1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hana, Maui, eats

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been to Maui several times but never over to the east side. It doesn't sound like there are tons of food options over there. Does anyone have any recs?

Mahalo

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,

I cannot remember the name of the places, but there are several good locals options around the Hana Beach area. Much, much quieter and sedate on that side of the Island. Good shave ice and ice cream from a little shack right on the boardwalk area above the beach cove. Good plate lunches also if you like to eat local style. I don't remember any place that would be like Merriman's in Kapalua............

Also, as I am sure you know, you can drive around the south side of the Island, even though many rental agencies and guide books state that you cannot, or that the roads are not suitable for rental cars. No problems - just a small section of dirt road right as you are entering or leaving Hana. Makes the drive more enjoyable if done as a loop, instead of driving that crazy twisting road two times.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, R. We're planning on driving the "forbidden" highway and I'll write it up for a client. I love the dire warnings.

4. Hawaiianmark

Hawaiianmark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kipahulu and Kaupo are in the area; Kipahulu is where Charles Lindberg is laid to rest. The landing at Kaupo my Grandpa told that cattle were forced off ship and forced to swim in; wait for tide to raise at landing area to be brought to shore.

The St Josephs (i think) church is at Kaupo; most of my relatives from 1800's and later are buried there. The school house was next to it and the classes were taught K-8 by my greatgrandmother (Tutu Wahine Lily Aki) the class was mostly all brothers and sisters from our family. When you got older you went to Honolulu to "High School".

You got hurt or sick you had to rely on family.

Some shots of Kaupo past Hana that you might enjoy. Family ranch was at Kaupo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Done that drive twice.

Past Hana there's not much that I remember except for a small country store .
    Both times we packed a picnic lunch and plenty of drinks and snacks.
    Make sure theres no heavy rains predicted for that remote area of the Island .Theres some gullys where a flash flood could wash you out to sea.
    This is a long day so get a good nights sleep and try to leave early.
    A lot to see ,hopefully you'll have a nice sunny day.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I survived the Road To Hana, but I don't remember any dining other than snack stands and such.

7. blue808

blue808 Lahaina Strong.!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hana eats

There's Tutu's at Hana Bay... plate lunches, drinks and shaved ice and the Ranch Restaurant across from the post office... it's a sit down restaurant with a take out window on the side... you can get snacks and stuff at the Ranch General Store (by the Restaurant, above the post office) and of course Hasegawa General Store.

Right at the entrance to Hana Bay, stop and say aloha to Kevin. He rents out the kayaks and does eco-tours... a great guy and very interesting personality. He can give you some great tips about the east side.

Have fun..!:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.