1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best way to checkout fremont street from the strip

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Timchuk, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timchuk

Timchuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys,

I am going to be staying on the strip for a week. I was wondering what the best way of getting down town to see freemont street for a day. Is there a cheap shuttle or bus. Thanks

2. vegas3

vegas3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, there are several buses that travel the strip and to downtown. I think the one you want is the downtown express. I would get a 24 hour pass in case you are down there longer than expected.

3. dalemccl

dalemccl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As mentioned by the first reply, the SDX (Strip-Downtown Express) is the best bus to take from mid or north strip. It makes fewer stops on the way to Fremont St. than the double decker buses.

If you are staying on the south strip, the WAX (Westcliff Airport Express) bus picks up on Tropicana Ave. by NYNY. On the return trip, it drops you off on Tropicana Ave. by the Tropicana Hotel. The WAX makes even fewer stops than the SDX.

4. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a suggestion, stay on the strip during the day, and visit Fremont at night. You may be sorely disappointed during the day, as there really is not much going on. Although I stay on Fremont almost exclusively, I rarely venture away from the pool during the day, as there just isnt anything much to do or see. The party starts at night....

5. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as downtown goes, I will generally get a room for the evening (super cheap) in order to wash up, or, even possibly crash for a few hours.

A few weeks ago, I took the WAX (pick up just South of NYNY) for $2.00. It takes about 20 minutes to get downtown.

Timchuk - it's good to see you posting again (As far as poker goes, the only two places you will see any NL action will be at Binions and Golden Nugget. A couple Sunday's ago, there were 3 tables of NL going on a Sunday night at about 3:00 a.m.. Lots of action and interesting plays!)

How's the golf game? Have you seen the new changes to the Brooks Golf Club?

6. Timchuk

Timchuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey sheldon,

I have played the new greens once but miss the old 9.

I love playing poker at aria and bellagio but the wife wants to check out freemont street. Thanks for the info and maybe i will try and play some cards downtown. When's your next trip? Take care

7. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take the deuce bus. double decker and cost 6 bucks for 24 hours. If you can get the front row up top it's well worth the price. To get back to the strip, get back on the bus at the corner of Freemont and LV blvd, next to Heart Attack Grill.

8. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The SDX is pretty quick -- and it's faster than The Deuce (less stops)

9. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last time to Vegas I bought my ticket for the deuce and the SDX bus pulled up going downtown. So my wife and I got on. However it got confusing real quick when there was no place to slide our ticket or even show the ticket to. The driver was behind glass. We stayed on the bus from about Paris to Wynn. Saw that there was a deuce bus at the Wynn so decided to hop off the SDX and get on the deuce.

When we got to the Freemont exit behind 4Q, the SDX bus drove by us and stopped to pick someone. I figured there was no way it was the same bus, but I recognized the driver as the driver of the bus we got off of.

Anyway, how do you show proof of ticket purchase when riding the SDX?

10. dalemccl

dalemccl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on my experience, sometimes a bus security officer gets on the bus at one of the stops, and while the bus travels to the next stop, he/she asks everyone to show their ticket. That hasn't happened every time I have ridden the SDX, but has happened at least half the trips. On some trips no one checked. I'm not sure what happens if the security officer checks and someone doesn't have a ticket.

11. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't!
    Sometimes there has been an RTC agent stationed at the stop and checking tickets for riders that go on the SDX. But most of the time you just get on, and keep your ticket in your pocket!

12. justvisiting

justvisiting Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the 24 hour price is $8 and the ticket is good on both Deuce and SDX. As someone else said ticket checking on the SDX varies from trip to trip. Sometimes they check at the stop as, or before you board ; sometimes they check during the trip; sometimes they don't check at all. If they do check and you don't have a valid ticket they will make you get off the bus, and signs indicate that you can be fined. The SDX is a bit faster than the Deuce but can get just as crowed during peak times. Also you need to use the Deuce after midnight since the SDX does not run 24 hours a day. I can't tell you what time the SDX starts running cause I was never out and about that early.!!!

Cheryl

13. Timchuk

Timchuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.