1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

USAirways, help

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Patripman, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last 6 times flying into Vegas we used SW but since they got a foothold in the Pittsburgh market flight prices have not moved at all to the good. The best they can do is $173.00 each way for mid December, this time last year I flew out in December for $109.00 each way. I checked on flights with US Air and they are showing some really nice prices for RT at $268.00 with 1 stop. I rarely see any posts about US Air so how are they with service and other things compared to SW?

p

2. LAS

LAS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have never flown SWA before so I can't really compare the two.. but US had pretty average to low service. You can't really expect much on domestic flights these days.
    The good news is that you're going to Vegas!! :drunk:

3. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown them several times out of DFW to Vegas. But I have to admit that I've never flown in their coach section. Their first class is comparable to AA or UA.
    One really great thing about USAir is the last-minute first-class upgrade fee - $75 per segment. So, for $150 more you can fly first class (space-available of course). I've used it every time. Since luggage and drinks become 'free', figure $30 saved on the bag & another $30 saved on drinks, and it's quite a bargain. Just call them 23 hours and 59 minutes before your scheduled departure time.
    (It used to be $50/segment - and I could never quite understand how I was always able to get a seat at those prices - but I did!)

4. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kris and I flew United/USAir on the way to NC (SFO=>HOU=>CLT)
    and it wasn't too terrible.
    Now, on the way HOME, we were delayed 4 hours...but I think it was a schedule conflict (last flight out of CLT and the plane had a computer malfunction)
    I'd do it again in a heartbeat for the price we paid ($400 Round-Trip each)
    We flew in their entire domestic fleet (757, A320 A321)

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    US Air is fine. One of what many would call "mainline" carriers. I would say they are as good/or bad as Delta, United, etc. Not in the same category as some wannabe's like Spirit or Allegiant.

But, they are still an airline and not a luxury limo service.

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Exactly. I've flown every domestic legacy carrier and they're all the same. US Air is no better or worse than United, American, or Delta. They're all flying Greyhound buses whether you're in coach or first, only difference is a little more space. Fortunately, domestic flights are short.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How is it to fly US Airways? Not bad for being twice bankrupt. They are a legacy carrier, you are allowed one carry on, you have to pay $25 for one checked bag, and you get a soft drink. The staff is not rude, but not exactly empowered to offer great service and any long time employee has had a round or two of pay cuts. I have a US Airways credit card and just used one my annual $99 companion fare offers for my wife when we went to Vegas, the flight was delayed for over an hour, but it was the last one for he night. I also used my once a year pass for the US Airways lounge at PHL (while waiting for a late Spirit flight) and it was pretty nice and something that I could get used to.

I think air travel in general sucks, it has become a race to the bottom with a la carte pricing. It is a crapshoot, but I would feel better if it were a direct flight to minimize problems in case of a delay. I agree with another thread that Southwest will begin to charge for bags, their pricing has been inching up in the past year. The lure of more revenue through fees is too hard to pass up. As a result, I have not flown SWA in awhile.

Have you checked Spirit out of Latrobe?

topcard, thanks for the heads up on the $75 upgrade to first class and the free luggage, will keep this in mind for the future.

8. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I checked Spirit from Latrobe and they are higher than standard flights from Pittsburgh.

Spirit Airlines Latrobe to Las Vegas, 1 way

4:35 PM 10:32 PM 1 Stop Standard

$98.87 Fare $73.47 fuel charge $33.45 government cut

$205.79 Total

I thank everyone on the responses on US Air, I marked up the flights this morning for December and although the prices were good the total price ultimately comes out to be $28.00 total less than SW, which at this time is looking more and more likely who we will use.

p

9. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always fly USair (everywhere not just vegas) and have never had issues...

10. Traveling1

Traveling1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically save all my frequent flyer miles with US Air to fly first class out of Pittsburgh to Las Vegas. I wish they brought back the direct flights that they had several years back but I doubt we will ever see that again.

I fly to Phoenix and then to Vegas. I'd rather head "west" to catch my stopover than fly to Philly or some other eastern city first then out to Vegas.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.