1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Meeting a Host for the first time

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Codewarrior47, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codewarrior47

Codewarrior47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it appropriate when meeting a host for the first time, to give them a small gift? Maybe a box of candy or a gift card. Does anyone do that? Is there a rule of thumb?

2. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I knew as well. I'm leaving today for my 2nd trip arranged by a host. Last year, she left a card in my room and left me a phone message checking on things but I never did meet her in person. This year I organized the trip a month ago, and when I emailed for confirmation this week got an automated reply saying she would be out of the office until a few days after my trip is over followed by an email from her confirming everything. I was planning on bringing her some BC smoked salmon (picking it up on the way out of town) but now I'm not sure!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you're talking about meeting him because he setup your trip for the first time, a gift is a nice touch. but definitely not something edible like a box of candy. they get tons of that crap and there's no way to know if he's on a diet or has allergies or what he likes, etc. a gift card is a nice idea or something else.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though I'm a fan of giving my host a gift card 2-3 times a year (I visit monthly), I've been through 4 of 'em of the past 4 years and haven't thought of doing it when I first meet them, because I have yet to develop a relationship with them and they really haven't done much for me at that point. Many on here think gifting a host at anytime is a no-no... I disagree... and while I haven't done it, don't think there's anything wrong with what you suggest.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first meeting?

No idea what you will get in return?

Will you even meet the host?

6. Codewarrior47

Codewarrior47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, first meeting.

No idea (she's a she). Seems very nice

Never met. Only email.

7. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never ever give someone a gift like that. It would most likely be trashed. Good intentions but how are they to know it comes from a reliable place??

I would never have a host but i would go with what the others suggest and maybe wait a bit. If you get stuff comped but give it back in gifts then what are you really getting??

8. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in the same situation... Dave Lund at Paris.... has compd me limo up front along with my room... normally get CET rooms compd....

Just curious as well...

9. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I've received that BC smoked salmon purchased from the Vancouver airport and its tightly shrink wrapped in very nice sturdy packaging. It also has a very long shelf life (like a couple years literally). I think its a very nice gift because its high quality, doesn't need to be consumed quickly, its healthy, and its a quintessential local item from that region that is probably not readily available in Vegas. It is sold as a popular gift item in Vancouver.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.