1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Need A Restaurant Suggestion - Sat prior to 8pm Show

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Wido78, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wido78

Wido78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be in town this weekend with several Vegas rookies and they are looking for me to make a suggestion for dinner prior to the 8pm Absinthe show. The trouble I have is the time constraint. They will be tied up with convention stuff at Mandalay Bay until 5ish and don't think they will be dinner ready until 6ish.

I am looking for something fun and unique. We have reservations at Spago on Sunday so a "formal" restaurant isn't a requirement. I currently have reservations at Mon Ami Gabi at 6:15.

What else would you suggest?

2. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do Todd English's "Olives" at Bellagio. It's located in the mall area near the overpass bridges to Caesar's Palace.

They serve nice flatbread pizzas and Mediterranean-inspired appetizers and entrees. It's a good place for an upscale, yet casual/social meal. The food is always good, the portion sizes are large and share-able, and you get to eat with a view of the fountains. They also have a great beer/wine list.

Best of all, the menu is such that the meal can be as brief or as extended as you need it to be (in a hurry? Order flatbreads, grilled octopus, a beef tartare, a salad, and dessert). Also be sure to inform your server that you have a show to catch at 8. And a good way to save time is to take care of the bill during (instead of after) your meal. If no dessert, then ask for the bill as the final dish arrives. If getting dessert, ask for the bill as you order it.

Looked at Yelp and there was a picture that is exactly what I'd order if I was in your situation: Todd English's Olives

If you get a 5:45-6:00 reservation, you should be done by 7:30 and then you can walk across to the Absinthe entrance. It would take you less than five minutes to walk there from Olives.

Mon Ami Gabi at 6:15 is cutting it really close. They don't always have your table ready and ordering can take quite a while with their large menu. I'd be willing to bet it will be 6:45 by the time you order. The walk to Absinthe will also take significantly longer. And I've never really liked their food. There's something about the place that screams "tourist trap" that bothers me whenever I eat there.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell Staff you have a show at 8 PM

They will accommodate you, unless you go to E or Joel Rubichon.

Another view of the fountains, better than Olives IMHO, but not that great of food, the Eiffel Restaurant on the Eiffel Tower at Paris. Since you are in town with Vegas Rookies they will be wowed by the Bellagio Fountain show.

You can ask for a window table. Those are stiff chairs but the best view. There are booths but they are further back from the windows.

The manager there, unless he has changed, has posted on this board and seems nice.

Olives is a good restaurant and you won't go wrong with that choice. If there are women in the party I would definitely choose either Olives or Eiffel Tower Restaurant.

Rao's, NOBU, Guy(pronunced ghee(long e sound)) Savoy at Caesars I think are all pretty good. Guy Savoy might not be able to meet the time constraint.

I almost always get lost in Caesars, so if you do eat at Caesars know the escape plan to get outside for the Absinthe show.

4. Wido78

Wido78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I booked Olives... I appreciate the suggestions.

5. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Olives is the best bet.Easy walk across the bridge and you are there.
    We ate at Olives last June before Absinthe and it worked out fine.

6. judy

judy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rao's !

agree about getting lost in Caesars-just leave a trail of breadcrumbs.

I second Rao's and you can eat heavy apps or small plates in the bar - they are nice there! That 6 o clock meet up could be later and if you are stuck at Bellagio and need to truck over to Caesars you will be rushed and possibly screwed!

Personally, i would save Olives for a relaxed slow evening where you can linger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.