1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dog Boarding - Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like I may have to bring my dog on my next trip to Vegas in April (don't ask!), but there is no way I want to keep her with me on The Strip. I am usually way too drunk and irresponsible to worry about things like potty breaks and feedings. :wink2:

I am looking for recommendations for dog boarding in Las Vegas. I've got a car, so proximity to The Strip isn't necessary.

My dog is small (10 lbs) and I can do a kennel, but I'd prefer a place with more interaction with humans and other dogs.

Looking around online, Just Like Home and Camp Bow Wow are highly rated, but I'm still looking.

Any advice? (other than don't bring the dog) :)

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the two years we lived in Vegas we always took our dog to Doggie District when traveling.

They honestly seemed to really like the dog. They have an indoor and outdoor play area where they group the dogs by size. Our handful weights ~50 pounds.

http://www.doggiedistrict.com/

We had total confidence in them when we had to leave the dog. btw, she just turned 9 yesterday!
    Shepard/Lab and who knows what else. She adopted us 8.5 years ago.:thumbsup:
    I think the great thing is the ability to socialize with other dogs off leash

3. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

Petsmart always works well for me. They don't take the dogs outside, which is a safety plus in my book. They let them do their business at an indoor area. You can add stuff like "doggie day camp" where the dogs get to play with each other and human staff for the majority of the day. I'm happy with the service I've received from them, and my dogs are always completely worn out by the time I get them home, which is a huge plus when you've got a massive Las Vegas hangover.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ike! I've found Petsmart boarding to be a bit uneven. Some places it's great and at others not so much. We went to leave our other dog at a "chain store" day care place on one trip (not Vegas) and it was a nightmare. We ended up having to change all our plans and keep her with us.

Joe, I was trying to remember which place you guys used. I got another referral for them from someone else. I need to see if they can waive her evaluation since I can't just stop by before we get there.

My fear is that I'll book a place that isn't what it appears to be and I'll have to drag her around all weekend. Maybe I should pack a service dog vest, just in case. :ssst: Or maybe Snert will bring his backpack and we can keep her in there. :haha:

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did forget about the evaluation, but all they did the initial time was take her back for about 10 minutes, so I would talk to them ahead of time and I would think it would be fine. Unless you have a dog with issues.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may need to bring proof of your puppy's up to date vaccinations from your vet.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have boarded our dogs in many places over the years. Every single one wanted these records. I would expect that is standard.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The vaccinations are standard and not a problem. I joke about her being a service dog, but she does go everywhere with me. She keeps up on all her shots (we're going Tuesday) because she goes to dog day care sometimes and we do board her locally. She also gets groomed every couple weeks so her feet don't smell like Fritos. :haha:

Attached Files:

9. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be easier to find something local to home?

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a couple good places near home, but this is a much longer trip than just Las Vegas. I'm 2 nights on the road and then 6 nights in Vegas. After that we need to do a check in with my parents on the Central CA Coast and a couple other stops on the way home. It may be as long as 3 weeks I'll be away from home and I wouldn't board her that long.

11. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

My coworker sends his three corgis to Doggie District (Rainbow/Flamingo) M-F. He likes it, and the pups enjoy it. It's probably been two years or so they've been going there.

12. Kort Jester

Kort Jester Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    House sitter?

Just a thought outside the box.
    How about a house sitter for your home AND dog while you are away so long?

I have a friend who does that here in MN.
    Of course your dog sounds "well traveled" but our would prefer to stay home where they have there things...

Apparently they told this to my wife....

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks vegasbound. I've got an email in to them to see if they'll waive the evaluation for Ruby.

Kort - My husband will be home so I don't need a sitter for him. It's just that he's got a huge work project going on and there is no way to know what hours he'll be here this time. Usually he can work from home or work partial days when I'm out of town. He works at a hospital so he has been known to be there around the clock sometimes.

My dog talks to me sometimes. She usually says "Look how good I am! I think someone deserves a cookie!"

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Advise

Since your husband will be home even if he is hardly ever home due to his hospital work I would leave the dog home. I think the safest place for a dog is
    their home. Yes, your dog will miss you and get angry with you but the best part
    is your dog will be SAFE.

I know you care and love your doggie but it will be a super hassell to take your dog with you while you travel alone. Unless you have a friend traveling with you.

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If she leaves the dog at home, no one will take care of it for much of 3 weeks. If she takes the dog with her, for 2+ weeks, the dog is with her, and for a few days in the Vegas part of the trip, it might be boarded. I'm pretty sure that makes more sense to me.

16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, try www.dogvacay.com
    This is in-home boarding. Our Buster is one pampered pooch and just doesn't do well with kennel boarding. He likes to be part of a family. This may be something that will work well for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.