. I hope to move there this Summer, so I will need to resolve it. When I am Vegas, one of my cars (and not the other) regularly stalls, up to 12 times per day. My mechanic said it was engine gunk and heat.

Is there anything I can do, or should I trade it in. I was looking for used, low-milage toyotas in Phoenix, but someone not told me not to buy used in Phoenix, Vegas, or El Paso, due to the heat messing up the engines.

I'm not a car guy, so I have no clue

schwaiguy

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't help with you main question, but I couldn't imagine anywhere worse than Las Vegas to stall or have a car break down. Ughhhhhhh... everyone is in a hurry, traffic is ALWAYS congested and then throw in the heat. I would sure want a reliable vehicle underneath me.

3. CenterfieldNine

CenterfieldNine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two thoughts on the main question,

it could be that the tank vapor pressure relief valve is clogged so under heat or elevation change the pressure does not relieve properly

it could be the ignition module. you could try cleaning off all the thermal grease and the reapplying anew

just some vague possibilities, best of luck!

4. QIKFIX

QIKFIX Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) that regulates the acceleration load and fuel pressure mix.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a new car.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Toyota's no longer a no-think, auto-default selection. Still make great cars, I've had a few over my years, but the place ain't invincible; I see another massive recall is in the works.

Everyone has their fave marks and models, every line of cars panned by CR or another testing/review service will have a too-the-death supporter who never has had a problem with the company. On the flip side, Toyotas and Hondas do break. But trends are trends for a reason.

Get online and read and learn. Go kick some tires and grab some steering wheels, see what fires your rocket while not assaulting your wallet. Buying low-mile used, with service records and/or certified pre-owned, can be a very wise way to go.

7. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually the dealer or garage can hook the car up to a computer and tell you what is wrong, especially with issues like that.

8. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well what car are you having trouble with? and where are you coming from where it doesnt stall?

Carburated? computer controlled timing? turbo charged?

Elevation change really has an effect on certain things.

Also, I have never heard of the "dont buy from phx etc" advice...usually AZ and west coast cars are desirable since they are rust free. "The heat messing up the engine" makes no sense... engine operating temp is far hotter than ambient will ever be...

If anything I would say a vehicle from a warmer climate state would be BETTER for the engine...you have a lower temp delta when cold starting, more gradual cooling after shut off, less fuel volume usage, etc

9. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of car?
    Mileage and motor?
    First thing that comes to mind is vapor lock (from the heat)
    Second is perhaps a sensor is messed up.

10. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Thanks everyone. I'll get back later tonight.

schwaiguy

11. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a 2003 Buick LeSabre with 115-120 k miles. It's very comfortable, and I hoped to drive it for 10 more years.

smartone is right. On our last trip, my wife decided when I move there I either needed a new car or to take her car. Her car needs an ac charging. I don't even think you can do that within 2 hours of here.

As always ken2v is on my wavelength. I want a car where I can just change the oil and drive for the next 20 years. If anyone can help me with that, please let me know.

I was looking at used toyota corollas in phoenix. I have secured funding from the pentagon federal credit union. (An aside, my research led me here. It is easy to join and seems to have the best loan rates.) One dealer told me toyota corollas were only made in 4-cylinder, but I regularly find 6 cylinders on auto trader. I'm not a car guy--if anyone can explain that, I'd appreciate it.

The mechanic here hooked it up to the computer, didn't find anything, and told me engine gunk. Tank vapor pressure relief valve (just by the name, this is what seems to be happening), CAS, piston cleaning, fuel injector--if it will fix the car for under 2k-3k, I'll do all of it. I'm going to Vegas for the electronic daisy carnival week. I'm thinking of driving both cars and leaving the Buick with the Vietnamese who fixed it last time and didn't charge me.

Is there one block of services I can request? something like fuel injection overhaul? Or is there a certain type of garage I should take it for this?

Thanks everyone for the help,

schwaiguy

5 weeks until the next trip. :Þ

12. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Corollas are 4-cylinder

The weirdest thing is that you only experience the issue while in vegas...NM has a similar climate to Vegas.

I would sell it and get a toyota

13. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's a 2003, then it's GM OBD-II computer, which is very good at telling you what's wrong with it (if it's computer related)
    The problem with finding a mechanic who is computer-literate and WONT charge you an arm and a leg is the problem.
    Fwiw, your car 90% chance has the gm 3800 series V6 (great engine)
    But like demon said, its odd that it does it in Vegas and NOT home (same climate)
    I would drive it to Vegas, and when/if it acts up, go to an AutoZone and have borrow a "Code Scanner" (free tool rental) and hook it up to your car (the connector will be under the dash on the drivers side, easy-peasy)
    This will tell you EXACTLY what's going on.
    Then, if you want to PM me, I can help you out (I'm an ASE Certified mechanic, with my specialty being fuel injection)
    If the code scanner doesn't say anything is wrong (when it's still acting up) then it might just be air filter, fuel filter, or gas cap.

14. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok. I overlooked something. It does it here in Gallup, NM (mountains) rarely. Sometimes in Albuquerque. But, in either case, no more than once or twice a day. Then, I start it up, and it drives fine afterwards. When I trained in Vegas this Summer, I was staying at Holiday Royale near the hard rock. It would stall once in the morning before the mgm and once or twice between the mgm and the highway. (tropicana?) Sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row. In Vegas, I have a lot more places to go and end up driving for 16-18 hours per day, as opposed to my usual half hour. I thought it was the heat.

I will hit auto zone and send the code. Thanks a lot TIMSPEED. My mechanics here keep my cars running, but I doubt they are computer literate.

The old Mexican guy who told me not to buy cars too far South said South of Flagstaff, air conditioners are overused and it causes problems with engine overheating. It made sense to me, but hen again, I'm not a mechanic.

schwaiguy

15. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have lived in AZ forever and have never had overheating issues from "overusing" the AC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.