1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM GRAND Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by north east j, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I have a convention Sept 21-25 - staying all 4 nights at MGM Grand.

Booked 3 nights in a petite King, 4th night free thanks to Myvegas. I have not stayed at MGM Grand since the room renos....

Here's where it gets tricky:

I received an upgrade email to a Grand King Suite - strip view today. But they only have the first 3 nights on the upgrade offer.

So...

1 - Is it worth $14/night to upgrade from a petite king to a Grand King Strip View?
    2 - Has anyone else had this happen when they merge with myvegas? What will happen in this instance? Another $14/night for the upgrade or will they put the screws to me?

In all honesty, work is paying for it - but I want to make sure because I want to try to maximize my car rental ability within work budget.

Thoughts?

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never used MyVegas and can't speak to your second question, but as to the first, there is a pretty dramatic difference between the Petite King rooms and the normal Grand King rooms (which I think is what you're talking about, seeing as I've never heard of a "Grand King suite" there). The Grand King rooms are basically standard Vegas hotel rooms, while the Petite King rooms are very, very small. They're about 350sf (which, by way of reference, is smaller than the standard Mirage rooms), compared to the Grand King rooms which are about 450sf. They're in the west tower, which was originally the Marina Hotel built back in the 1970s. Having been in both, I'd say that unless you're traveling by yourself and really, really don't care about the size of your room, it's worth the upgrade, but that's a question you'd have to answer for yourself. I'd personally take the upgrade any day.

3. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were solo, and didn't care much about the room, the Petites are fine. But otherwise they are very nicely decorated but very tiny and uncomfortable.

4. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is weird about that is that the MGM is pretty well booked that weekend. Yet you, me, and a friend of mine all received the same offer for the upgrade. I'm begining to wonder if they set aside a block of the better rooms and now that it's close and they are releasing them as an upsell.

I took them up on it since the room is a little bigger, newer, and was a "premier view".

5. SUPER MACHINE

SUPER MACHINE Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope it's worth it. I want a view of the strip.

6. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's worth $14 not to pack and move to a different room and unpack.
    I would do it for $30.

7. SUPER MACHINE

SUPER MACHINE Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone have any pics of their upgrade?

8. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd upgrade it, the remodeled rooms are very nice. Also the tower where the Petite rooms are is very far away. I'd say the view alone is worth $56!

I'm sure you will be happy either way though!

9. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So just an update.......

I upgraded then called them to ask what would be done with the myvegas day. We were told that it was impossible to upgrade us on the myvegas date, and then we would have to move rooms for one night.

Not interested in that, so we asked to have upgrade removed if this was the case. Telephone receptionist was very rude and almost hung up on me.

We are now considering cancelling our reservation altogether.

10. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an update....

So I was so 'impressed' with MGM Grand telephone service that we relooked at ideas. Didn't want to waste MyVegas points for a no show, so I booked Caesars Sat/Sun (with Sunday comped) and stayed at MGM for Mon/Tue for $110 total.

So thanks to the wisdom of the host of not upgrading me, they have lost $350 in reservation $ plus whatever gambling $$$ we will use.

Hopefully our experience with face to face folks will be better when we go! I will try to upgrade when we get there ($20 trick). We upgraded myvegas Mirage stay from basic room to a suite in May (on a Saturday night, no less) so I hope it will work out!

11. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just thought I would update everyone on this....

so I show up on Monday at MGM for 2 nights (instead of 4 due to the rude operator and their refusal to upgrade me for a fee) and walk right up to the front desk. Gentleman there ended up upgrading me FOR FREE to the room I would have paid $20/night for and the phone operator refused to do. He recieved a $20 tip.

Room was awesome - 21st floor with strip view as well as an overhead view of the infamous Mansion.

:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.