1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas 1975 room rates compared to now....

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by waverunner, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. wndrwmn71

wndrwmn71 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting how the Riviera and the Trop was just a hair cheaper than CP. now they don't even compare.

I know the Holday Inn Center Strip is now Harrah's, but what is/was the H.I. South? And the Royal Inn?

Man, I wish I was this age back then. Feel like I missed out on a golden age. Maybe I'll have stories about staying in The Mirage and The Old Bird in my senior years...

3. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted this back a while ago and everyone enjoyed it. Here are the pics of the Hotels from 1975. The Royal Inn was next to the Desert Inn, the Marina Hotel was next to Tropicana.
    http://gaming.unlv.edu/Xanadu/then.html

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember some prices very clearly from my first visit in the late 70s.

El Cortez ROTH rooms were $9.95. At the time, Holiday Inn rooms on Cape Cod were $40-ish and just a few weeks before the LV trip I had stayed a weekend in Connecticut at a HoJo for $20-ish per night.

As for food, I remember the El Cortez $.99 breakfast, which would cost you maybe $9 now in a coffee shop or Blueberry Hill. They also had this HUGE steak for less than $5 for a full dinner. Compare that to contemporary ala carte steakhouse pricing today! I remember the $2.95 prime rib dinner, similar to what you would get at Jerry's Nugget for $13 or so today, which is STILL a great bargain.

Oh well ...

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably can google it, but the prices for everything have gone wayyyy up compared to those in vegas for room / food. Quality I am not so sure about but compare gasoline or price for a quart of oil and milk-bread from then to now. A loaf of bread is almost 8x and gas about 3x. But then the properties are older now....ha.

6. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a nifty calculator: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

A $20 room in 1975 is the same as an $86 room today.
    Gasoline at $3.80? In 1975, that $3.80 a gallon corresponded to 89-cents.

7. acoluzzi

acoluzzi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes those 1975 resort pictures are the coolest thing ever. I never get tired of looking at them.

8. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too!!
    The most striking contrast is the vast amount of open space on Las Vegas Blvd.
    Great pictures.

9. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always like looking at the way the strip was; but, that doesn't mean that the "good ole days" were so good. The Federal Minimum Wage in 1975 was 2.10 an hour and the average was 4.68 an hour; so, cost wise for a four or five day Vegas vacation could be pretty similiar.

Remember, in 2025 1995 will be the "good ole days" of Vegas for us.

10. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much for this info. I love seeing this. It seems that the rates were significantly lower though.

Across the board, all the rooms cost what Imperial Palace normally would cost today.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen to that! I don't yearn for days "the boys ran the town" and if the Sands, Dunes, etc were still here, they'd look like the Riviera now does. Respect the days gone by, but live for today and tomorrow.

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about the rate at the Hilton, one of the most expensive on the list.

I worked at a NJ Holiday Inn in the late 1970's, a room cost $35 or $37.50 with tax. Most unusual experiences was checking in my junior year high school English teacher. I wonder why he used a different name to register at 10:00 pm on a Saturday night? Thankfully, he didn't remember me.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.